X-Maxx Version differences, Snow Rig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arise0185

Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
Hey everyone,

I know I know, blasphemy for posting about a Traxxas on here! But I'm looking to pickup a large scale rig for playing around in the snow this upcoming winter. It seems like the X-Maxx is generally pretty well regarded. Maybe some complaints about stock electronics but seems like a stout platform overall.

I keep seeing that there are multiple versions of this truck available, but it's hard to find anything definitive online. I see that maybe the old version was a 6s, and the new version is an 8s? Are those the only two versions out there?

Also, I would definitely be open to trying an Arrma 8S rig instead. But for snow, just by looking at pictures/videos, it seems like the X-Maxx might fair better. More ground clearance (4 inches vs 2.56 inches) and perhaps a bit lighter than the 8S Outcast/Kraton? Arrma doesn't list the weight specs online unfortunately. X-Maxx is listed as 19.1 lbs.

I think they revised the hubs at some point, but that’s all I can really recall since they switched to the 8s version. I use one of mine in the snow and it’s a blast. I’ve got a max6 with the stock motor geared 20/50 and it has plenty of power.

Arrma 8s rigs are easily 30 + pounds in full running weight Give or take based on your chosen lipo packs.. No joke. Like easily 10 pounds heavier than an XMax. 30% heavier is alot IMHO.
Both these rigs have their own unique issues. Can't say one is better than the other. Upgrades needed with both.

>>>Wait for someone who has both to offer better advice. I am not that person.

I can say that running in the Snow when temps are at or near Freezing will shatter plastic parts real easily. If bashing hard in these temps. Basically as temps drop more below 40F.
The Arrma 8s rigs have an alloy chassis, FWIW. And way more alloy overall. If it matters. TRX obviously does not.
Good luck.

Arrma 8s rigs are easily 30 + pounds in full running weight Give or take based on your chosen lipo packs.. No joke. Like easily 10 pounds heavier than an XMax. 30% heavier is alot IMHO.
Both these rigs have their own unique issues. Can't say one is better than the other. Upgrades needed with both.

>>>Wait for someone who has both to offer better advice. I am not that person.

I can say that running in the Snow when temps are at or near Freezing will shatter plastic parts real easily. If bashing hard in these temps. Basically as temps drop more below 40F.
The Arrma 8s rigs have an alloy chassis, FWIW. And way more alloy overall. If it matters. TRX obviously does not.
Good luck.

Yeah, I have both Arrma 8s rigs, two X-Maxxs, and an XRT, I prefer the X-Maxx because of the weight, and lack of metal. Where I am, it gets cold in late November and stays below freezing besides the odd day or two all winter long and I haven’t had any issues with plastic parts breaking.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

@Matt05 good to hear you've had good luck w/ the plastic parts in the cold. I know plastic gets brittle in colder temps, but I wasn't sure just how pronounced of a problem it would be on these rigs. What do you do for your hands, glove-wise? I tried some thin running gloves which are plenty warm when I'm running, but my fingers were FROZEN after 30 minutes on a windy 35 deg day just recently. Anything thicker/bulkier would make it way to hard to control the throttle, I would think.

To my knowledge, there are only 2 versions of the Xmaxx officially, 6s and 8s. 6s is only available used I believe. TRX never changed versions per say, but I think @Matt05 is right, updated hubs. I don't have an 8s Arrma but do have an Xmaxx. It's a beast in the snow, easily my favorite for snow bashing, lots of ground clearance, huge tires and crazy lightweight for it's size. My brother also has one, and just recently got an Outcast 8s. The weight difference between them is absurd!! I'd say they're both great trucks, but for snow? Xmaxx all the way! I hear many people talk about plastics becoming brittle in the cold, I have yet to experience this phenomenon.. I can't say they don't become more susceptible but rather, not enough to worry about. I launch my Xmaxx in the winter way higher and farther than in the summer..🤷‍♂️ I run my 6s Kraton, Kaiju, Kronos, Hoss..all winter long.
Upstate NY here, we've already had snow, ice and sleet..and will have through April. That's a LONG time to go without bashing IMO. Can't do it!!😜

Plastics in winter are no problem as long as you don't push it when jumping or hit a curb. Same problem for any rig.

Excellent, glad to hear I'm looking in the right direction. Now, to see if I can find a good deal on Marketplace or perhaps one will pop up for sale on here...

Xmaxx on big parking lots during winter is fun if geared for speed with belted tires and TSM somewhere around 50%, will probably pick up a 8s version.
haven't prepared/fixed my Kraton 8S EXB RTR for winter running yet but during summer its much better handling machine than a Xmaxx.

Xmaxx on big parking lots during winter is fun if geared for speed with belted tires and TSM somewhere around 50%, will probably pick up a 8s version.
haven't prepared/fixed my Kraton 8S EXB RTR for winter running yet but during summer its much better handling machine than a Xmaxx.
TSM deleted here..AVC too.. I don't need no stinking driving aids!!😜

That sounds like a lot of fun! I can 100% see the X-Maxx not handling well - high CG, big soft tires w/ tall sidewalls, etc.

On snow/ice parking lot no problem with Xmaxx handling since it cant tip over but on high traction surface in summer its way worse compared to Kraton 8s.

On snow/ice parking lot no problem with Xmaxx handling since it cant tip over but on high traction surface in summer its way worse compared to Kraton 8s.
Yeah, totally different animals for sure. Despite both being labeled as MT's, the K8 is a low cg truggy so handling is definitely in it's favor.

I just found this video where he very quickly summarizes the differences between the versions:

V1 - 6s, center spool
V2 - 8s, upgraded differentials, center diff
V3 - thicker threads on bottom of shock shafts
V4 - plastic protection on rear of body ("tailgate" lip), bigger wheel bearings all around

Last edited:
Would be nice if they made a xmaxx exb rtr or call it plus/+ with the alu parts on. I would buy it.

Yeah, I have both Arrma 8s rigs, two X-Maxxs, and an XRT, I prefer the X-Maxx because of the weight, and lack of metal. Where I am, it gets cold in late November and stays below freezing besides the odd day or two all winter long and I haven’t had any issues with plastic parts breaking.
Why X-Maxx over XRT?

anyone know if there have been xmaxx black friday deals earlier?
I have not, rarely do TBH. They just sell so well, I guess TRX doesn't need to discount them. Keep an eye out at King Cobra hobbies, they sometimes offer 10% off. Also, some states in the US don't charge sales tax, on a $1000 buy, that equals $85 for me. Heck, I actually paid $40 shipping on mine just to skirt the tax man!!😜🤣🤣 Shh, it's a secret!!😉🍻

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back