Kraton Is it worth getting the Kraton 8s EXB over the RTR version? Or buy used?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroneeyedboh

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So I haven’t had an RC car in about 25 years. These bigger scaled trucks got me! Lol. So I’m looking to get back into it and I see that Kratons come in a roller option.

If I were to go to a RTR, I would swap out the ESC for sure, maybe the motor too. So that would be money saved there, but wondering if it’s the best thing to do? Is it more expensive this way, to me no - since I’m not starting at the full prices RTR price tag. Yeah it may be a bit more in the end, but I can’t see it be a LOT more.

Or maybe buy used and upgrade when it comes in?

I’ve heard that’s these bend chassis easily over time , so a used one could come in bent up and a used badly. Which would mean an additional cost on a new chassis…

What’s your guys thoughts on this? Excited to be here!

Thanks!

Tough choice. I really like the RTR because the 8S comes with some quality electrics. Firma 160A esc (Max 6 rebrand), Spectrum motor 1250kV (solid motor), DX3 and AVC receiver, s905 servo, it's a little slow but mine is still going!

The differences are:

EXB has shocks with thicker shafts (people have bent many a RTR shafts, but, if you do the shock piston mod you may never have a problem). The other big difference is the 7075 chasses on the EXB, although people seem to bend both versions. Diffs are the same.

Post in thread 'shock bend Kraton 8S' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/shock-bend-kraton-8s.19642/post-758402

Down the road you could go with an M2C chassis or a bash bar (those thing seem crazy tough).

Last edited:
Tough choice. I really like the RTR because the 8S comes with some quality electrics. Firma 160A esc (Max 6 rebrand), Spectrum motor 1250kV (solid motor), DX3 and AVC receiver, s905 servo, its a little slow but mine is still going!

The differences are:

EXB has shocks with thicker shafts (people have bent many a BLX shafts, but, if you do the shock piston mod you may never have a problem). The other big difference is the 7075 chasses on the EXB, although people seem to bend both versions. Diffs are the same.

Post in thread 'shock bend Kraton 8S' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/shock-bend-kraton-8s.19642/post-758402
Interesting… for little things like the shocks, I could always do that later. Can you get the thicker shocks anfternakret ?

And I’m surprised that people are bending that 7075, as that’s what the upgrade is for the RTR units lol. What I have to think about is I don’t believe I’m going to be killin this thing like I see some people on line do. They abuse them lol!

The servo upgrade might be the first thing to do if I were to get the RTR version.

Is the max 6 better than the max 5? I see a lot of people upgrade to the max 5. I guess the 6 isn’t better…

Reason I was going to jump on the roller was because they’re discontinued and thought it would be better to have than not.

Appreciate the reply

My pleasure, one thing I can guarantee after buying a 6/8S Arrma as your first real RC is that it won’t be your last. The Kraton 8S is considered one of the “weaker” big rig offerings, but breaking things is half the hobby as I enjoy continuous improvement wrenching ALMOST as much as bashing.

A little over a year ago bought a 6S infraction and now we have a dozen hobby grade that the kids and I rotate. 😬

My pleasure, one thing I can guarantee after buying a 6/8S Arrma as your first real RC is that it won’t be your last. The Kraton 8S is considered one of the “weaker” big rig offerings, but breaking things is half the hobby as I enjoy continuous improvement wrenching ALMOST as much as bashing.

A little over a year ago bought a 6S infraction and now we have a dozen hobby grade that the kids and I rotate. 😬
I was going to get the Traxxas XRT or this. Still on the fence but at least I’m in the decision stage still haha.

If you don’t mind, on the max5 upgrades… they come in 800kv and 1000kv. What’s the difference and the correlation between kv and motor size to speed or torque?

Seems leopard is also suggested as a good replacement too. But it’s nice to make an upgrade that just works very well without pushing the boundaries too hard and end up failing…

I was going to get the Traxxas XRT or this. Still on the fence but at least I’m in the decision stage still haha.

If you don’t mind, on the max5 upgrades… they come in 800kv and 1000kv. What’s the difference and the correlation between kv and motor size to speed or torque?

Seems leopard is also suggested as a good replacement too. But it’s nice to make an upgrade that just works very well without pushing the boundaries too hard and end up failing…

800kv is a much longer motor can 113mm vs 1100kv is 56mm diameter and only 87mm in length. Power/wattage usually is the result of larger motors, gives a little more gearing flexibility at the expense of run time and heat on a 30lb RC.

I’ll let the veteran 8S owners chime in on the application, but there’s also some good search info available in the archives if you have hours to research. YouTube is also a fantastic video resource!

Interesting… for little things like the shocks, I could always do that later. Can you get the thicker shocks anfternakret ?

And I’m surprised that people are bending that 7075, as that’s what the upgrade is for the RTR units lol. What I have to think about is I don’t believe I’m going to be killin this thing like I see some people on line do. They abuse them lol!

The servo upgrade might be the first thing to do if I were to get the RTR version.

Is the max 6 better than the max 5? I see a lot of people upgrade to the max 5. I guess the 6 isn’t better…
For sure, in my opinion good shocks for the 8s rigs are the EXB versions. M2C does sell internal upgrades for both versions of the shocks.

Max5 will be able to handle more power than the Max6, but a friend has a stock RTR 8S Outcast. It's loads of fun. You might find yourself enjoying it as is.

My 8S Kraton is running the Hobbywing Max5 / Hobbywing 1100kV motor, stock servo, it rips.

As for the chassis, for some reason the 7075 T6 that M2C uses seems way stronger than what Arrma is using.

Last edited:
What’s your guys honest opinion on the Kraton 8s vs Traxxas XRT. I know lol but it seems the XRT is a strong candidate, uses plastic chassis that allows flexing instead of bending, but negatives are more-so proprietary parts, more confused layout, but also a lot lighter

I can get the Kraton 8S EXB for 499 to my door. It’s a savings of 500$ so pretty tempting to get the ESC, Motor, transmitter/receiver and servo picked out on my own for almost the same prices as a stock Kraton.

Last edited:
So I haven’t had an RC car in about 25 years. These bigger scaled trucks got me! Lol. So I’m looking to get back into it and I see that Kratons come in a roller option.

If I were to go to a RTR, I would swap out the ESC for sure, maybe the motor too. So that would be money saved there, but wondering if it’s the best thing to do? Is it more expensive this way, to me no - since I’m not starting at the full prices RTR price tag. Yeah it may be a bit more in the end, but I can’t see it be a LOT more.

Or maybe buy used and upgrade when it comes in?

I’ve heard that’s these bend chassis easily over time , so a used one could come in bent up and a used badly. Which would mean an additional cost on a new chassis…

What’s your guys thoughts on this? Excited to be here!

Thanks!
I have a brand new Kraton 8s for sale if would like to buy?

Owning both, I’d get the XRT.

If you insist on a Kraton, I’d get the roller and build it how you want, rather than removing and trying to sell off slightly used electronics. I bent 3 RTR version shock shafts pretty easily. My EXB shock shafts have been fine thus far.

Owning both, I’d get the XRT.

If you insist on a Kraton, I’d get the roller and build it how you want, rather than removing and trying to sell off slightly used electronics. I bent 3 RTR version shock shafts pretty easily. My EXB shock shafts have been fine thus far.

One says XRT lol. If i get the Kraton, it would be the roller. Its sold out a lot of places but I can get one for $500

The Kraton is a better build.

One says Kraton is a better one.

Decisions...

the only thing a kraton does better than the xrt is diffs. I say that as someone who has both and actually likes both. If I had to pick one it would be the xrt hands down. It's hard out here though! joostin has new outcast 8s exb for sale with xlx2 combo for like 900. You can't beat that lol.

the only thing a kraton does better than the xrt is diffs. I say that as someone who has both and actually likes both. If I had to pick one it would be the xrt hands down. It's hard out here though! joostin has new outcast 8s exb for sale with xlx2 combo for like 900. You can't beat that lol.
Yeah? lol… I’ll check that combo out

Tough choice. I really like the RTR because the 8S comes with some quality electrics. Firma 160A esc (Max 6 rebrand), Spectrum motor 1250kV (solid motor), DX3 and AVC receiver, s905 servo, it's a little slow but mine is still going!

The differences are:

EXB has shocks with thicker shafts (people have bent many a RTR shafts, but, if you do the shock piston mod you may never have a problem). The other big difference is the 7075 chasses on the EXB, although people seem to bend both versions. Diffs are the same.

Down the road you could go with an M2C chassis or a bash bar (those thing seem crazy tough).
22/39 gearing punch 5 made mine feel alot better. But tyers pop if moss handled

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back