What soldering gear do i need?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
Okay, i admit it. I have no background in soldering, whatsoever. I've relied enough on friends now though that I think it's time to invest in my own gear. This will primarily be used for RC or hobby related stuff. My buddy has a decades old 140ish watt one that he likes (but obviously not made anymore). I don't want to cheap out and get a poor quality one that struggles to heat things up for soldering a 10awg wire. Should I buy cheap since I'm just starting out and learning? Or buy "an investment"? How many watts do I need for this hobby?

Make sure you get something that is at least 60w, and can use a small wedge tip. Avoid the 20w cheap irons, and the big >100w plumbers irons with giant wedge tips. 40W irons will work for 12g, but when you get to 10g and 8g wires, it will struggle.

Adjustable Soldering stations are nice, but really, you want to know how often I change mine off max? Maybe once, across several years of ownership. Wattage is key.

Other than the iron, get some good solder that is made for electronics. Also get a tip cleaner and some flux. (links are just quik searches from amazon, not exactly what I use, but close enough)

The oldies are solid workhorse..
Look at your local Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and see if you can get your hands on a stout soldering gun.
100Watts should cover just about anything this hobby require.

IMG_20220208_134510.jpg

I snatched this old bad boy for $10 cash.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-do-you-solder-these-or-protect-the-solder.50260/#post-718021

And, having a smaller pencil type iron helps when you are soldering thinner wires for your servos, receivers, etc..

Limited-time deal: Soldering Station, Merece Digital Soldering Iron Kit w/ 176℉-896℉ Adjustable Temperature (C/F), Standby & Sleep, Temperature Lock, 5 Solder Tips, Tip Cleaner, Solder Wire, Sucker - Fast Heating Up https://a.co/d/cUBHq9Y

This is what I use and it's great. Currently on sale for 40$. You should definitely buy some more tips tho.

These work great https://a.co/d/5msQqbm

Look at your local Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and see if you can get your hands on a stout soldering gun.

View attachment 233141
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-do-you-solder-these-or-protect-the-solder.50260/#post-718021

And, having a smaller pencil type iron helps when you are soldering thinner wires for your servos, receivers, etc..
I had an old Weller like that, used it for years. The biggest issue is that it will melt the plastic plug quick. It will also melt the solder on the other end of a 3" wire lead, if you are not paying attention. But, when you need a lot of heat for a big wire, they are handy.

View attachment 233141

I have the new version as I couldn’t wait for one to pop up on Craigslist. I love it!

I had an old Weller like that, used it for years. The biggest issue is that it will melt the plastic plug quick. It will also melt the solder on the other end of a 3" wire lead, if you are not paying attention. But, when you need a lot of heat for a big wire, they are handy.

For Use by Professionals Only ;)
Need to have some experience to operate properly..

But, I'm sure All of us have melted/mangled plenty of plugs, cables, circuit boards Before we got to where we are ,can confidently solder wires of all types/sizes.

No better time to learn than now.

One Serious Advice, I would add > Make sure your work area is clear of flammable items and the surface is relatively fire resistant.. Just in case.
No need to burn down your house while practicing soldering.

Last edited:

View attachment 233141

Would it work to have a small "pencil" style wurh changeable tips but has a bigger wattage?

Most of the sub $50 range solders irons are the pencil style.

I use a Hakko FX-888D. Love it. I solder 8g wire all the time with no issues at all. Get some fat chisel tips for the big stuff.

Edit: Can’t really go wrong with Hakko or Weller.

I really like the Hakko made soldering so much easier for me
Limited-time deal: Soldering Station, Merece Digital Soldering Iron Kit w/ 176℉-896℉ Adjustable Temperature (C/F), Standby & Sleep, Temperature Lock, 5 Solder Tips, Tip Cleaner, Solder Wire, Sucker - Fast Heating Up https://a.co/d/cUBHq9Y

This is what I use and it's great. Currently on sale for 40$. You should definitely buy some more tips tho.

These work great https://a.co/d/5msQqbm
I might be a total novice at soldering but I really struggled with that model. It actually broke on me the 1st time and the company sent me out a 2nd. Still had issues. Changed it out for a Hakko and it worked so much better.

Again it was probably my fault but I really struggled with it.

Would it work to have a small "pencil" style wurh changeable tips but has a bigger wattage?

Most of the sub $50 range solders irons are the pencil style.

The pencil types just don't get hot enough (& Quick enough) for big cables...
It may eventually heat up to what you need, but it's going to take a couple of minutes or more...

The gun type will heat up in seconds after you pull the trigger and take care of business.

Keep in mind, those soldering pencils will stay HOT constantly as long as it's plugged in.
The gun type is off until you pull the trigger.

So if you are new to soldering and kind of forgetful.. You don't want to leave a Hot soldering pencil accidentally left on all day. Just a heads up.

I really like the Hakko made soldering so much easier for me

I might be a total novice at soldering but I really struggled with that model. It actually broke on me the 1st time and the company sent me out a 2nd. Still had issues. Changed it out for a Hakko and it worked so much better.

Again it was probably my fault but I really struggled with it.
Damn that sucks. What did you struggle with exactly? I was a total noob when I got it and my first few solders weren't bad but after that I struggled super hard. I finally realized that I was struggling because the tips that come with the unit really suck. They don't last long and I was a noob so I didn't know you were supposed to even replace them 🤣. I did a bit more reading of the Amazon reviews and found out I needed new tips. After I bought the cheap pack I linked it worked perfectly and I've been busting out solder jobs ever since.

The tips that come with it only good for a few uses before needing to be replaced. The pack I bought lasted a lot longer.

It may eventually heat up to what you need, but it's going to take a couple of minutes or more...

The gun type will heat up in seconds after you pull the trigger and take care of business.

Keep in mind, those soldering pencils will stay HOT constantly as long as it's plugged in.

So if you are new to soldering and kind of forgetful.. You don't want to leave a Hot soldering pencil accidentally left on all day. Just a heads up.
See that's the genius of marketing. You can't market a poor product to an informed person. Like you all know what you need if you were searching for an iron. But someone like in my position, who doesn't know any the wiser, might just buy this one (https://a.co/d/fofQVQN) because they don't know anything else. I haven't yet experienced why a nicer gun style is worth the money.

Although, it gets me thinking that maybe getting a cheapo one at the beginning wouldn't be a terrible idea. It would be a chance to experience why I might appreciate better equipment. And if the cheaper pen style works just fine and I'm not annoyed at all, then that'd be peachy.

Damn that sucks. What did you struggle with exactly? I was a total noob when I got it and my first few solders weren't bad but after that I struggled super hard. I finally realized that I was struggling because the tips that come with the unit really suck. They don't last long and I was a noob so I didn't know you were supposed to even replace them 🤣. I did a bit more reading of the Amazon reviews and found out I needed new tips. After I bought the cheap pack I linked it worked perfectly and I've been busting out solder jobs ever since.

The tips that come with it only good for a few uses before needing to be replaced. The pack I bought lasted a lot longer.
yeah the 1st time the tip and the whole soldering unit broke. The 2nd unit just had really inconsistent heat. I guess it goes back to the soldering tips like you mentioned. Maybe I was over tightening them or something. I chalked it up to an ID 10 T error. I will have to buy that pack of soldering tips you recommended, thank you.

I didn't have a lot of experience soldering large (10AWG) wires and big connectors before getting into electric R/C, and thought I might get away with the 25-40W pencil irons I use for other electronics combined with good technique, but found they're not nearly enough, and the only thing that has worked for >12AWG and EC5 is a big 80W iron with chisel tip like this. It gets hot enough to work with both leaded and lead-free solder, and the tip's mass allows it to hold a lot heat so the temperature doesn't plummet when you touch it to the work.

The key to getting good joints without risking damage to nearby components (especially important when dealing with LiPo battery wires, as overheating can have energetic consequences) is to heat the components and finish the joint as quickly as possible, keeping the heat from migrating too far away. Lower power irons with smaller tips can still eventually get everything up to temp and solder to flow, but will require longer work time as the components soak up the heat, drop the tip temp, and then the under-powered heating element struggles to recover.

For smaller wires and connections, splicing servo leads, making harnesses or extensions for fans etc., the ~25W pencil irons aimed at electronics hobbyists work fine. A station might be a worthwhile investment if you plan to do lots of this sort of soldering as it will keep a stable temp and make you more consistent, but I find they don't work well for battery connectors. Need a larger tip that holds more heat.

Soldering guns also don't work well for battery connectors in my experience. While they can generate a lot of power, the tips are too small to get quick heat transfer. You should be aiming for <5s each to tin the components and finish the joint, and this will be hard to achieve with a gun even if it claims 200W+ on the case.

For Use by Professionals Only ;)
Need to have some experience to operate properly..

But, I'm sure All of us have melted/mangled plenty of plugs, cables, circuit boards Before we got to where we are ,can confidently solder wires of all types/sizes.

No better time to learn than now.

One Serious Advice, I would add > Make sure your work area is clear of flammable items and the surface is relatively fire resistant.. Just in case.
No need to burn down your house while practicing soldering.
Yeah make sure that you don't drop it on the carpet either.

not me drinking GIF by Munchies

The issue is the Wattage, not the shape of the iron. You can get Pencil irons in wattages from 20W up to 100W. And for pre-heating time, my 60w Radioshack special is up to temp in about 20-30 seconds, and then it holds temp instead of getting red hot, like a gun will.

I didn't have a lot of experience soldering large (10AWG) wires and big connectors before getting into electric R/C, and thought I might get away with the 25-40W pencil irons I use for other electronics combined with good technique, but found they're not nearly enough, and the only thing that has worked for >12AWG and EC5 is a big 80W iron with chisel tip like this. It gets hot enough to work with both leaded and lead-free solder, and the tip's mass allows it to hold a lot heat so the temperature doesn't plummet when you touch it to the work.

The key to getting good joints without risking damage to nearby components (especially important when dealing with LiPo battery wires, as overheating can have energetic consequences) is to heat the components and finish the joint as quickly as possible, keeping the heat from migrating too far away. Lower power irons with smaller tips can still eventually get everything up to temp and solder to flow, but will require longer work time as the components soak up the heat, drop the tip temp, and then the under-powered heating element struggles to recover.

For smaller wires and connections, splicing servo leads, making harnesses or extensions for fans etc., the ~25W pencil irons aimed at electronics hobbyists work fine. A station might be a worthwhile investment if you plan to do lots of this sort of soldering as it will keep a stable temp and make you more consistent, but I find they don't work well for battery connectors. Need a larger tip that holds more heat.

Soldering guns also don't work well for battery connectors in my experience. While they can generate a lot of power, the tips are too small to get quick heat transfer. You should be aiming for <5s each to tin the components and finish the joint, and this will be hard to achieve with a gun even if it claims 200W+ on the case.
Aside from trigger on-switch, and maybe a thicker standard tip, does the gun style offer something the pencil style doesn't? Wattage is wattage, right? So if the tip size is the same size, and wattage is the same, wouldn't you get roughly equal performance from both?

What I'm sensing here is that a good starter iron would be a higher wattage one with interchangeable tips (or fat tips in general) so as to allow quick build up of heat, a decent amount of heat "storage", and then more surface area to transfer heat? Aside from that, pencil and gun is just "style"?

Aside from trigger on-switch, and maybe a thicker standard tip, does the gun style offer something the pencil style doesn't? Wattage is wattage, right? So if the tip size is the same size, and wattage is the same, wouldn't you get roughly equal performance from both?

What I'm sensing here is that a good starter iron would be a higher wattage one with interchangeable tips (or fat tips in general) so as to allow quick build up of heat, a decent amount of heat "storage", and then more surface area to transfer heat? Aside from that, pencil and gun is just "style"?
In a nutshell, yes. My hakko is a pencil but is powered by a separate transformer. Also, a good soldering iron will have better recovery time. When I turn mine on it gets to 745 degrees in probably 20 seconds or so. Just a guess since I've never timed it. After use it's back up to temp instantly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back