Typhon Way too loud, can't figure out why

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I recently rebuilt my Typhon and I cannot figure out why its so loud. All bearings are new, I've checked the diffs multiple times and everything looks normal. Tried it with the front center driveshaft removed, then rear, then both removed. Quieter, but louder than it should be. Only time its not loud is just spinning the pinion gear without it being engaged with the center diff. Sounds 100% normal then. With everything in place, it is easily twice as loud as my Talion.

Not sure the video captures just how loud it is. Seriously there is no way I'm running it like this, its painfully loud. Only thing I thought of but don't know how to check is possibly the motor shaft is bent slightly? Couldn't tell rolling it by hand, but I ran this motor a good bit previously so maybe it got damaged? Just don't remember because it was in the parts bin for a few months.

It's hard to tell. The only two things I can think of that would increase gear noise is the gear mesh that is too tight and spiral cut gears run backwards.

Sounds like you mixed a spiral with a straight cut gear. Typhon is 43-13 straight gp5.

Otherwise you’re a little tight on mesh. Isolate each section by removing dogbones.

Sounds like you mixed a spiral with a straight cut gear. Typhon is 43-13 straight gp5.

Otherwise you’re a little tight on mesh. Isolate each section by removing dogbones.
You're probably right. I had 3 diffs in my parts bin, 2 for the Typhon, 1 for the Fireteam, may have mixed them up.
Will check alater tonight.
Could you unplug your ESC fan so we can hear more clearly..
Gonna check to see if I have the wrong diff, if not I'll do another vid with fans off.

Checked the diffs and they are all straight cut, bummer because that would be an easy fix. Here's another video with fans off:
Keep in mind this is 3s and not pulling throttle all the way.

I could pull my Talion motor and try it to see if its a motor issue, not sure what else there is to check.

The inputs gears were straight cut too? Could just be difference in teeth mesh that needs to mate up since they may not have been together. I usually like to replace both or keep them as a pair because of position based on shimming and machining tolerances.

And unless you have a drag brake on, I'd expect longer coasting off throttle.

Yes, 13t straight cut. Drag brake is set low, so it should roll more after throttle release.

I recently rebuilt my Typhon and I cannot figure out why its so loud. All bearings are new, I've checked the diffs multiple times and everything looks normal. Tried it with the front center driveshaft removed, then rear, then both removed. Quieter, but louder than it should be. Only time its not loud is just spinning the pinion gear without it being engaged with the center diff. Sounds 100% normal then. With everything in place, it is easily twice as loud as my Talion.

Not sure the video captures just how loud it is. Seriously there is no way I'm running it like this, its painfully loud. Only thing I thought of but don't know how to check is possibly the motor shaft is bent slightly? Couldn't tell rolling it by hand, but I ran this motor a good bit previously so maybe it got damaged? Just don't remember because it was in the parts bin for a few months.
First impression is that I hear a too tightly meshed pinion gear. Double check that. I doesn't sound good to me.
My TLRT Typhon does not sound like that. If it did, I would adress the pinon mesh first thing. Then check for binding elswhere. It sounds like Gears are binding. To me that "buzzing" sound when throttling Up and down, just sounds like the pinion and Spur don't have enough backlash. (Play)
Could even be the Fr and/or Rr main/input gears over shimmed.
Troubleshoot by process of elimination. Start at the pinion gear. The easiest one.
Don't overlook the motor and its BB's and Armature/rotor, after you checked all else with no positive results.

Last edited:
My money is on a shagged gear or bearing in the center diff. In the beginning you even had the center shafts off and it still made the noise. It didn’t go away until you ran the motor independently. That, to me, says center diff.

Yeah to me that buzzing sound, was very familiar to me. And def. at the center diff .
Maybe just a pinion mesh issue? Could be a BB? Just never heard a BB sound like that unless it exploded. That would be very obvious at that point.

Edited.

Last edited:
I went ahead and put a new motor bearing in on the front side of the motor, needed to be replaced. The back bearing was still fine. Best i could tell the armature looked ok. Tried to see if the motor shaft was straight and it at least looked straight. I got the mesh where I wanted it, then spin the pinion 1/3 rotation checked again it was fine, spin another 1/3 and it was noticeably tighter. I'm thinking the motor shaft isn't completely straight. Last time I ran it was about 6 months ago and had a decent crash, thinking the motor shaft must have bent slightly.
Went ahead and ordered another Spektrum motor from Jenny's. They are cheap and plenty of power for general bashing with the Typhon.

High chances the pinion gear isnt completely round from the factory. With motor off, run the motor and observe the pinion gear with your eye side ways.
I even test with my finger lightly touching the pinion gear while applying slight throttle to feel the imperfections of the pinion gear. (disregard this if its too dangerous for you:))

I went ahead and put a new motor bearing in on the front side of the motor, needed to be replaced. The back bearing was still fine. Best i could tell the armature looked ok. Tried to see if the motor shaft was straight and it at least looked straight. I got the mesh where I wanted it, then spin the pinion 1/3 rotation checked again it was fine, spin another 1/3 and it was noticeably tighter. I'm thinking the motor shaft isn't completely straight. Last time I ran it was about 6 months ago and had a decent crash, thinking the motor shaft must have bent slightly.
Went ahead and ordered another Spektrum motor from Jenny's. They are cheap and plenty of power for general bashing with the Typhon.
Almost sounds like a mis-match gear pitch or rough edge on the pinion/spur to me.

Hope the motor was it!

One thing is for sure, that machine looks like its going to rip!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back