Typhon Why is my Typhon 6s not going faster???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude-guy-bro

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Typhon 6s
My Typhon 6s is not going faster than 76mph and my setup is this:

Stock Typhon motor and esc
20 or 21 tooth pinion gear (biggest I could get on stock motor mount)
Stock spur gear (I’m not sure what size but stock)
Db hoons the larger tires
Upgraded bearings kit throughout the whole car
And my gps is a power hobby GNSS Performance Analyzer

If anyone out there knows why I’m not getting higher speeds I would appreciate the help cause I herd guys are going like 100mph on stock systems geared up I’m sure. With no locker spools or 34-34 gearing or whatever it is. I would be happy with just going 100mph. Anyway hit me up thanks 💪

If anyone out there knows why I’m not getting higher speeds I would appreciate the help cause I herd guys are going like 100mph on stock systems geared up I’m sure. With no locker spools or 34-34 gearing or whatever it is. I would be happy with just going 100mph. Anyway hit me up thanks 💪
Two things you can do to bump it up. Switch to the 46t Infraction center spur then bump up the pinion to say a 27t. Gonna need better cooling as you do this though.

Fyi, I'm not sure how you hit 76 with 21/50 on 6s with a stock 2050kv motor, but the gear calculator shows around a max of 56 mph.

Last edited:

I made mistake my pinion is a 24 tooth had to use a flathead screwdriver to pry the motor mount to set the gear mesh
I made mistake my pinion is a 24 tooth had to use a flathead screwdriver to pry the motor mount to set the gear mesh
But before that I had the stock speed gear getting 74mph on same setup

I hear you. Like I said, the limitation right now is the center spur, which is easy to replace. That will inch you into the mid to high 90's. The reason your seeing so many going 100 mph plus is that many of us have switched to a Limitless spool in the center. This opens the door to lots of 8mm bore spur otpions. Arrma has a 29t and a 34t. With that 34t, you can bump up the pinion number pretty high, almost 1:1 I think with a stock motor mount. Speed running is a build up sport. Try little mods and pay attention to your progress. Once you get up over 100, the climb takes longer and is way more difficult. Heat is the enemy, and a stock esc can only handle speed runs for so long. I've had one catch fire when I was shooting for 100 with the Infraction spur. Dual motor fans and possibly a higher powered one for the esc.

Nothing wrong with that setup, but that is all you should expect from that exact system. As others have said, you have a lot of options.

1) Smaller spur gear, which increases your speed, but also allows for a larger pinion
2) GP5 diffs for the front and rear will increase you final drive ratio, increasing top end speed
3) Better ESC, like the MMX8S or XLX2 will allow more amperage to be sent to the motor
4) Higher rated lipos will help keep the ESC voltage up, amperage down
5) At about 90mph you will find that a lot of chassis and aero tuning will be needed to keep it on the ground

Great advice has already been provided /\

If you are serious about speed running and going faster in the 90-150 mph range you will need to pickup a Limitless spool assembly.
Jenny's RC is often the lowest cost route for that (currently sold out) or eBay.

This will allow you to increase the pinion size as mentioned and increase your speeds.

It is worth noting that reducing the spur gear down to 34t (from the Limitless) will require a minimum pinion size of 27t for the 2 gears to reach each other. Some have used a 39t on the limitless spool setup which allows you a more fine adjustment of the gear ratio.

The factory ESC will only handle the loads of 90 mph runs for so long before it melts down/catches fire.

If you are serious about speed running you need the MMX8s or XLX2 due to their high amperage abilities. No other ESC under $800 will do this.

Speed is addicting and it is one expensive rabbit hole to travel down. If you don't have an amazing road that is perfectly smooth, free of obstacles, and low traffic then I'd stick with factory equipment and be happy with speeds of 96mph or less.

Happy to help further, but not 100% sure just how fast you are wanting to go.

In addition to the above stated, the larger Hoons rob speed, as they are much heavier with very little extra rollout. Additionally, they become much more unstable and blow our at relatively low speeds. Regular Hoons or GRP Revo would work much better

I hear you. Like I said, the limitation right now is the center spur, which is easy to replace. That will inch you into the mid to high 90's. The reason your seeing so many going 100 mph plus is that many of us have switched to a Limitless spool in the center. This opens the door to lots of 8mm bore spur otpions. Arrma has a 29t and a 34t. With that 34t, you can bump up the pinion number pretty high, almost 1:1 I think with a stock motor mount. Speed running is a build up sport. Try little mods and pay attention to your progress. Once you get up over 100, the climb takes longer and is way more difficult. Heat is the enemy, and a stock esc can only handle speed runs for so long. I've had one catch fire when I was shooting for 100 with the Infraction spur. Dual motor fans and possibly a higher powered one for the esc.
Ok thanks for the info
nice thanks for the info going to get me a spool question do I need different size center driveshafts with the limitless spool or can I use stock Typhon

Ok thanks for the info

nice thanks for the info going to get me a spool question do I need different size center driveshafts with the limitless spool or can I use stock Typhon
Everything else stays the same. The spool is the same length as a stock 6s center dif.

Two things you can do to bump it up. Switch to the 46t Infraction center spur then bump up the pinion to say a 27t. Gonna need better cooling as you do this though.

Fyi, I'm not sure how you hit 76 with 21/50 on 6s with a stock 2050kv motor, but the gear calculator shows around a max of 56 mph.
This is an old thread, but I just clocked 65 on a 19t with a firma 150a and 2050kv on my TLR.. 56 sounds way low

Ok thanks for the info

I built mine from a slider and 2 weeks ago a lady ran over it on purpose. The ONLY good thing about it is she ran over it from rear tower to front tower and it save all the electronics and new batteries I just bought lifting her car up and he tires stayed off the electronics. Had she hit it sideways, everything would have been toast. I ha recently started to race with a crew and was pretty upset that I had everything ready to go, then she hits is and I have to disassemble all to check everything out. The Typhon has to be the toughest Arrma out as I didn't have to spend a dime to repair anything. Always have plenty of extra screws, bent the front tower back, front bottom hinge pin and re place the f diff case that I had a spare of. The body is fine, wing and wing mount fine, no broken chock rod ends, nothing. And those are easily broke if bashing and land wrong. Want ahead and changed diff fluid to 1mil-f/1mil-c and 100k about to go 500k in the rear to keep from rear trying to come around on take off. Before I met these guys and started racing I had the 50spur and 18 pinion in. Just to have fun. After rebuilding, now have a spool with a Revo 38 tooth spur and a 25 pinion for when I drop the spool In. As of now I run the 46 tooth infraction spur and a 25 tooth pinion. The biggest you can put with the 46 unless you only use one screw in motor mount. Everyone should have their Typhon run over at least once as now mine is A LOT faster than before and Everytime I go out, up my PB. DOING 80MPH until I drop the spool in. It there Kraton 6s spool. Looks tiny but works great.
I built mine from a slider and 2 weeks ago a lady ran over it on purpose. The ONLY good thing about it is she ran over it from rear tower to front tower and it save all the electronics and new batteries I just bought lifting her car up and he tires stayed off the electronics. Had she hit it sideways, everything would have been toast. I ha recently started to race with a crew and was pretty upset that I had everything ready to go, then she hits is and I have to disassemble all to check everything out. The Typhon has to be the toughest Arrma out as I didn't have to spend a dime to repair anything. Always have plenty of extra screws, bent the front tower back, front bottom hinge pin and re place the f diff case that I had a spare of. The body is fine, wing and wing mount fine, no broken chock rod ends, nothing. And those are easily broke if bashing and land wrong. Want ahead and changed diff fluid to 1mil-f/1mil-c and 100k about to go 500k in the rear to keep from rear trying to come around on take off. Before I met these guys and started racing I had the 50spur and 18 pinion in. Just to have fun. After rebuilding, now have a spool with a Revo 38 tooth spur and a 25 pinion for when I drop the spool In. As of now I run the 46 tooth infraction spur and a 25 tooth pinion. The biggest you can put with the 46 unless you only use one screw in motor mount. Everyone should have their Typhon run over at least once as now mine is A LOT faster than before and Everytime I go out, up my PB. DOING 80MPH until I drop the spool in. It there Kraton 6s spool. Looks tiny but works great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230317-190458.png
    Screenshot_20230317-190458.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20230317-190044.png
    Screenshot_20230317-190044.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back