Senton Which of the 3s/BLX series for racing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboeren

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm shopping for my first ARRMA and really first modern R/C. Used to have a Tamiya Hornet when I was a kid many years ago...

Anyway, I expect to do more racing in parking lots and fields than big jumps so I was wondering how you guys would rate the different models in terms of handling/racing capability and what mods or adjustments should be high priority for racing.

Thanks!

The best handling for racing are the typhon 3s BLX because he have small wheel and tire= lcg. The senton BLX it certainly good for racing but more parachut effect. If you race on the track you can buy tire with pin.

Last edited:
I'm shopping for my first ARRMA and really first modern R/C. Used to have a Tamiya Hornet when I was a kid many years ago...

Anyway, I expect to do more racing in parking lots and fields than big jumps so I was wondering how you guys would rate the different models in terms of handling/racing capability and what mods or adjustments should be high priority for racing.

Thanks!
I'd definitely take a look at the Typhon buggies and then go from there.

you could change the servo for a savox it direct fit, the stock servo have only 85 once of torq

Light buggy though so stock servo lasts pretty good. Savox is certainly excellent but when I need to do my 6s, I'll be using a JX PDI-6221MG first. For the cost, very good product and very strong.

PDI-6221MG 20KG Large Torque Digital Standard Servo
Dead band: 2μs
Working frequence: 1520μs / 330hz
Operating Speed (4.8V): 0.18 sec/60°
Operating Speed (6V): 0.16 sec/60°
Stall Torque (4.8V): 17.25 kg.cm (239.55oz/in)
Stall Torque (6V): 20.32 kg-cm (281.89 oz/in)
Dimensions: 40.5X20.2X38mm /1.59 X0.80X49 in
Weight: 62 g (2.18oz)

cheap servo doesn't center well that not good for racing and the PDI-6221MG 20KG are slower than the original, Ty Tessman use savox. On a cheap servo you can't have gear replacement. All my friend that racing use savox. Cheap savox cost 35$ better savox 60$ but last for couple year.

Last edited:
Parking lots and fields racing, first Arrma, first modern RC. I'd buy strong servo first. This isn't racing for competition. Just no jumping. Doesn't sound as competitive as much as having fun without jumps. $20 tops the servo is and if still not good enough, upgrade to Savox....which are fantastic products.

Well, if we had a proper track made for R/C racing then we'd have nice jumps. I'm not deliberately avoiding them, there just isn't a track nearby so we have to use what we have. We can set up some small ramps, but not big ones.

Looking on the ARRMA page, the Senton actually has the smallest wheels at 110mm, then the Typhon at 117mm. Regarding the parachute effect on the Senton body - would it help enough to cut some holes in the rear for air to flow through or will it still be pretty parachute-y even with ventilation?

What is a "tire with pin"? Would it be best to have one set of tires for asphalt and one set for fields or are they close enough?

Tyres with pin refers to the style of the tyre where the tread looks like lots of little rubber pins. Look at the stock Typhon 6s tyres for an example.
Off road tyres will usually be OK on road but will wear down quickly. Road tyres are usually terrible off road.
I only just got my Typhon 6s and use the pin tyres on road, they’re OK but not ‘proper’ road tyres. I reckon they’d be decent on dirt. Think I’ll need something different if I’m taking it onto grass.
I use backflips off road on my Talion and Notorious. On road I prefer Road Crushers but only have one set so use backflips as well, which work well but are big so increase wheelies.

cheap servo doesn't center well that not good for racing and the PDI-6221MG 20KG are slower than the original, Ty Tessman use savox. On a cheap servo you can't have gear replacement. All my friend that racing use savox. Cheap savox cost 35$ better savox 60$ but last for couple year.
This. While those JX-PDI6221MG servos are great for the money for bashing, I would never use one for racing. If staying with JX at least get one of their better models. Like this one.

The Typhon is definitely going to be the fastest. Buggies fly better, less drag, lower center of gravity, they are definitely going to be the fastest around any sort of track. Unless your fields have tall grass that the low-slung Typhon can't get through!

I use stock tires for dirt and a different setup for asphalt. Also stock servo has been fine so far but I don't "race"

yellow3 GRP.jpg
typhon 6s 12.13.jpg

And back to the JX servo thing this is a common problem with the PDI6221MG. It sort of lags when transitioning real fast. Again nothing against the PDI6221MG its just not a good servo for any sort of racing. BillDeLong the guy that made that video had a huge thread about the JX servos on URC iirc he uses the one I linked to in his Tekno ET48.3.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back