Granite 14mm hex wheel and tire choices seem to suck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Frankenstein 3S
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite
  4. Typhon 3s
Maybe it's because I dunno how to properly mount a tire myself.

I want to go 12mm hex and get smaller wheels.

The stock wheel is 2.8" right? Can I go 12mm hex and get 2.2" wheels and not have clearance issues with the suspension and stuff? We're doing speed things. We want some smaller low profile on road tires/rims.

I just had some poop luck with wheels and mounted tires. Need some advice. I would love to go to 17mm but have no idea what I am doing/parts seem scarce to convert.

I think there are options in the 14mm like the Duratrax and limited other (very)....but stock is just gone right now due to the pandemic

17mm Proland Bandlands 2.8 are popular here and you can get straight 17mm or option with a 17mm adapter if you what do between two different mm

If going 17mm need something like the HR extenders for the Granite BLX:
https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ATF117XT02;c=1385

Yes, the stock is 2.8 14mm hex. There vendor that sells adapter for 12mm hex but you have to search the forum for more info

Is going to an aluminum 12mm hex inadvisable? There are a shitload of 2.8 inch wheels out there 12mm. I can see how bigger is better in torque applications. I will not try the duratrax 14mm line again. Going 17mm is not possible at this time with back order covid era. It's in the future for sure though.

The only disadvantage is smaller hexes are mechanically weaker than larger hexes. This is why it's preferred to go up in hex size rather than down. But in the 2-3s class 12mm hex should be fine.

I run typhon arms an hot racing 10mm extensions. On both my 3s trucks.love setup.17mm wheels tires if you get the Badlands spend extra $ get belted ones.2.8 badlands balloon Bad even on 3s.real bad on 20t pinion.
The Badland 2.8 from Proline they come with removable hexes so you can change it to hex on the Wheel from 12 Mm to 17 Mm even a half inch backspacing. Trust me don't buy cheap tires buck up and buy the best belted Pro Lines. Trust me don't waste your $ like I did.i spent lots of money on duratrax tires and other junk

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200719-022004_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-022004_Photos.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20200719-022234_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-022234_Photos.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back