Xlx2 programming/calibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshludden

Thai guy in Iowa
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
Good evening arrma fam, I'm trying to get my new xlx2 dialed in. It says in the quick start guide that I was supposed to get a coupon for a free castle link USB adapter along with the esc, but I'm not seeing it. All that came in the box was the esc & the quick start guide. I think I got the throttle calibrated correctly- full throttle while turning esc on, full reverse after the red blinks, then neutral after yellow blinks. I drove it REALLY slowly in my driveway, getting a feeling for everything. After a couple minutes I lost throttle but still have steering. Tried doing the throttle procedure again a couple of times but still no throttle, steering good. Took the rx out & rebound, then did the throttle calibration again. All the beeps seem normal & the esc stays yellow, goes green w/ forward & red w/ reverse but no movement. I downloaded the driver's Ed thingy & it says I can program w/ the transmitter, a la the spektrum system of beeps & such, just wondering if that should be my next course of action?
I did notice the tiniest of nicks on the outermost orange esc wire that must've been from trying to get it thru that little foam slot in the rx box. Could that be it?
Any & all help will be GREATLY appreciated

20220815_190621.jpg

That wire may have got severed under the insulation. 🤷‍♂️

I have a bunch of those codes if ya need tho. 🤙

That wire may have got severed under the insulation. 🤷‍♂️

I have a bunch of those codes if ya need tho. 🤙
Yes, would love it if you would send one my way!! Thank you 🙂
Just curious, but what is this? That orange wire looks ok on the pic (though I'd wrap it with some electrical tape or heat shrink tubing).
View attachment 236566
That's my antenna. Accidentally nipped it cutting off a zip tie. Has since been replaced.

Do you have any different rx’s or esc’s you can test for process of elimination..?
The esc wire harness is easily replaceable too.

Do you have any different rx’s or esc’s you can test for process of elimination..?
The esc wire harness is easily replaceable too.
Not really, this is the only thing w/ 8mm bullets on it that I have. I have to think that it's the esc because it is getting all of my input signals, it's just not putting anything out. But I did take the auxiliary wires off the esc since I wasn't using them (I saw raz do it in one of his speed running tutorials). Could I just swap those wires in for the ones that are in there now? They're color coded & everything.

Not really, this is the only thing w/ 8mm bullets on it that I have. I have to think that it's the esc because it is getting all of my input signals, it's just not putting anything out. But I did take the auxiliary wires off the esc since I wasn't using them (I saw raz do it in one of his speed running tutorials). Could I just swap those wires in for the ones that are in there now? They're color coded & everything.
Do you have another motor? You can just stick the wires in the three holes on the ESC without bullets. As long as you aren't pulling any loads it's fine. I've done it several times to just test something.

And yes, you can just swap those wires out. Shouldn't be a problem. But since you said your servo is still working it's safe to say that the receiver & servo are getting power from the ESC.

Do you have another motor? You can just stick the wires in the three holes on the ESC without bullets. As long as you aren't pulling any loads it's fine. I've done it several times to just test something.

And yes, you can just swap those wires out. Shouldn't be a problem. But since you said your servo is still working it's safe to say that the receiver & servo are getting power from the ESC.
I do have the 4985 1650kv w/ 6.5mm bullets on it. So, I just put them loosely in the esc bullets/cups & try to get it spinning? Could the xlx2 just have been too much power for the 4274 2200kv? It still spins very freely, in fact I noticed it's roll resistance was quite good in fact

I do have the 4985 1650kv w/ 6.5mm bullets on it. So, I just put them loosely in the esc bullets/cups & try to get it spinning? Could the xlx2 just have been too much power for the 4274 2200kv?
Yeah, just put the bullets in there and keep it under a little tension by putting the motor away from the ESC (I hope that makes sense). Always remember, voltage is given, power is asked by the consumer (i.e. the motor in our case). The ESC will only supply what the motor requests. So, short answer, no. :)
It still spins very freely, in fact I noticed it's roll resistance was quite good in fact
Since another Tx/Rx isn't available, I'm just trying process of elimination with what you have. I know you said that the LEDs on the ESC react to inputs, but what you also might could try is swapping ch1/ch2 on the receiver. Just spit balling, but could be worth a try.

Last edited:
Well I have an update- hooked up the tp 4060cm w/ the busted shaft (kinda forgot about using it to test, duh😆🤦‍♂️) to the system & turned it on, wow- instantly bursts to life!! So must be the hobbywing 4274 2200kv that crapped out? I'm going to go thru all the connections again to see if something from the motor to the esc is screwed up. Planning on buying another 4060cm & a center spool from af members on Friday so I'm gonna slow play this a little & make sure everything is in order. Still need to replace 3 of the 4 wheel bearings in the vitavon hubs & add my 2nd antenna

Well I have an update- hooked up the tp 4060cm w/ the busted shaft (kinda forgot about using it to test, duh😆🤦‍♂️) to the system & turned it on, wow- instantly bursts to life!! So must be the hobbywing 4274 2200kv that crapped out? I'm going to go thru all the connections again to see if something from the motor to the esc is screwed up. Planning on buying another 4060cm & a center spool from af members on Friday so I'm gonna slow play this a little & make sure everything is in order. Still need to replace 3 of the 4 wheel bearings in the vitavon hubs & add my 2nd antenna
Happy to hear it brother, glad it wasn't the ESC :) I mean...it still sucks if a motor went bad on you but, stuff happens.

Happy to hear it brother, glad it wasn't the ESC :) I mean...it still sucks if a motor went bad on you but, stuff happens.
Dude, me too! I was out bending an elbow w/ the fellas last night so couldn't troubleshoot till tonight. I'll get it figured out sooner or later. Hopefully sooner rather than later cuz I haven't run this thing in almost a month & I'm getting an itchy trigger finger!😁

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back