Typhon Which shocks for on-road Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I'm building a Typhon TLR for parking lot racing (no speed runs) and am curious which shocks to buy.

I initially planned to buy Infraction/Felony front and rear shocks and call it a day. But then I saw some builds use Infraction/Felony front shocks at all four corners of a Typhon, which led me to ask this question.

I'd prefer to stick with Jenny's for the price but would be open to other shock ideas as well.

What do you recommend?

You said you weren't speed running, just racing which I imagine is more technical type of driving on pavement. I figure the TLRT shocks would be more correct for your purposes here .:unsure: Just dial them in as needed. Dial in droop and preload , etc. Drop it very low to the ground.
Many do speed run with the Lim shock Towers and shocks on their Typhons, however. If you want to Hoon around and drift, then maybe the Lim towers and shocks will work better?? IDK.
Much also depends on what wheels you will be running. And desired traction on Pavement.
I can't see using on road shocks unless you are straight speed running.
Your call there. The Lim towers can be had fairly cheap at JennysRC . You know this already. Lim shocks also. Give them a try. You need the matching towers for the Lim shocks. No way around this, IMHO.
Maybe even consider running the Lim Rear shocks all around???(y)

Last edited:
You said you weren't speed running, just racing which I imagine is more technical type of driving on pavement. I figure the TLRT shocks would be more correct for your purposes here .:unsure: Just dial them in as needed. Dial in droop and preload , etc.
Many do speed run with the Lim shock Towers and shocks on their Typhons, however. If you want to Hoon around and drift, then maybe the Lim towers and shocks will work better?? IDK.
Much also depends on what wheels you will be running. And desired traction on Pavement.
Interesting point. I just assumed on-road shocks would work better.

I’ll be running GRP or Sweep on-road tires. Extra soft. Looking for highest traction possible. No hooning/drifting.

If you want high traction or great steering, I think the TLRT shocks might better. But running Rear Lim shocks all around might be a good compromise. IDK.
Experiment. See how it goes. I would run the stock TLRT shocks and towers first with the GRP's etc and then see how you like it first.
You already have a Lim and Infraction, so you must know how hard it is to drive it in any technical racing type fashion.

I used front and rears though tbh I kind of thought the f/r felony shocks where the same thing :ROFLMAO: I've also made stretched street typhons that use limitless front while keeping typhon tower/shocks in the rear and that works as well. I think I prefered the characteristics of having the on road in the rear instead though. Car was funner to drive to me.

I have the complete TLRT internals in my Infraction shocks, the bodies are the same across the line at various lengths. I think spring rates are the question maybe.

I think the main advantage the on-road shocks have are better and optional spring rates for pavement, if swapping the guts.

There may be a minor change in center of gravity if swapping Limitless towers/shocks, but you would lose the front pills in the TLR towers.

Last edited:
I just swapped my TLR towers/shocks for Limitless cf towers and shocks (you can see the TLR setup in my profile picture). Shocks are $30 ebay knock offs, pretty impressed with them other than the included bladders are crap and springs are a little short (fairly stiff once preload is added). They come empty so need to be built, I swapped some arrma bladders and filled with 2k oil.

In all fairness I never experimented with the different adjustments on the TLR pills. I stuck with the first one I tried because it seemed good in a small parking lot on 4s and GRPs. I use s7 compound now, with the parking lot asphalt temp reading at 115-120 from the afternoon sun, a few drifts and they are hot and sticky enough to avoid sliding pretty easy if you wish. I have some S5 compound on the way since temps are cooling and days are getting shorter.

Main reason I swapped is I know this rig will remain a street rig and wanted to see what the limitless shocks/towers felt like. Took it out for a first run a couple of hours ago, I LIKE IT!!! 🤣🤣🤣 Seemed to grab the turns faster and launch out of them much easier, regardless of whether I was going high throttle to get a little drift or medium throttle to keep traction through the turn, felt sharper to me. I stayed higher in the throttle range, ran around obstacles in ways I hadn't tried previously and burned through my runtime on a 6000mah battery faster than I had been with the TLR shocks/towers.

I don't regret the change. Nothing wrong with the TLR setup, ran 20-25 packs through it having a blast. For the parking lot I bash at and the way I drive, the Limitless shocks/towers are better.:cool:

20230922_164047.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back