Hey I want to buy a rock crawler for me and my dad where should I start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've seen some serious advancements in RTR crawlers, even since I got back into RC back in May. I started with a Axial Base Camp, added tires, and a Hobbywing Fusion Pro system, which transformed the power delivery-muuuch better. Then, I added an AE Enduro Ecto, upgraded tires, and installed another HW fusion pro system. Better yet. About 4 weeks ago, I added a Axial Capra 4WS (4 wheel steering). Still better. This buggy is a game changer. Tires only, so far, but better electronics than the 1st two. I pulled the Fusion pro out of the Base Camp, for the Capra, then sold the Base Camp. Came across a scratch and dent Capra deal at Tower, which amounted to ~$200 off, because one of the leds in the light bar was out. Now I have 2. When I researched the Vanquish VRD Stance, I had to have that, and it is inbound. I enjoy taking these rigs out stock, then adding tires, and other mods, testing one change at a time, to improve performance. Some like the gummy dual stage foam tire set up on the VRD well enough, they're not even spending the ~$100 to do top shelf rubber and foams. They'll all likely need servos (two for the Capra). If I had to pick only one, having not driven the VRD, I'd pick the Capra. It's going to do things no drag axle set up can, and you won't be spending time and money replacing noisy lexan bodies. Some whine that a 4WS rock buggy is a "cheater car". They've got that wrong. If you've ever done any real full scale off roading, in a street legal vehicle, you come to realize, quickly, that you are compromising-pressing a vehicle that's designed for the roads, off of the road. You can total that vehicle with one light rollover. A purpose built, tube frame off road machine can roll over, then be flipped back over, and just keep on truckin', because it's built for technical terrain.
Box stock vs custom Capras, in the red rocks
Very intriguing video thanks

All good info but it's an assumption that they want to do comps and play on the big rocks. If that's true I doubt they will find a completely stock rig to compete and will need to build/customize the rig for the rules. It's the same conversation I have with racing friends. The problem is my wife doesn't want to drive an Spec Touring car.
15984970b551bf671da1240f12ad845d.jpg

My TRX4 is capable, but it's not, nor ever will be a belly drager. However, I'm considering the new Vanquish VRD or the Axial Pro to build something more capable. But still a completely custom tuned rig will be better.

If you want a scale truck, TRX is good. The Axial CJ-7 is pretty awesome. It's far from the most capable but looks great.
axi03008t1.jpg

BTW I love the Injora wheels. They are good quality and a fraction of Vanquish or SSDs. You can find brass everything for the TRX if that's your thing, but don't buy cheap brass, it may not t fit right. The body mounts are goofy though.
I find the TRX-4 up there in pricing. Many getting into the Crawlers only because of the scale realism looks only, what entices them. Not understanding what they are, why they run slower with very low gearing. I was initially also guilty of this. Disappointed and all with my first Axial. Then after watching videos and Comping, I learned how they need to be dialed to perform on the rocks.They are not bashers. They are for Crawling good lines on the Rocks. That's it. I had to pretty much swap out almost every TRX part to get it to be somewhat comparable to my 2 Axials, that are close to stock, out the box.
Not that anyone competes these for the most part. Just the rocks are the rocks and out the box, some are way better than others. Just once you get into them well enough, and there is a lot to learn as you go, you will see that Axials and others are in fact better than a TRX-4. Yeah I got Injoras and other off brands. VP wheels are ludicrously $$$. Better to spend coin on decent Tires and FOAMS. Think PitBull tires and Crawler Innovation Foams.
But any metal Beadlocked wheels are great. Way better than ANY Glue on Crawler stock wheels. My TRX-4 Sport, was a freebie from a friend who was totaly new to RC and it wasn't for him, as much as I helped him etc. He just gave it to me. He trashed it. He sucked at driving. Hard to trash a Crawler but he did rather fast.:LOL:
BTW, the Only TRX-4 I and many other hard core Crawler guys would recommend is the Sport. Cheapest and actually performs way better than the nicer bodied ones. I mainly do trail walking/hiking with my TRX-4. What I find it's best for IMHO. The TRX-4 has a horrible Steering sweep angle out the box. Quite limited. Little things like this and other factors matter with Crawling. What separates the men from the boys.
There is much not that obvious to a first time Crawler buyer. All they see is a pretty and expensive body.
>>> said it before,,,, the TRX-4 Crawler shocks themselves are superb if anything. So I run them on my Axial's as well. It is a Crawler thing. And JennysRC has them cheapest.

Last edited:
I say you start with a couple of Gorgon's for less than 300$ and work your way towards rock crawling. The Gorgon is a great basher but it can also do some limited crawling.

Associated Electrics makes a decent entry level crawler. It is called Gatekeeper and is similar to Axial Capra. It was less than $400.00 US when I bought mine.

I started with a Axial Base Camp, added tires, and a Hobbywing Fusion Pro system, which transformed the power delivery-muuuch better.
I upgraded to the HW Fusion Pro and 110% agree. It's unbelievably, has a ton of control on the low end and doesn't disappoint on the top end. It's more pricey than a brushed setup but it's does perform much better too.
BTW, the Only TRX-4 I and many other hard core Crawler guys would recommend is the Sport. Cheapest and actually performs way better than the nicer bodied ones. I mainly do trail walking/hiking with my TRX-4.
I'm not a hard core crawler guys, because I don't have the axial, but I still agree here. I bought the trail kit (no body) which includes the 2-speed trans and the lockers and it's mostly unnecessary.

The trans is "nice" occasionally if you want some wheel speed or to spin a donut (which you shouldn't be doing with a crawler anyway). What I find is that I mostly forget it's in high-gear, because the Fusion is that good, and just put extra strain on the drive train. Then I wonder why it's not doing what I want it to.

The lockers are marginally more useful. There are occasions when climbing when I want the back to slip more than the front. There have been a few off camber spots where I want to square it up on the hill also. But other than those specific instances it's worthless. A dig unit is more useful to be honest.

Also the added servos, add weight, make it more complex and they are 6V max. So if you want to run your steering at 8.4V you have to some fancy jiggering, explained here. Then there is mapping it to a new radio here.

These features are just Traxxas trying to be everything to everyone. The idea is that you can be a crawler, then unlock the diffs, kick it in high-gear and you get a basher. It's doesn't work like that. . . . I mean it makes Traxxas better than all the others. 😁

+!!
On every single point made. You obviously know your Crawlers quite well. And know how they are supposed to be setup and driven.
Yet many just cross the line with them and treat them like Bashers. Thinking how to make them even faster, when actually you want them to run even slower, so better controlled linear modulated torque is achieved.

>>>When evaluating Crawler ESC and motor setups, they are tested and compared by seeing which setup/brand actually can run the very slowest. And Not the fastest. ;)
Digs are best. Probably a must have upgrade, if anything. (y)

I tried BLX. I prefer high end Brushed setups best. If you have a Good Brushed ESC and a nice rebuild-able Holmes Hobbies Motor, brushed setups will absolutely hold their own. Just me. And I feel they are more forgiving in the Wet , mud, streams and the snow. And they cost much less, overall. Brushes are replaceable as well, and Brushed motors alone are much more water friendly. But I get it that BLX seems to be Pushed more so lately. Is what it is.

Lockers and 2 speed.....is just all $fluff$, that bloats and needlessly complicates an otherwise great Crawler setup. Which is Not what a Crawler even needs. The Micro servos suck, and yeah that 6v BEC becomes a restriction. (n)(n)

I want my Steering Servo to have the highest voltage BEC available. A powerful ST. Servo is one of the most important components of any decent Crawler setup.

>>>>>That is where I feel TRX got their TRX-4 wrong. Their Simple basic bare bones "Sport" setup rules, if anything for this reason. The Defender for example is quite bloated, while bringing it to a much higher price point. You are mostly just paying for that highly detailed Range Rover Licensed and very top heavy body. Great for show on the shelf if that is your thing.
Edited.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back