Fireteam What Pinion for a 1650kv Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mlenn

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what Pinion people are running with a Max 6 1650kv hobbywing setup in their Fireteam? Just did my 1st run with an 18T and the motor got to about 170F after half a pack? No Motor fan fitted yet but for 18T didn't think i'd need to. Drivetrain is all moving freely. TIA

Fireteam is heavy, I think 20t with fans is what I would do but maybe you should add fans and see what it does for your temps with the 18t

what was outdoor ambient temps? If it’s 85+ and you were drawing heavy constant amperage the rig is geared appropriately. Get a high cfm fan setup on the can if you want to play hard during hot days. Or give it a break every 5 minutes…. I’m 18/46 max 6 combo and have a 40mm rocket and it’ll go hard all day under 80 degrees ambient.

Edit-6S backflips or Losi SBR 2.0 beadlok ~175mm

Last edited:
I run a 21 on my wife’s Fireteam with the Max6, 1650 combo. I do have a fan on the motor and run for 10 minute intervals between rigs. Temps are regular at 160.…….I don’t run any hotter than this ever.
cheers,
kev

what was outdoor ambient temps? If it’s 85+ and you were drawing heavy constant amperage the rig is geared appropriately. Get a high cfm fan setup on the can if you want to play hard during hot days. Or give it a break every 5 minutes…. I’m 18/46 max 6 combo and have a 40mm rocket and it’ll go hard all day under 80 degrees ambient.
Was about 77 ambient. Have a decent fan ready to go on it. Don't know why but I thought stock pinion was 15 but looks like it's 12, so that explains why it was getting hotter than I expected.

I run double 40mmx 20mm fans and no Heatsink , just a double fan mount, All else is stocker 6s electrics. ( 2050kv) My FT is Heavy, without much of any upgrades
I'm running a 17T/50T, my motor temps get over 160F if over 85F outside. Cooldowns are simply necessary when in hot weather. 15T pinion was the OE Speed gear, FWIW.
I imagine a 1650kb motor with a 21T pinion is roughly equivalent to my 17T/2050kv motor in this regard.
Need a nice fan setup TBH.
You can't really evaluate the best Pinion size, if your Fan solution is not in place already. You will be chasing a ghost, if that makes any sense. The pinion should be one that gives you the best torque and speed. But only if the Fan setup is already covered. The stock Fireteam Fan setup is horrible out the box. The single Fan and Heatsink offers minimal cooling at best compared to my Double fan setup and Fan mount. A heatsink only works against you. More rapid cooldowns with a fan mount blowing directly at the motor. (2) 20x40 mm fans are best.
There was no way I could run my 17T Pinion with the stock Fan and HS. Even on a cool day. Even the 15T included Speed gear was too hot with the stock fan setup.

Last edited:
Fireteam is heavy, I think 20t with fans is what I would do but maybe you should add fans and see what it does for your temps with the 18t
Fan is the next step - yes its well heavy with the 1650 and batteries. Cheers for the reply
I run double 40mmx 20mm fans and no Heatsink , just a double fan mount, All else is stocker 6s electrics. ( 2050kv) My FT is Heavy, without much of any upgrades
I'm running a 17T/50T, my motor temps get over 160F if over 85F outside. Cooldown are simply necessary when in hot weather. 1
15T pinion was the OE Speed gear, FWIW.
I imagine a 1650kb motor with a 21T pinion is equivalent to my 17T in this regard.
Need a nice fan setup TBH.
You can't really evaluate the best Pinion size, if your Fan solution is not in place already. You will be chasing a ghost, if that makes any sense.
Nice one - cheers. I have a fan setup ready to go but thought I'd run without for 1st run.

Stock FT installed Pinion is 12T, Speed gear is 15T. (included in a bag in the box)
Identical to a RTR K6s
But running 1650kv motor requires an even larger Pinion. Running a 12T in a 1650 motor doesn't cut it. Neither will the 15T "speed gear".
Like stated above, a 21T should work, but only if you have a decent fan solution. Cooldowns are just always part of the equation when the weather is very hot.
A temp gun is the only way to evaluate accurately enough.
Having a range of pinions on hand, maybe 19T-23T is best.

Last edited:
I run an 18t pinion on my Kraton XL with the hobbywing 1650kv and a max 6. GNSS said 64 MPH on pavement. With no fans, the motor never gets over 160f after a pack on dirt/short grass. Running stock Copperhead 2 tires (I have to reglue them frequently, lol). Very happy with this setup

^^
Yeah 18T with a 1650kv motor is quite conservative. (y) Considering I run a 17T with my 2050kv, temp wise. And still gets you to 60+ MPH. But again depends how hot it is outside. I am good mostly year round running cool and well into the 60's MPH, yet the moment it's 85F +outside, I need to cooldown every so often. Temps will skyrocket. With a good fan solution barely a minute sitting idle, gets it to cool down fast. Just the nature of the beast.

Was about 77 ambient. Have a decent fan ready to go on it. Don't know why but I thought stock pinion was 15 but looks like it's 12, so that explains why it was getting hotter than I expected.
you have to remember with the new motor the kv is lower so you HAVE to gear it higher than stock if you want the same speed as stock.

I run a 20T pinion with my Castle 1650. I started with an 18T, but it was too slow. I run a single 40mm high rpm fan on my motor: I could probably run a 21T pinion without having heat issues.

A formula for KV conversion is Multiply your current kv and pinion tooth count then divide it by your new kv rating. This will give you a close approximation for an equivalent pinion size.

+1
doing that will get you to the rough aprox. same speed as the Prior motor's kv.(y)
Give or take.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back