3s electronics question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPEARCE

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
I purchased a V3 BRCC 3s early this year and love it. However while searching HH and Arrma for parts and part #’s I have questions. Is there a start date or way to find out other than tear down and looking, to determine which variant I have? Arrma and HH lost the updated V3 line as having Firma electronics, I think motor and esc. But when I started modding my truck shortly after purchase I don’t think I’ve seen any parts that say Firma. When I cross referenced Arrma parts there are two different motors. Thanks in advanced for any help, and if this has been talked about in the past , I’ll gladly accept any links.

Not sure how to answer your question but you have a "V3" which is the current version of the BRCC. It should have a black body and uses wider arms than the previous BRCC. If you go to Arrma's website, it should have a list of the standard components that come with the truck. Also posting pictures of what you are trying to identify helps a lot.

Not sure how to answer your question but you have a "V3" which is the current version of the BRCC. It should have a black body and uses wider arms than the previous BRCC. If you go to Arrma's website, it should have a list of the standard components that come with the truck. Also posting pictures of what you are trying to identify helps a lot.
That’s what I’m talking about. When cross referencing the parts on Arrma, HH, and others they don’t have the standard motor as being Firma. However there are two options one is a red can with the logo and the other is black if I remember correctly. The website also states under the features of this vehicle in particular as having Firma electronics. What is Firma even? Is there something special other than telemetry or battery info.?

That’s what I’m talking about. When cross referencing the parts on Arrma, HH, and others they don’t have the standard motor as being Firma. However there are two options one is a red can with the logo and the other is black if I remember correctly. The website also states under the features of this vehicle in particular as having Firma electronics. What is Firma even? Is there something special other than telemetry or battery info.?

Firma is just a moniker given by Spektrum to their electronics.

If you look at Arrma's page it tells you which motor comes stock with the BRCC:

https://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/bigrock/blx/4x4#gallery-21

I'm not familiar with the "red can with the logo" if you could post a photo of it to help identify it.

Power Specs for the Firma and the older Legacy Arrma electrics are essentially the same. Firma Smart features are just fluff. And this increased the price point for some of these 4x4 rigs.
The older Arrma electrics are fine and no worse than the Firma electircs. IMHO.
Last I heard both stocker motors are Black in color.
Was your rig purchased new or used.?
Possible that the motor was changed out if it is a used rig.. They are known to fail very early on at the BB's with lack of motor and power module cleaning and maintenance.

V1 BRCC had Tactic TTX300 radio, V2 had Spektrum STX2, V3 has wider a arms, the Spektrum SLT3 radio, Spektrum servo, Spektrum Firma motor and Arrma BLX100 esc.

Firma is the name for the lineup of electronics from Spektrum.
Power Specs for the Firma and the older Legacy Arrma electrics are essentially the same. Firma Smart features are just fluff. And this increased the price point for some of these 4x4 rigs.
The BLX motors seemed to be a little more reliable though. Seemed whoever was making the Spektrum motors cheaped out on the bearings there was a lot of discussion about locked up motors after the V3 models were released.

Firma is just a moniker given by Spektrum to their electronics.

If you look at Arrma's page it tells you which motor comes stock with the BRCC:

https://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/bigrock/blx/4x4#gallery-21

I'm not familiar with the "red can with the logo" if you could post a photo of it to help identify it.
I posted pictures in a reply. Both are listed on numerous websites if you search Arrma Big Rock motor. Both seem to have the same specs as well. 3660 can 3200kv but two different color ways.
I posted pictures to a reply to Senton Prime but now I can’t see them. I’ll post again for clarification here. The first is a screen shot of the Arrma website scroll bar under this rig. The next two are from another Amain affiliate using the Arrma Big Rock motor search bar. Both motors come up as listed for this truck and both I believe have the same specs. The black can is the one that Arrma claims to be Firma but the red can doesn’t have anything in the description about Firma. I know Firma is a name used by Spektrum but what else is different. If I remember correctly, and I will verify later, I think my truck has the red can.

Attachments

• 2D3B7031-094E-4E94-BA23-5AFE653666F4.png
    2D3B7031-094E-4E94-BA23-5AFE653666F4.png
    465.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 59AAE273-AAE7-4217-AF46-3C5DF5DA599B.png
    59AAE273-AAE7-4217-AF46-3C5DF5DA599B.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 707B7A9D-8DC3-4D32-A8A3-454ED06F8CF2.png
    707B7A9D-8DC3-4D32-A8A3-454ED06F8CF2.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I posted pictures in a reply. Both are listed on numerous websites if you search Arrma Big Rock motor. Both seem to have the same specs as well. 3660 can 3200kv but two different color ways.

Maybe I missed it or I need to refresh my page, but if you're referring to this one: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/blx3660-3200kv-brushless-10th-4-pole-motor-4x4/ARAG1023.html

It was the motor in the BRCC prior to the V3 when Arrma switched over to Spektrum branded electronics but have essentially the same performance specs (both metnioned above by @slick2500 and @SrC)

Last I heard both stocker motors are Black in color.
Was your rig purchased new or used.?
Possible that the motor was changed out if it is a used rig.. They are known to fail very early on at the BB's with lack of motor and power module cleaning and maintenance.
New as of January 2022. I added a new post on this thread with the pictures and the specs seem the same but one is listed as Firma and the other makes no mention of it. One is a Spektrum motor and the other is an Arrma motor. I don’t get it.
Maybe I missed it or I need to refresh my page, but if you're referring to this one: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/blx3660-3200kv-brushless-10th-4-pole-motor-4x4/ARAG1023.html

It was the motor in the BRCC prior to the V3 when Arrma switched over to Spektrum branded electronics but have essentially the same performance specs (both metnioned above by @slick2500 and @SrC)
This is what I was asking about. Is the only difference the branding and discontinued use?

New as of January 2022. I added a new post on this thread with the pictures and the specs seem the same but one is listed as Firma and the other makes no mention of it. One is a Spektrum motor and the other is an Arrma motor. I don’t get it.

This is what I was asking about. Is the only difference the branding and discontinued use?

The Firma branding is only for the Spekrum electronics you will never find anything with Firma on any of the Arrma electronics.

Yes aside from the looks of the motor can they are essentially the same motor.

This is the downside to Arrma making such frequent updates to their vehicles, it makes it really confusing to find the correct parts sometimes.

V1 BRCC had Tactic TTX300 radio, V2 had Spektrum STX2, V3 has wider a arms, the Spektrum SLT3 radio, Spektrum servo, Spektrum Firma motor and Arrma BLX100 esc.

Firma is the name for the lineup of electronics from Spektrum.

The BLX motors seemed to be a little more reliable though. Seemed whoever was making the Spektrum motors cheaped out on the bearings there was a lot of discussion about locked up motors after the V3 models were released.
The BB's were always an issue with the 4x4 BLX motors. Maybe they are barely even Abec 5 rated?? IDK. Probably dry BB's out the gate??
Best to lube them when new out the box.??? Or even change them out with better upgrade BB's out the gate perhaps??:unsure:
Might get better luck with them. Saving the Armature. What bricks these motors from exploded BB's in the first place.

The BB's were always an issue with the 4x4 BLX motors. Maybe they are barely even Abec 5 rated?? IDK. Probably dry BB's out the gate??
Best to lube them when new out the box.??? Or even change them out with better upgrade BB's out the gate perhaps??:unsure:
Might get better luck with them. Saving the Armature. What bricks these motors from exploded BB's in the first place.
Idk when they first started coming with the Spektrum motors there was an influx in posts about motors with 1-2 runs on them with locked up bearings, I know the BLX had the problem too but it usually seemed to take a dozen runs or so before the motors locked up. 🤷‍♂️

The specs and performance of the motors is the same. I've used both in my Granite.

But you guys are forgetting there is one major difference between the older BLX motors and the newer Firma Spektrum motors. The safe-D pinion. The V3 Firma Spektrum motors have a D-shaped motor shaft that fits Arrma's safe-D pinion. This shape along with the end clip helps keep the pinion secure even if your grub screw comes loose. (I also think the D-shape removes any stress on the grub screw so it never comes loose in the first place.)

A safe-D pinion will NOT fit on the older BLX motors. The BLX motors have a completely round motor shaft. If you buy a BLX motor, you also have to buy a standard pinion with a round hole.

I think the safe-D system is an improvement. When it came time to get a new motor, I opted for the Firma Spektrum and a safe-D pinion. So far, it's never come loose.

Last edited:
The specs and performance of the motors is the same. I've used both in my Granite.

But you guys are forgetting there is one major difference between the older BLX motors and the newer Firma Spektrum motors. The safe-D pinion. The V3 Firma Spektrum motors have a D-shaped motor shaft that fits Arrma's safe-D pinion. This shape along with the end clip helps keep the pinion secure even if your grub screw comes loose. (I also think the D-shape removes any stress on the grub screw so it never comes loose in the first place.)

A safe-D pinion will NOT fit on the older BLX motors. The BLX motors have a completely round motor shaft. If you buy a BLX motor, you also have to buy a standard pinion with a round hole.

I think the safe-D system is an improvement. When it came time to get a new motor, I opted for the Firma Spektrum and a safe-D pinion. So far, it's never come loose.
I think you just have to grind the lip of the end of the BLX motor shaft to get the Safe-D pinions on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back