Mojave What pinion for Hobbywing 4985SL 1650KV motor on Mojave?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TITANIUM94010

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
What pinion do I use for Hobbywing 4985SL 1650KV motor on Mojave EXB? I've heard this is a lower KV than usual on this car. I want to be able to hit 50ish mph, maybe more, if it takes 2 different pinions to have both speed and efficiency/less heat, thats fine too.

My RTR Mojave gets to 53mph consistently with the stock gear running a standard blx2050 kv and Blx185 (6s) and doesn't even break a sweat heat wise.. And its fairly heavy with the upgraded M2C chassis, braces and JBI towers. I imagine the fat HW 4985 at 1650kv is all about torque.

I am running 18t in mijn kraton exb now?have driven a 20t for a while ? then you have to immediately pay attention to the temperature.
But it's too much power that you don't get on the road.
That is why I have an 18t and that is actually too much.

I’m on 26t w 46t spur w my 4985sl. Badboy cooks!! PB is 78.2
I don’t recommend doing this in your neighborhood tho. At those speed w such a monster it’s very difficult to control. Actually on the brink of uncontrollable. Side note, the rtr body parachutes and will take flight (backflip) at 59-60mph so be prepared if this is where you’re heading. ;-)

My build will be at least 24/46, and I bought a 26/27/28t if it seems slow. I run my hobbystar 4092's (1480 and 1730) on 24/46 on my other rigs and they do fine with a 40x28 fan on top. This build will have the same, and I'd assume with the smaller tires i'll need a little taller gearing to get it in the mid 50's to upper 60's like my other 6s rigs. I don't stay wide open very far, but I like having it on hand hahahaha. Most of my rigs now are short blips on the throttle to half to 3/4 throttle and that is plenty for what I have room for out here. It makes for some fun on the gravel roads too!

Just try and play and see what you like?and enjoy?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back