30c instead 35c Discharge Rate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCbasher33

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Just got a deal on x2 2s 30c 5200mah lipos. I know the granite 4x4 blx calls for 35c.

Will I have a problem running these? What will happen/could happen.

Thanks

You will surely burn your truck to the ground. I think you will be ok. Maybe a little less power.

Depends on the quality. A TRUE 30c lipo will be fine. But most lipos labeled as 30c will test out 20c or less...

As a general rule, if I can't find independent testing, I assume any lipo labeled less then 50c is probably a 20c-25c lipo (or less) if it labeled over 50c, it probably is 25c-35c. Don't believe any claims over 35c without proof testing.
If you want to read up on guys that actually test lipos, head over to RCGROUPS.COM, and their battery forum. Here is one thread to get to get you started...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1767093-Battery-Load-Test-Comparisons

Last edited:
Truth is the C ratings are NOT universal or enforced by any authority.

As many people will tell you, it all depends on the manufacturer and the quality of the cells.

I have run 30c (60C burst) ( 2 x 2s)packs in a granite BLX, and it seemed to have slightly less punch than when I ran the equivalent 4S pack with a 50c rating from the same manufacturer. Just my subjective experience. But it will run in the truck just fine, no need to worry.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone got them for a new crawler I'm building but was just curious if they would be okay to run in the granite as well

Thanks everyone got them for a new crawler I'm building but was just curious if they would be okay to run in the granite as well
Yes it should be fine. In fact, many people ignore the C rating which is ok generally until you start getting into 6s and 8s trucks.

This is really bad advice. There have been numerous people coming here asking for help as to why their rigs keep shutting off. If you paid attention to the board you would know it is quite common. They all take this type of lack advice and buy cheap lipos then wonder why they can’t run their rigs. It absolutely matters.

This is really bad advice. There have been numerous people coming here asking for help as to why their rigs keep shutting off. If you paid attention to the board you would know it is quite common. They all take this type of lack advice and buy cheap lipos then wonder why they can’t run their rigs. It absolutely matters.
Bad advice? The best advice would be for manufacturers to have a set way of testing and proving C rating. And there isn’t.

You can’t dog people for using things that aren’t regulated properly.

I personally do not use any cheap lipo’s on my high end rigs.

I do use cheap amazon 2s packs on my 4s units and I’ve never had a single issue related to the electronics.

If the vehicle is cutting off it’s probably not rated to the C rating. Especially if it’s “5” less than what’s required. Again there is no standardized tests.

Anyone who “reads the boards” and does any amount of research elsewhere, will know exactly what I am saying is truth.

That said, don’t buy bottom barrel super cheap unknown lipo’s and come here to complain when you have issues.

My only point is the C rating doesn’t mean much when comparing manufacturers. It’s only useful to apply to a single manufacturer. And that’s a fact .

You said C ratings were irrelevant and they’re not. They matter. They aren’t always accurate but that isn’t the same thing. It doesn’t just matter on 6S and up. It matters on all lipos. If you can’t supply enough power to the ESC in bursts of throttle, then voltage will sag due to the low C (or mah) rating and cause LVC. I’ve been there, done that and it sucks. You know you have more juice in the pack and it just keeps going limp.

@jondilly1974. Is correct.
Anaolgy:
You bought that awesome 55 gallon air compressor you always wanted for many years at a great price. You have it home now. And you cant wait to blow off all those dirty RC rigs.
You plug it in to the outlet where you placed that monster and wait for that huge 55 gallon tank to get the pressure up to 120PSI, and when you do, suddenly the Circuit breaker trips, your wife screams saying, the power went out in the house. You are in the dark scratching your head darting for the circuit breaker box. You reset the breaker and it trips again.
All this because your monster air 20AMP air compressor is plugged into a 10 Amp house circuit. You have 120volts circuit , but that circuit can ONLY provide 10 AMPS. And you are SOL.;)
The C rating is a very loose spec. used for marketing to sell their lipo's. It is not a regulated spec by any industry standard. It is a spec nonetheless with some valid meaning. It never correlates from brand to brand. Cheap no name rebranded Lipos fudge the numbers to get into the lipo market. Stay with name brand if you are serious about the power you want in high amp draw RC's. Crawlers are low demand RC's in general. Most are brushed with 60 amp ESC's And it may not be significant. 120 -200 Amp ESC's need more Amps. If you don't provide enough. Your rig will go LVC very much sooner than later (sometimes immediately)and frustrate you until you figure it out. As newbs we were always looking for cheap options. Lipos included. But, you generally pay for what you get in a brand name or well reviewed lipo pack. If not sure, ask other Hobbyists using similar Rigs what works for them. After you purchase your 20th Lipo Pack and been running your rigs for a while, you will realize what @jondilly1974 is saying. It's gospel.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back