Kraton What size bearings to use in the bellcrank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
I want to swap out the bushing and replace it with a bearing like I have read others are doing. I don't have it apart and am going to the LHS in a few. Does anyone know the correct size bearing to do this? I haven't seen anyone specify a size for the Kraton...they just say they have done it.

6x10x3 were correct. I also used 2 shims per bellcrank. It has definitely helped in taking some of the slop out of the steering. It has really helped with setting the end points because there was so much slop before that I couldn't move the steering by pushing the button...I had to press and hold it. I think the slop caused misalignment and the servo couldn't push through in small start/stop increments.

Has anyone noticed the bearings failing prematurely when using shims?

I didn't pay any attention as to how the bearings sit in the bellcrank...it seems like the inner race gets loaded when using the shims when tightening the top red plate down. I don't feel any binding at all and the bell cranks turn so smooth but i do wonder how the inner race is loaded vs the outer race. Is the inner race supported by the counterbore shoulder?

6x10x3 were correct. I also used 2 shims per bellcrank. It has definitely helped in taking some of the slop out of the steering. It has really helped with setting the end points because there was so much slop before that I couldn't move the steering by pushing the button...I had to press and hold it. I think the slop caused misalignment and the servo couldn't push through in small start/stop increments.
I have some Fast Eddy bearings and also going to replace the stock bushings in my steering bellcrank. I've also noticed a lot of slop with way too much up & down play. Did you use 6x10 shims for your steering bellcrank?

I'm not sure what the OD is though.
Thanks for your quick reply. I see the Losi shim specs do not show the O.D. or thickness? It looks like the O.D. of the Losi shims is less than 10mm in the pics comparing them with the 6x10mm shim pics? Was there extra room around the O.D. of the shims when you installed them? I was thinking these would work well (SWorkz 6x10x0.2mm), but hope the O.D. is ok (they are the exact same size as the bearings). Do you think they will work?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/sworkz-6x10x0.2mm-shim-10-swx-101019/p213992

I honestly think this would work better because you are pressing on the inner and outer races rather than just the inner.

The shims I am using only press on the inner race which worries me a bit but not enough to tear it down and replace them. I will do that when I swap the servo. But, for now it all moves as smooth as butter.

it's not a 6x10x3.
i ordered 6x10x3 Avid bearing off this post, and it doesn't fit. the bearing is too large
Then Avid sent you the wrong size bearings. The stock bushings are part number AR340067 and listed as 6x10x3. The bearings I have in my bellcrank are these https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRB-RC-6x1...632112&hash=item23531256bc:g:9-EAAOSwvApZ8z-7 and they fit just fine.

And to add too this thread, I found the planetary washers out of the Mugen E0206 diff washer kit work great for removing the slop in the bellcrank.

Then Avid sent you the wrong size bearings. The stock bushings are part number AR340067 and listed as 6x10x3. The bearings I have in my bellcrank are these https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRB-RC-6x1...632112&hash=item23531256bc:g:9-EAAOSwvApZ8z-7 and they fit just fine.

And to add too this thread, I found the planetary washers out of the Mugen E0206 diff washer kit work great for removing the slop in the bellcrank.

Perhaps I am confused on where these bearings are going. Also I have a v1 in this area on my Kraton. Many parts are v3, but the steering is untouched and still v1.

Screenshot_20180515-044823_Gallery.jpg

cordell. There are (4) Arrma bushings on the BELLCRANK, 2 on each side. You can replace these with 6x10x3 bearings (these come in Fast Eddy's bearing kit). You can also replace the 2 very small bushings on the steering ACKERMAN which are 4x7x2.5mm. These should work:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas-4x7x2.5mm-blue-rubber-sealed-ball-bearing-2-tra5124/p19057

slick2500. Did you use 5x18mm shims for the steering slop? I have some 6x9.5mm, 6x10mm, 6x11.5, & 6x12 shims/washers and will test which one of these works best, as one of these should be the perfect size. I will revert back on this...

cordell. There are (4) Arrma bushings on the BELLCRANK, 2 on each side. You can replace these with 6x10x3 bearings (these come in Fast Eddy's bearing kit). You can also replace the 2 very small bushings on the steering ACKERMAN which are 4x7x2.5mm. These should work:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas-4x7x2.5mm-blue-rubber-sealed-ball-bearing-2-tra5124/p19057

slick2500. Did you use 5x18mm shims for the steering slop? I have some 6x9.5mm, 6x10mm, 6x11.5, & 6x12 shims/washers and will test which one of these works best, as one of these should be the perfect size. I will revert back on this...

That's were I got confused then. Thought I was ordering bearings for Ackerman but ordered the Bellcrank size instead. Thanks for clarifying, I now need to order 2 more for Bellcrank and then 2 for the Ackerman.

No I used the small washers out of the Mugen e0206 diff washer kit, I had a ton of spares since my new diffs didn't need shims.

Just FYI...Fast Eddy includes 4 of the bearings for the bellcrank posts in the Outcast kit

No I used the small washers out of the Mugen e0206 diff washer kit, I had a ton of spares since my new diffs didn't need shims.
I agree, I also have a lot of extra diff shims, as my V3 Kraton diffs also did not really need shimming, although I haven't checked my V3 Talion diffs yet. Following the diff videos, I tried adding (2), then just (1) 5x18 shims to the larger sun gears, and also tried adding (1) 3.5x12x.2mm shim to each side of the planetary gears, but no matter what I tried, diffs were too tight. After countless dry fits, however, I did end up changing the (4) stock 3.5x12x.15mm shims to (4) .20mm thick shims, which seems to work well and diffs still turned smoothly. This kept gears even each side and only added .1mm thickness, just enough to tighten them up a bit more for handling 6S power. Anyways, so far diffs working great after doing this.

Ok, you used the 3.5x12 washers. I thought to shim the up and down play on the bellcrank would be the same size as the bearings or even a bit larger O.D. would work (6x10-6x12mm). I have not yet removed my aluminum top plate yet to shim & replace the stock bushings with bearings, so the steering posts must be a smaller diameter at the top (not 6mm, but only 3mm)? I gather the shims would be the same I.D. as the two 3mm screws which holds the aluminum top plate onto the bellcrank, as you're really shimming between the top plate and the bellcrank.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back