What a horrible start to a holiday weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: My parents still have their farm in Iowa. A storm went thru the other day...... Over 500 tillable acres.... all crops lost due to golf ball sized hail.

Shredded

I am about to turn 58, we have never had that happen before. Some damage, yes, tornadoes and heavy damage in the area, but never a direct hit like this.

On the good side, nobody was hurt, everything is covered by insurance, etc, etc..... but they say the look of it all is rather surreal

I'm sorry 😞 . I'd probably do what's been suggested so far, then silicone spray all rubber pieces like bushings under the car, along with fuel and brake lines, then WD-40 the crap out of the undercarriage and inside the door jambs. There are red straw extensions online up to 50 inches in length to spray deep into the jambs. Get a shop-vac with the angle piece and get as much water out as possible, then some carpet shampoo mixed in a bucket, grab a fabric brush from those car detailing aisles in the stores, then vacumn it out again, spray distilled water mixed with liquid air freshner from those same aisles, then vacumn it out once more and dry. I use to detail cars back in the day. You can take door jamb seals off and work those super long spray extensions and spray WD-40 all in through there. Again, I'm sorry about the car. Subarus are neat vehicles. Can't beat AWD.
If my wife wasn't so gung ho on Mazda, I was 100% all in on a Forester. But I'm only 49% of the decision for her

This sucks, hate it happened to you.

There are drain holes under the carpet in the floor, also in the trunk down where the spare would be, pop them out to help any standing water exit. If you can, get the front seats out along with the rear seat bottom and remove the carpet. Lay the carpet over a railing or something in the sun so it can drip and the sun will help. Insurance will want to total it more than likely but you can save it. Should be minimal effect to any electrical since all vehicle connectors are "weather pack" connectors.
WLQMXzsNhRTFmuN5xYrpUOeIYmrDcUixwT9K6N44Vjs.jpeg
maxresdefault.jpg

Update: My parents still have their farm in Iowa. A storm went thru the other day...... Over 500 tillable acres.... all crops lost due to golf ball sized hail.

Shredded

I am about to turn 58, we have never had that happen before. Some damage, yes, tornadoes and heavy damage in the area, but never a direct hit like this.

On the good side, nobody was hurt, everything is covered by insurance, etc, etc..... but they say the look of it all is rather surreal

If my wife wasn't so gung ho on Mazda, I was 100% all in on a Forester. But I'm only 49% of the decision for her

Man.. That's Brutal!!
I'm Sorry to hear that as well.
So glad nobody was injured thru that kind of storm.

Hope insurance will get them back up on their feet and for them to have an Abundant harvest next season! 💪

Man.. That's Brutal!!
I'm Sorry to hear that as well.
So glad nobody was injured thru that kind of storm.

Hope insurance will get them back up on their feet and for them to have an Abundant harvest next season! 💪
Thank you..... it is covered...... it will not derail ownership. Farming has been good them, but this was pretty extreme.

To the original poster. Bought a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac that has a salvage title. It was in a flood in 2005. I bought it 2007. I have had it ever since, has been reliable, has 216000 miles on it now. (68000 when I bought it). Everything works as it should from day one for me.

I know all vehicles are different, as well as situations, but I hope your situation works out well for you.

Last edited:
Back