$10 off coupon Ovonics at Ampow plus recommended 4500mah pack for Typhon 6s.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Reaction Dynamite 4S 5000mah hard case and the SMC True Spec Premium 4S 5000mah hard case lipos and in my Typhon 3S I get 2mph more with the Reaction lipo than the SMC.

I just tested 5200mah 50c Ovonics vs SMC 4500mah 90c.
On the Talion with LP Minokawas (because they're new and fun) and there is no question that the SMC packs are superior. I never really paid much attention before and while this wasn't a scientific test by any means, punch was huge with SMC and wheelies were abundant. It was so fast and fun.
I will be picking up some more of these high C-Rating SMC packs.
No doubt the SMC lipos are the real deal. The Ovonic may improve a little after a few cycles.

I have the Reaction Dynamite 4S 5000mah hard case and the SMC True Spec Premium 4S 5000mah hard case lipos and in my Typhon 3S I get 2mph more with the Reaction lipo than the SMC.

I don't doubt it but I prefer punch vs top speed.

I created this thread to show that I like the Ovonics for the price. I own more of those than the two SMC packs I own. I followed up by saying that I noticed great performance improvements with higher end packs.

edit: the Ampow Ovonics I bought in June 2019. The SMCs I bought 13 months ago.

Hard to measure punch vs top speed, but if I had to guess, the Reaction is better there too. Now the Reaction is way bigger and heavier and costs more too. So it’s not apples to apples. I wonder how the Reaction compares to the Turnigy Graphene. Is it worth the premium.

I have one panther graphene that I bought just to try out. It is legit amazing but ultimately I'd rather have more batteries than fewer more expensive ones. If I was racing for money it would be a different story.

Hard to measure punch vs top speed, but if I had to guess, the Reaction is better there too. Now the Reaction is way bigger and heavier and costs more too. So it’s not apples to apples. I wonder how the Reaction compares to the Turnigy Graphene. Is it worth the premium.

Punch is C rating. SMC has a legitimate system of measuring it and they're at least willing to share how *they do it.

Punch is C rating. SMC has a legitimate system of measuring it and they're at least willing to share how *they do it.
Wouldn’t that make my rig faster? It doesn’t ??‍♂️

Wouldn’t that make my rig faster? It doesn’t ??‍♂️
Chances are that you have not maxed out what the battery can deliver as far as amperage. The likely difference is the voltage sag. When looking at peak speed it is all about volts * the motor KV = rpms. (amps matter also but not so much at speeds under 90mph)

It sounds like your SMC sags down in a speed run a bit more than the Reaction battery.

Ampow has sales every week and I have found the Ovonics 6s packs to be a good value product.
If you own any Ovonics and want to get a $10 off coupon, write up a review and they'll send you the coupon.

https://www.ampow.com/reviews-and-ratings.html

These are the packs I really like and they fit all my Arrma 6s battery trays. Free shipping over fifty bucks.
https://www.ampow.com/ovonic-50c-5200mah-6s1p-xt90-lipo-battery.html

They also have a 4500mah pack that I'd buy as well at 2 for $100 shipped.
They'd probably fit Typhon tray even better but you'll have to change out the connectors.
https://www.ampow.com/ovonic-50c-4500mah-6s1p-deans-2pcs-lipo-battery.html#product_tabs_fits_models
great batteries, awesome deals, and outstanding customer service. fast shipping. i have had no problems with returns or the batteries them selves. i use the 6000mah 3s packs, solder on my ec5 and i was in the race.

Pretty good buy for a 6s hot weather pack combo with free shipping. ($55 each) Just need to solder a better connector. I prefer 4500-6000mah packs being in hot South Louisiana
I'm still happy with the packs I bought in May last year. Worth noting that I purchased 2x 5200mah 6s 50c on xt90 for $47 each back then which I felt was a stellar deal. They've held up well balance charged at typically 1.5c....which is my standard charge rate.

https://www.ampow.com/ovonic-50c-4500mah-6s1p-deans-2pcs-lipo-battery.html#product_tabs_fits_models

Pretty good buy for a 6s hot weather pack combo with free shipping. ($55 each) Just need to solder a better connector. I prefer 4500-6000mah packs being in hot South Louisiana
I'm still happy with the packs I bought in May last year. Worth noting that I purchased 2x 5200mah 6s 50c on xt90 for $47 each back then which I felt was a stellar deal. They've held up well balance charged at typically 1.5c....which is my standard charge rate.

4500-5500 seems to be the sweet spot I have found. It gives you enough run time to have fun but not so much that you cook your electronics.

4500-5500 seems to be the sweet spot I have found. It gives you enough run time to have fun but not so much that you cook your electronics.
That's how I roll. I barely notice 500mah difference so I never have a prob buying 4500 packs and any slight weight saving is always welcome.

Today I ran my 6s Kraton quite hard on an Ovonics 5200mah pack. Lipo performed well for being probably the most used in my collection. Gave me plenty, plenty runtime (15min ish?)...more than necessary but when I got to low voltage cutoff I came back and measured at 180f temp on my motor. This resulted in hotter electrics than I like to get and it was a mild, windy, 70f sunny day....rare comfortable environment here with even lower humidity. 5000mah is ideal for me and I'll never need more time than this with charged backups.

I'm having a totally different experience with some brand new 6000 mAh 50c 3s Ovonics. I ran a pair twice in my almost new, Typhon 6s, and couldn't get more than 10 minutes run time. They have the 2.8 Badlands on, but shouldn't have made that much difference. I ran a single pack in my Granite Blx tonight, and they didn't come close to the 6000 mAh 50c 3s HRB I have. I run two 5000 mAh 50c gensacearespammers in my Notorious 6s, and it gets 16 to 18 minutes almost every time, and it's a much heavier truck than the Typhon. Contacted Ampow and they said "thanks for the feedback". Problem I'm noticing is that they hit lvc way to early. Each time after running, I check the packs at home. The Ovonics always have 3.82 volts per cel in them, where the gensacearespammers usually drain to the low 3.7's. Not sure why they shutdown so quick, but I'm definitely not happy that they do. I'll make my final call once I've run them in the Notorious.

I'm having a totally different experience with some brand new 6000 mAh 50c 3s Ovonics. I ran a pair twice in my almost new, Typhon 6s, and couldn't get more than 10 minutes run time. They have the 2.8 Badlands on, but shouldn't have made that much difference. I ran a single pack in my Granite Blx tonight, and they didn't come close to the 6000 mAh 50c 3s HRB I have. I run two 5000 mAh 50c gensacearespammers in my Notorious 6s, and it gets 16 to 18 minutes almost every time, and it's a much heavier truck than the Typhon. Contacted Ampow and they said "thanks for the feedback". Problem I'm noticing is that they hit lvc way to early. Each time after running, I check the packs at home. The Ovonics always have 3.82 volts per cel in them, where the gensacearespammers usually drain to the low 3.7's. Not sure why they shutdown so quick, but I'm definitely not happy that they do. I'll make my final call once I've run them in the Notorious.
Sorry to hear this!

Sorry to hear this!
No worries. Trial and error is the name of the game. Gonna have to run them regardless, cause Ampow wants nothing to do with it. Will stick to my tried and tested gensacearespammers going forward, even at twice the price.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back