Kraton V5 vs. EXB diffs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, if you do opt for the exb diffs, don't get the open diff shim kit. The sun gear is too weak to not have the smaller round plates supporting the X where the pin goes. I went through 3 sets of internals on my exb pretty quickly and was pulling my hair out. I gutted all 3 diffs when I got it and put the open shim kit in so I didn't have to deal with things changing as the plates wore or whatever. Then I kept shelling out the rear internal gears.

The round plates need to be on the larger gears to support the X. Then you can use shims to make up the rest of the space if you want or do what I did and just live with one larger plate against the ring gear and cup with 2 round plates on the back of the sun gears.

Like this:
2022-0930-kraton-HowIHaveLSDPlates.jpg

Or check this post and the thread within it to go with the 2 round plates and shims along with HSS stock for the pins:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/6s-diff-bullitproofed-😎.57229/post-839431

It has been a while for me. Did not use my kraton v1 since Feb 2021. Last weekend I used my car again using 6s with shimmed standard diffs and luckily everything is still working fine.

But I would like to have bullet proof diff sets for my kraton and I am reading LSD open diff sets. What does this exactly mean?

It has been a while for me. Did not use my kraton v1 since Feb 2021. Last weekend I used my car again using 6s with shimmed standard diffs and luckily everything is still working fine.

But I would like to have bullet proof diff sets for my kraton and I am reading LSD open diff sets. What does this exactly mean?

"IF" I am answering your question correctly. I've made my rear diff on the Kraton/Talion EXB open. It is an LSD diff, so making the LSD open would be removing the stars and circles shims that are inside the LSD style diff as pictured above.

Then you would use the Arrma shim kit they made to convert it adding their shims/washer in place of the stars and the circle LSD shims in the same LSD diff housing. This would be open and no more limited slip diff.

I do not know the spec... LSD diff gears are a step up over the other 6S diffs. With an open LSD diff conversion, you are getting much better gearing or gears over the other using it as full LSD or converting it to OPEN LSD.

Thanks! I really need to catchup… I see that I have missed a lot in the last years…

I am using standard diffs and shimmed them (think I have a v3 diff set). So far so good…

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back