Big Rock Who needs a new body when you have tape?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
But seriously: I have utterly abused this Big Rock. Aside from some replacement parts here or there, and a few drive train issues, this truck has held up very well to my (sometimes intentional) beating. Is there really any reason to get a new body???
20220527_211843.jpg
20220527_211912.jpg

If you use the model you will damage the body. That's just a fact. If you want it to look good in the shelf get s shelf body and keep this as a basher body.

Only reason to fix it is vanity.

The racer will use a new body for a race day because there could be some aerodynamic effects that a damaged body may interrupt.

My bodies tend to break around the holes for the posts, which causes problems. I wouldn’t care about damage in the area you’re showing.

My bodies tend to break around the holes for the posts, which causes problems. I wouldn’t care about damage in the area you’re showing.
Mine are cracked at the posts, but still holding together. The real issue was the body splitting in half, the crack ran all the way up the side and was starting across the bed. That's why I has to tape the sides back together.
If you use the model you will damage the body. That's just a fact. If you want it to look good in the shelf get s shelf body and keep this as a basher body.

Only reason to fix it is vanity.

The racer will use a new body for a race day because there could be some aerodynamic effects that a damaged body may interrupt.
All my trucks are stashed in the corner of the garage to keep them "out of sight' so my wife doesn't say anything. No displaying here :LOL:

But seriously: I have utterly abused this Big Rock. Aside from some replacement parts here or there, and a few drive train issues, this truck has held up very well to my (sometimes intentional) beating. Is there really any reason to get a new body???View attachment 220095 View attachment 220096
Gorilla tape is great. I also patch up as needed with it. I use a heat gun to make the tape stick firmly. Maybe some Aluminum Tape ( Speed tape) along with it in layers. I don't bother doing the whole $$Shoogoo thing with Dry wall tape etc. Anymore....Waste of time, effort, and money. Money better spent on that next new body replacement. The bodies still crack anyway with the Shoogoo method, How I see it.
. Just tape as needed. Maybe some tape used around the Body post holes and known breakage areas, when the body is New, that will crack from experience. And just buy another body when it won't stay on the chassis any longer. How I fly.
Basher bodies will always look like crap. Part of the Bashing and fun.
Its just a lid to cover the chassis, keep out the dirt, and protect the Shock towers...:giggle:

Last edited:
Gorilla tape is great. I also patch up as needed with it. I use a heat gun to make the tape stick firmly. Maybe some Aluminum Tape ( Speed tape) along with it in layers. I don't bother doing the whole $$Shoogoo thing with Dry wall tape etc. Anymore....Waste of time, effort, and money. Money better spent on that next new body replacement. The bodies still crack anyway with the Shoogoo method, How I see it.
. Just tape as needed. Maybe some tape used around the Body post holes and known breakage areas, when the body is New, that will crack from experience. And just buy another body when it won't stay on the chassis any longer. How I fly.
Basher bodies will always look like crap. Part of the Bashing and fun.
Its just a lid to cover the chassis, keep out the dirt, and protect the Shock towers...:giggle:
I agree the body reinforcement is a waste of time and money. It does help, but it's not worth the weight/time/money when it's half way to a new body.

Plus then you have two, one for a shelf queen

Select body reinforcement around the holes or edges or other key areas might be worth it though...

I agree the body reinforcement is a waste of time and money. It does help, but it's not worth the weight/time/money when it's half way to a new body.
Depends on how you run. I jump pretty high. A new body with no reinforcement is not likely to survive a single session. Without reinforcement, I'd need a new body every week. It's well worth the money and time for me to reinforce. And I'm not talking about crashes. Even when landing jumps on the wheels, the force of the body posts will crack an unreinforced body quickly. Also, the RC can still bounce onto the roof even when landing on the wheels.

I put 3 layers of adhesive/drywall over the entire body. The weak areas get extra for a total of 5-6 layers. Yes, that much reinforcement costs the same as a new body. But my last body held together from last July. And that was using E6000, which I've realized is not as tough as shoe goo. I think my latest new shoe goo/cement board tape body will last even longer.

Also, the body is not just cosmetic. If I jumped without body protection, I would be breaking internal parts. Just taping together pieces does not provide any structural protection. With reinforcement, my body is a nice hard shell that provides great protection.

Finally, unbreakable bodies are expensive, but with the cost of the reinforcement I use, it's actually around the same price. That part is vanity. The unbreakable probably lasts even longer. But they're ugly and I love the look of my F100 body.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back