Outcast Which version of Outcast is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoodles95

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I put a deposit on this slightly beat up beauty... Other than the body damage it pretty much just seems like it just needs a good cleaning. Ran good around the parking lot (my LHS sells used items from customers to other customers on consignment).

I am wondering which version this is and which upgrades would be good to do (and where to source the parts from).

Pics...

Body:

Under the hood:

I would like to run it on 6S power but I am willing to start with 4S until I have really had a chance to go through it properly.

I am a current owner of a small herd of 1/10 Traxxas RCs so I cannot seem to phantom the idea of a true RTR that could handle some bashing without needing extensive upgrades to be able to bash regularly without breaking down. I have a Stampede 4X4 VXL and a Rustler VXL that are here now but they required extensive funds to get there.

Anything that these Outlaws need off the bat? If this is a version 2 (or 1) Outlaw then I would want to know which parts I would need to buy (and where) to get the upgrades to get it as close to version 3 as I could.

Thanks in advance. :)

Looks just like mine, which is the newest version. I bought it brand new about a week ago so that one isn't too old either.

I already stripped two servos. So plan to buy an upgraded aluminum servo mount and servo when the stock one inevitably fails.

Other than that, just run it. The truck holds up quite well to moderate bashing.

Sweet! Thanks for the reply and insight.

I am checkin out the gka custom rc parts website and Facebook page. A Canadian company! Cool.

The servo mount sounds like a no brainer upgrade. I need to research the chassis brace and other parts and see which ones work on the Outcast.

The used one is $200 less than new and no tax since it is between two private parties. I figure I will put the savings into upgrades.

I'd have to assume its a V2 due to the missing shock cap protectors that come on the 2018 v3's

I'd have to assume its a V2 due to the missing shock cap protectors that come on the 2018 v3's

Hi,

Roger that.

I am going to look into the differences between V2 and V3.

It sounds like the servo mount would be a good first upgrade.

"Standard fit"?
https://www.gkacustomrcparts.com/product-page/cervo-mount

Or... "Taller fit"?
https://www.gkacustomrcparts.com/product-page/aluminum-servo-mount-taller-fit

The other GKA items I will need to research to see "bang for the buck". Chassis brace, rear brace stop, front and rear suspension hangers etc.

Yeah I noticed the old style receiver box and the missing shock caps right away too. I really wish they would have changed body colors for the 2018 models. Would have made it a lot easier to figure out.

I'd still buy the v2 the OP posted.
I can see from the tirewear that it's not had very many runs put on it. I've had my v3 outcast for less than a month and have already worn the center indentation away on the center tread blocks. I did notice the front bumper looks tweaked. Probably popped the 2 lower plastic mounting points loose, which is a common failure after taking a bad hit.
I did the same thing to mine and replaced it with an RPM front bumper intended for the Kraton.
I think the only other difference from the v2 is the shock shafts are 3.5mm vs 4 and the diffs are shimmed with 13x16s on the left side of the front & rear diffs from the factory on the v3

That is a V1.5 Outcast, V2 is the current version, there is no V3 Outcast. V1 had a smaller receiver box, sometime between the V1 and V2 they started shipping models with the new receiver box but all the previous gen stuff. I have seen a few V2.5 Kratons as well. Had all V2 stuff but the Outcast battery tray and the V3 receiver box.

I'd still buy the v2 the OP posted.
I can see from the tirewear that it's not had very many runs put on it. I've had my v3 outcast for less than a month and have already worn the center indentation away on the center tread blocks. I did notice the front bumper looks tweaked. Probably popped the 2 lower plastic mounting points loose, which is a common failure after taking a bad hit.
I did the same thing to mine and replaced it with an RPM front bumper intended for the Kraton.
I think the only other difference from the v2 is the shock shafts are 3.5mm vs 4 and the diffs are shimmed with 13x16s on the left side of the front & rear diffs from the factory on the v3

Thanks for the feedback. The underside of the truck is really clean as well. The body has taken some damage though. For the most part it looks like the Outcast would benefit from a cleaning and thorough tune up to make sure everything is good (fluid levels, diff alignment etc). For now I am alternating between the RPM and TBone bumper. Thoughts on the Tbone wing mount and rear bumper with wheelie bar?

That is a V1.5 Outcast, V2 is the current version, there is no V3 Outcast. V1 had a smaller receiver box, sometime between the V1 and V2 they started shipping models with the new receiver box but all the previous gen stuff. I have seen a few V2.5 Kratons as well. Had all V2 stuff but the Outcast battery tray and the V3 receiver box.

Wow. I just learned a heck of a lot from your post. Thanks for the information.

I think the front end of the chassis is bent, but I'm not sure.

It's suppose to be bent in the front slightly. Not sure of the factory angle tho

Attachments

• IMG_6139.JPG
    IMG_6139.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 78
that outcast was barely used. the body isn't even cracked, and the chassis bottle looks not even scratched.

i would get a better servo as it fails. my original servo lasted me 1 year running 7.4 volts through it and it only failed because i jumped into a fence pole at full speed which bent my front hinge pin, bent my front shock, and cracked my lower control arm, and sheared 10 teeth off the brass gear on the servo. if it wasn't for me driving it like a dumb ass, my stock servo would still be with me.

also i would get skid plates for the chassis and a chassis wrap. the skid plate would prevent the diff clearance bulges to not get grinding down from just general bashing.

I think the front end of the chassis is bent, but I'm not sure.

Yikes! I will check it out next time I'm in the shop. With the deal I'm getting I don't mind investing in a few upgrades in it like a RPM Bumper, GKA Custom RC Servo mount and chassis mounts.

It's suppose to be bent in the front slightly. Not sure of the factory angle tho

Woo Hool! Looks like I might be back in the game then.

I did not really notice how bent that front bumper was until I looked at the pictures I took on the larger screen on my laptop (versus just looking at them on my phone).

that outcast was barely used. the body isn't even cracked, and the chassis bottle looks not even scratched.

i would get a better servo as it fails. my original servo lasted me 1 year running 7.4 volts through it and it only failed because i jumped into a fence pole at full speed which bent my front hinge pin, bent my front shock, and cracked my lower control arm, and sheared 10 teeth off the brass gear on the servo. if it wasn't for me driving it like a dumb ass, my stock servo would still be with me.

also i would get skid plates for the chassis and a chassis wrap. the skid plate would prevent the diff clearance bulges to not get grinding down from just general bashing.

I looks like I need to do some research and do some reading here on the forum.

There is this skidplate from RPM which obviously only covers the rear end:
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/c...or-arrma-durango-8th-and-10th-scale-vehicles/

This Hot Racing skidplate set looks like it might do the trick:
https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SAON331X08;c=1058

When you say chassis wrap do you mean one of those dust cover things that some people run?

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=AON16CS;c=1058

Okay... Some feedback on the GKA Custom RC stuff please.

They seem to make a nice product and I love to support smaller businesses like this. I live in Canada do their shipping rate to me is the same for one item or four. So, I would rather buy all the recommended goodies at one.

-The Servo mount is a no brainer. If I stay with the stock servo will the standard size work?

-Chassis brace seems like a good idea since Arrma apparently upgraded them in the new models.

-Rear brace stop?

-Front and rear suspension hangers?

Who is running all the goodies on their Outcast?

Since the RPM bumper has a bit of a skid plate installed (I have RPM bumpers on both my Stampede 4X4 VXL and Rustler VXL) would that plus the rear RPM skid plate do the job?

What I like about the RPM bumpers I currently use (and their A arms on one of my Stampedes) is that they provide some flex and take some of the impact without transferring all the energy to other parts of the RC. They are also a less expensive option, available at my LHS (or online), and are an expendable part more or less.

I broke the 2 plastic eyelets on the bottom of the bumper and ended up replacing the stock bumper with one from RPM along with their matching skid plate for the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_6320.JPG
    IMG_6320.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6324.JPG
    IMG_6324.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6326.JPG
    IMG_6326.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6328.JPG
    IMG_6328.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 75
For the small filler piece that keeps the two lower pins from walking out, I used the bumper piece from Arrma part# AR330230

Attachments

• IMG_6351.PNG
    IMG_6351.PNG
    392.9 KB · Views: 60
Get rear bumper from T-Bone racing it will protect all the rear side

Attachments

• IMG_20180412_173726.jpg
    IMG_20180412_173726.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 79
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back