Kraton 1:5 scale servo in a 1:7 custom Kraton?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I use that in my DBXL-e. I looked at fitting it in my custom build but it's quite tall. Maybe if you turned it 90º but it would be hella tight.

I’d go with the 845. Still tons of torque, but way faster. Dedicated power source is mandatory, though, but since you’ve already decided to do that you’ll be fine. Save your ESC’s BEC for fans!
Fans run on their own 2s battery.
IMG_20220219_010159.jpg

IMG_20220506_143052.jpg

I have never had promodeler, but I have heard a lot of food stuff about them....

They will be on my short list for replacements for the K8 or the Mojave

They seem great on paper, but they're garbage IRL. Don't make near the torque they claim, gears and cases are soft as butter, centering is horrible, motors and POT's are low lifespan and burn out quickly, and the owner is notoriously hard headed and gives 0 customer support- they're just another bottom of the barrel Chinese servo someone found and tried to market it as their own. Just buy a 35kg servo from amazon and you'll immediately get a better built servo that lasts longer.

They seem great on paper, but they're garbage IRL. Don't make near the torque they claim, gears and cases are soft as butter, centering is horrible, motors and POT's are low lifespan and burn out quickly, and the owner is notoriously hard headed and gives 0 customer support- they're just another bottom of the barrel Chinese servo someone found and tried to market it as their own. Just buy a 35kg servo from amazon and you'll immediately get a better built servo that lasts longer.
You simply could not be more totally and completely mistaken. They are made in the U.S., meet a minimum of 3 Mil Spec standards, use the best Japanese potentiometers available and the best components in the industry.
The company started as a defense contractor supplying servos to all manner of military drones, and his hobby line of servos follows the same manufacturing standards.
They are unquestionably one of the best servos available anywhere, at any price. Also, customer service and warranty is very good unless you send him a servo that suffered from abuse from the user.
You should really do some research before you bash a company with false claims.

You simply could not be more totally and completely mistaken. They are made in the U.S., meet a minimum of 3 Mil Spec standards, use the best Japanese potentiometers available and the best components in the industry.
The company started as a defense contractor supplying servos to all manner of military drones, and his hobby line of servos follows the same manufacturing standards.
They are unquestionably one of the best servos available anywhere, at any price. Also, customer service and warranty is very good unless you send him a servo that suffered from abuse from the user.
You should really do some research before you bash a company with false claims.
This is utter nonsense. Jim Beech buys chinese manufactured servos and 'assembles them in the USA' (he does nothing), they are manufactured in China. Before you go on your spiel about how I don't know what I'm talking about, I worked in the servo industry for YEARS. This guy is a complete fkn tool to his customers and his servos are garbage compared to almost anything else out there. He falsely claims his units meet mil-spec, nobody in defense contracting uses his servos because he has lied so much about them- being friends with people that work for Trax International, Textron Aviation, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman, General Atomics, and several other contractors, I know this to be absolute undeniable fact (several of these individuals are lead test pilots for various sUAS programs). He claims to meet all kinds of certifications but when asked for the documentation on this he fails to provide it every single time. His servos don't even tolerate marginal endurance cycling, and when compared directly to other servos using an extremely costly IBM machine, they fail to come even close to their rated specifications, and not a single one myself or any of the engineers I worked with at said servo manufacturer were able to get anywhere near the rated lifespan before the servos burned up, slowed down, broke, or just stopped working entirely.

The potentiometers he uses are bottom of the barrel, the servos do not hold precise centering and the materials the servos are built from are soft. I know these facts are hard to swallow for car guys as car guys just buy everything they see as flashy, but in the aviation world his product is not considered highly upon. We had a local guy here that was sold on PM and put them in his IMAC aircraft- he routinely scored lower and lower every competition with claims that something was wrong with the airplane itself. It wasn't until we let him borrow several Futaba A700 servos that he realized the issue was not his airplane, but the horrible garbage servos he installed into his airplane that was causing lower scores. They have garnered a reputation in the aviation world as notoriously low quality and most now call them "Procrashers".

You guys buy up whatever you like and believe whatever you're told, I know what the real truth is with absolute certainty and you're better off not being ripped off by a guy who lies to your face about his product.

Just ask yourself this: If the servos are Made in USA, why is it they sell for the same price as the budget level Chinese or Taiwanese servos? If they were truly Made in USA, wouldn't they cost 3x as much? Made in USA is notoriously expensive...

Last edited:
Thanks for all that well detailed Insider information.;) You are a star.
I run DS3235 AMZ servos.
So no issues here. Break them, toss and replace is cheap enough. Which is not often.

I'd like to Send Promodeler a link here to your post above..... see how he replies........

Last edited:
This is utter nonsense. Jim Beech buys chinese manufactured servos and 'assembles them in the USA' (he does nothing), they are manufactured in China. Before you go on your spiel about how I don't know what I'm talking about, I worked in the servo industry for YEARS. This guy is a complete fkn tool to his customers and his servos are garbage compared to almost anything else out there. He falsely claims his units meet mil-spec, nobody in defense contracting uses his servos because he has lied so much about them- being friends with people that work for Trax International, Textron Aviation, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman, General Atomics, and several other contractors, I know this to be absolute undeniable fact (several of these individuals are lead test pilots for various sUAS programs). He claims to meet all kinds of certifications but when asked for the documentation on this he fails to provide it every single time. His servos don't even tolerate marginal endurance cycling, and when compared directly to other servos using an extremely costly IBM machine, they fail to come even close to their rated specifications, and not a single one myself or any of the engineers I worked with at said servo manufacturer were able to get anywhere near the rated lifespan before the servos burned up, slowed down, broke, or just stopped working entirely.

The potentiometers he uses are bottom of the barrel, the servos do not hold precise centering and the materials the servos are built from are soft. I know these facts are hard to swallow for car guys as car guys just buy everything they see as flashy, but in the aviation world his product is not considered highly upon. We had a local guy here that was sold on PM and put them in his IMAC aircraft- he routinely scored lower and lower every competition with claims that something was wrong with the airplane itself. It wasn't until we let him borrow several Futaba A700 servos that he realized the issue was not his airplane, but the horrible garbage servos he installed into his airplane that was causing lower scores. They have garnered a reputation in the aviation world as notoriously low quality and most now call them "Procrashers".

You guys buy up whatever you like and believe whatever you're told, I know what the real truth is with absolute certainty and you're better off not being ripped off by a guy who lies to your face about his product.

Just ask yourself this: If the servos are Made in USA, why is it they sell for the same price as the budget level Chinese or Taiwanese servos? If they were truly Made in USA, wouldn't they cost 3x as much? Made in USA is notoriously expensive...
His name is John, not Jim. And it sounds as though you may have an axe to grind here. And they are clearly not “Chinese junk” servos.
Why don’t you qualify yourself? What servo manufacturer have you worked for, and how do have such close ties to DOD personnel?
I'd like to Send Promodeler a link here to your post above..... see how he replies........
Outstanding idea. I hope he responds, but knowing him he may take the high road and choose not to reply to a very obvious troll.

Last edited:
I just got back from a wedding a few states away, I'll update when I get around to installing it.
was wondering where you been at!

Someone's had a sad, forgive a public response (and I promise, we don't routinely tick people off to this extent).

Xpress,,, . . . being anonymous means I can't take the initiative of calling to make amends. Despite that disadvantage, and regardless how a bee got stuck in your bonnet, I'd like a chance to make it right. Call me, John - tel: 407-302-3361 - but on the off chance you're ticked off so royally because of a warranty response, let me reiterate;
. . . and apropos of nothing in particular, expecting me to warranty broken gears is akin to plowing your Accord into a tree and expecting Honda to warranty it . . . not going to happen no matter what kind of fuss anybody makes because fair.

Finally, since Xpress..'s observation regarding 35Kg-cm servos on Amazon is perfectly valid and because we don't hide from any regardless of distribution channel, here's more information on the subject (offered on the basis of informed opinion).

Last thing; I asked a more truck-knowledgeable pal and he responded in part with . . . And yes, DS1155 is a “bit” too small for the 8S Kraton. I personally wouldn’t use it because while it will turn the wheels, it just will not withstand the harder landings, and crash-impact test like the DS1735BLDP and DS2180BLDP, will. Yes, the DS1505BLHV will also work, but I tried it and wanted more so I'd reserve a DS1505BLHV more for heavy 1/5 scale braking use.

Regarding Kratons with fewer cells, he added, everybody makes their own decision on what's right for them.
--

John, thankful our Arrmaforum association has been low key because this kind of brouhaha is too stressful to be routine

Last edited:
His name is John, not Jim. And it sounds as though you may have an axe to grind here. And they are clearly not “Chinese junk” servos.
Why don’t you qualify yourself? What servo manufacturer have you worked for, and how do have such close ties to DOD personnel?

Outstanding idea. I hope he responds, but knowing him he may take the high road and choose not to reply to a very obvious troll.
Jim, John, I never laid claims to not being dyslexic...

I'm not here to provide my entire biography, just to point out my point of view from things I've seen with my own two eyes and warn everyone to do their own homework before they blindly buy into something. Being in the air side of RC, you get to know a lot of people that have lengthy careers inside of sUAS commercial markets because of their RC flying experience- these companies buy Futaba equipment for their products, and nothing else. And besides, what is to make me think that providing my employment history is going to change anyone's opinions anymore than it already has, or has not? Waste of my time. If anyone genuinely wants to know then they can ask me personally.

In regards to comments of being a troll. Sure, my comments perfectly fit the description of a troll, except for the fact that comments of the low quality of the product can be found around the internet on various forums and groups. Trolling is generally a descriptor for someone that's just trying to provoke emotional response from generally obnoxious behavior and needlessly hurling insults around without warrant. Nothing I've said is blindly firing from the hip, it's all palpable and quantifiable.

Buy at your own risk, desire, preference, etc. I don't really care since it's your money. All I'm saying is, there's much, much better out there and you don't have to be lied to about it.

This is my final post about this subject, I'm not digging into this any further.

Someone's had a sad, forgive a public response (and I promise, we don't routinely tick people off to this extent).

Xpress,,, . . . being anonymous means I can't take the initiative of calling to make amends. Despite that disadvantage, and regardless how a bee got stuck in your bonnet, I'd like a chance to make it right. Call me, John - tel: 407-302-3361 - but on the off chance you're ticked off so royally because of a warranty response, let me reiterate;
. . . and apropos of nothing in particular, expecting me to warranty broken gears is akin to plowing your Accord into a tree and expecting Honda to warranty it . . . not going to happen no matter what kind of fuss anybody makes because fair.

Finally, since Xpress..'s observation regarding 35Kg-cm servos on Amazon is perfectly valid and because we don't hide from any regardless of distribution channel, here's more information on the subject (offered on the basis of informed opinion).
--

John, thankful our Arrmaforum association has been low key because this kind of brouhaha is too stressful to be routine
Thanks for responding, John. There are “fanboys” for any brand you can think of, in any genre from household appliances to high-end dildos.
I’m pretty sure that the vast majority who have personal experience with your servos have very positive things to say. I’ve never bought a Futaba servo (although you have said to me in the past that they’re fantastic servos, cream of the crop, and if you didn’t have the opportunity to use one of your own you would use one of theirs) and the reason I haven’t is because I discovered yours first and had stellar success with them in terms of reliability, power, and the ability to center better than any servo I ever used. So I don’t feel the need at this point to try and upgrade because for the money it’s hard for me to think I could buy a better servo.
I just did the math a little while ago, and in the course of my few years in this hobby I’ve spent almost $1300.00 for ProModeler servos for a ton of very different surface RC’s from 1/10 TC to 1/5 monsters. Most were for my 6s Arrma bashers that can take a real beating. I’m not one to flush money down the toilet, and prefer to subscribe to the “buy the best once and be done with it” philosophy which, in my experience, can save money and aggravation in the future.
I’ve never had one fail, have never been dissatisfied with the performance, and have never wanted to replace a single one of them for any reason.
So I guess I can own the mantle of “fanboy” when it comes to your servos. Thanks for an outstanding product that I will continue to purchase whenever I need another for a new project.
The above tome is for those who might not consider a ProModeler servo based on the horse-hockey that @Xpress.. posted earlier.
Nothing I've said is blindly firing from the hip, it's all palpable and quantifiable.
Which, by definition, makes you a troll of the highest order if you’re not willing to cite specific instances and annotations supporting your views. If it’s “palpable (😂) and quantifiable” then do it. Or shut up.
I’m not sure where your animosity lies, or from whence it springs, but at this point it’s totally baseless.

Just for reference I trashed my Promodeler myself and do/have taken responsibility for it.
My problem and I repeat MY PROBLEM is living in Canada sending it in to be fixed and getting it back is cost prohibitive and I'm better off buying another servo.
My issues right now are I was forced to move from the house I was renting for 9 years this year and the move has not only financially crippled me but mentally as well.
For the first time in my life I have absolutely zero motivation and depressed as hell.
Hopefully once I get out of this 3 month funk and try and get my life back in order I will have the ability to get things going again.
The last thing I did was remove the BEC and wiring that I ran to my old Promodeler in waiting for the new servo from John which will be battery powered but life threw a curveball and everything is still in boxes all over the place I'm in.

Just for reference I trashed my Promodeler myself and do/have taken responsibility for it.
My problem and I repeat MY PROBLEM is living in Canada sending it in to be fixed and getting it back is cost prohibitive and I'm better off buying another servo.
My issues right now are I was forced to move from the house I was renting for 9 years this year and the move has not only financially crippled me but mentally as well.
For the first time in my life I have absolutely zero motivation and depressed as hell.
Hopefully once I get out of this 3 month funk and try and get my life back in order I will have the ability to get things going again.
The last thing I did was remove the BEC and wiring that I ran to my old Promodeler in waiting for the new servo from John which will be battery powered but life threw a curveball and everything is still in boxes all over the place I'm in.
Dude, I can totally relate to that. I’m still recovering from some stuff that sort of formed layers on my psyche. Curveballs can really suck, and although you tend to think you can look out for them they are not always pitched from the mound. Hang in there, man.
The joy will return.

Dude, I can totally relate to that. I’m still recovering from some stuff that sort of formed layers on my psyche. Curveballs can really suck, and although you tend to think you can look out for them they are not always pitched from the mound. Hang in there, man.
The joy will return.
Yeah this one hurt I'm not gonna lie. I'm older than most here at almost 50.
My whole life I've worked for myself and been through ups and down but at this age when it happened it's really taken a toll on me.
At one point I couldn't afford food and I'm ashamed to say I was eating some of my dogs jerky for protein.
That's when I hit bottom.

Yeah this one hurt I'm not gonna lie. I'm older than most here at almost 50.
My whole life I've worked for myself and been through ups and down but at this age when it happened it's really taken a toll on me.
At one point I couldn't afford food and I'm ashamed to say I was eating some of my dogs jerky for protein.
That's when I hit bottom.
Wow, that’s rough. Move on, move up. I know, it’s easy to say…

You lost me at just buy a 35$ servo from Amazon 🤣. There is no way promodeler is that bad when my HobbyStar poops all over the Amazon special 😱

I did choose to pass because of the tone of the website though so I'd assume the hard headed statement is probably true.

I did choose to pass because of the tone of the website though so I'd assume the hard headed statement is probably true.
Yes, John is known for that. He’s a hard headed PITA who is very long winded and quite inflexible in entertaining discussions on how to configure and power his servos. He’s right on all counts of course, but having dealt with many engineers in my career I can make the choice to listen (often while having too many cigarette’s and three more shots of Tito’s that I didn’t need) in order to learn something and stay in his good graces so I can continue to buy his servos.
His servos are his babies. He has given birth to them from inception, and takes the conversation quite seriously.
Engineers…
Also, since he responded earlier I’m sure he’s seeing this. So John, I’m going to be honest and objective on the whole experience. Thanks for doing what you do and being a real pain in the ass to discuss things with. I can actually appreciate both, because I know where you’re coming from.

I am happy with what I have..... looks like you have received a response from the company you question. They have made themselves available for a discussion with you.

I appreciate the feedback from the majority....it has helped me make educated decisions that I do not regret in RC's

Yeah John at PM is on top of his game. Probably would not reply.
But I will send the link to John anyway, so he knows how crappy Promodeler "supposedly" is. :LOL:

>>>I just sent the Link to Promodeler.;)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back