3rd BLX100 esc. Same issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N0isyknuckles

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So I got a arrma granite BLX with the 100blx esc. I’m using 60c awanfi 3s lipo’s with deans to Ec5 connectors.

After running it a few times the vehicle would go into low voltage slowpoke mode if I ran it hard for about 10-15 seconds. (Like a speed run).
I had the same issue with both batteries with fully charged batteries so I sent the truck back and was given a replacement. Same issue. I talked to arrma support and they sent me a new BLX 100 esc thinking maybe my replacement truck was from the same batch as the first. Again the same issue.

I’ve used 4 different NEW deans to Ec5 connectors, 2 different NEW awanfi lipo’s (charged and balanced) and 3 different blx100 esc’s. Am I missing something here? Is it normal for a truck to go into low voltage slowpoke mode if you run it hard for 10-15 seconds? Awanfi 3s 60c batteries seem to have great reviews. My only other thought was perhaps the Ec5 to deans connector converters are the issue. Any help as to what I should try next would be appreciated.

Best advice I can give right now is to avoid the BLX100 as they seem to be having qc issues. There are many threads about this exact issue, some of the guys have reported that they received a BLX120 from Horizon as a replacement.

I would contact Horizon once again, tell them that you are still having issues with your third BLX100 esc and request a BLX120 as a replacement.

deans to ec5 isnt good.. get rid of the deans if you can..

also you stated you have 60c batteries but no mention of the capacity?

but slick is right...this has been an issue..still like to hear what capacity batteries you have...

deans to ec5 isnt good.. get rid of the deans if you can..

also you stated you have 60c batteries but no mention of the capacity?

but slick is right...this has been an issue..still like to hear what capacity batteries you have...
They are awanfi 3s 5000mah 60c.

They are awanfi 3s 5000mah 60c.

is your charger capable of monitoring the internal resistance? most cheaper packs have high i.r... creating voltage sag.. being the lvc on a blx100 esc is quite high, its easy for a cheaper lipo to sag into lvc zone.. a quality lipo, something spendy, and usually graphene, will have a i.r around or less than 2 mohm.. the lower the number the more stable the over time output voltage...

is there anyone that can loan you a very good battery for a cycle? this can rule out the dead esc theory...while there has been alot of this blx100 lvc i tend to think its because the price point of the cells, the cheaper, the higher the i.r... not alot of people get warm fuzzy feelings from spending almost half of the rig price on batteries, so we tend to lean on the cheaper stuff to feel like we got a good deal, which intern can lend a hand to lvc issues...

try to get your hands on a quality battery to try.. look for something in the 100c range and over 5200mah the higher the better..

is your charger capable of monitoring the internal resistance? most cheaper packs have high i.r... creating voltage sag.. being the lvc on a blx100 esc is quite high, its easy for a cheaper lipo to sag into lvc zone.. a quality lipo, something spendy, and usually graphene, will have a i.r around or less than 2 mohm.. the lower the number the more stable the over time output voltage...

is there anyone that can loan you a very good battery for a cycle? this can rule out the dead esc theory...while there has been alot of this blx100 lvc i tend to think its because the price point of the cells, the cheaper, the higher the i.r... not alot of people get warm fuzzy feelings from spending almost half of the rig price on batteries, so we tend to lean on the cheaper stuff to feel like we got a good deal, which intern can lend a hand to lvc issues...

try to get your hands on a quality battery to try.. look for something in the 100c range and over 5200mah the higher the better..
I’m using the skyrc imax b6 mini. Just checked the resistance on the batteries and it says total is 30m& and each individual cell is 010 010 010 m&. Second battery was 30 total and 011 010 009. Also just got off phone with arrma and they are sending me a 120blx. If you think I should, I’ll just return these awanfi batteries to amazon and go to the hobby shop and get a good one. Would be nice not to have to have a deans to Ec5 connector anyway.

I'm also suggesting to double-check your deans connection. Really depends on age etc but you stated that they are new and you've tried multiple. One way to eliminate is to take a temp reading on the connector when this happens. Shouldn't be higher than 110F but keep ambient in mind. If it's significantly higher you've found your issue. I despise all interconnections but that is just me. I dislike deans for many other reasons but that is personal choice.

At a minimum, it will give you some confidence in isolating the real issue. Very odd that you get 3 in a row that have the same issue but from what I see, in other comments, not impossible either.

I can say that I had problems with 2 esc's and got to keep them and got replacements, the replacements worked just fine. I just got new SMC batteries that are the newer DV series and no issue on new esc, the old esc still cuts out at 4V per cell on 3 cell but works fine on 2 cell except on 2 cell the low voltage cuts out at 3.3 VPC. Strange.
I am hoping these batteries work out.
There all 8000mah, noticed velcro for low voltage alarm covers numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_160039783.jpg
    IMG_20200315_160039783.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 75
I can say that I had problems with 2 esc's and got to keep them and got replacements, the replacements worked just fine. I just got new SMC batteries that are the newer DV series and no issue on new esc, the old esc still cuts out at 4V per cell on 3 cell but works fine on 2 cell except on 2 cell the low voltage cuts out at 3.3 VPC. Strange.
I am hoping these batteries work out.
There all 8000mah, noticed velcro for low voltage alarm covers numbers.
It's almost like they screwed up the lvc settings for 3s lipos I've seen others mention that on 2s it works fine but 3s hits lvc right around 4.0v.

Has anyone tried a esc program with the hobbywing card? And installed a ubec with capacitor? Seems like the more I read the thread everyone goes to lvc and batteries...

I'm not saying its the same issue but sound very similar. Please check the thread I started recently.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/3s-batteries-die-2s-batteries-don't.19373/

For me, I had to reset the ESC to "factory settings". I found the directions in the manual.

"To reset the ESC to factory default settings, connect a battery, turn the transmitter on and then turn the car on. Press and hold the set button for 4 seconds and release. The Red and Green lights will flash simultaneously to show you have reset. Switch the ESC off and factory reset is complete."

Awesome idea and it worked for you.. so.. I believed it was a factory programming issue. Which can lead to the other esc problems. But the limp issue being the most common. I think straight out of the box do a factory reset. Then set the throttle calibration. Ect.

Has anyone tried a esc program with the hobbywing card? And installed a ubec with capacitor? Seems like the more I read the thread everyone goes to lvc and batteries...
You can disable the lvc and run an external alarm I have seen guys doing this and it seemed to work for them.

You can disable the lvc and run an external alarm I have seen guys doing this and it seemed to work for them.
If I was to disable lvc I would just run Nimh batts.. I know its works but its risky.

Burst rates are calculated for 10s. The blx100 has a lvc cut off at 3.5v. So going over the 10s you risk heat which decreases the voltage in the cell atm until u let off and cool down

Burst rates are calculated for 10s. The blx100 has a lvc cut off at 3.5v. So going over the 10s you risk heat which decreases the voltage in the cell atm until u let off and cool down
Pretty sure if you hook up a 10S pack to the BLX100 it’s gonna smoke it.

The b
Pretty sure if you hook up a 10S pack to the BLX100 it’s gonna smoke it.
What?. 10 second burst...10s. Not 10s lipos
Hey thats so dumb did anyone try to reset the esc to factory default and it fixed the issue? If it does man you got 3 free escs?
Well the more I read about it the more I hear of nb doing it. Most of these issues are solved. Just ppl don't pay attention or care to follow the manual right out of the box

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back