Typhon 3S motor bearing issue: fix now or wait for it to become an issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
Typhon 3S V3. Two weeks old. No sign of issue yet, though I'm also a rooking and not sure I'd be able to tell.

Should I change the bearing to prevent problems? Or let it be unless it turns into a problem? If wait, what should I watch out for?

Follow the recommendation in your manual. Motor bearings are typically not an issue if maintained well. Just keep any water away from the motor, which shouldn't be an issue. Once a season is typically good enough, maybe every 30 packs or so, a little oil will do.

If you think your bearings are toast and never lubed or maintained you motor before, I suggest you replace both motor bearings.
The stock ones always fail easily.
If you don't replace them before they are bricked, you have a good chance at ruining the the whole armature. A part that is NOT replaceable. You will need a new motor. Bearings wont help at that point. Bearings are inexpensive by comparison. Rebuild your motors and lube them. A drop of oil on the bearings. Even with a fresh new set, put a drop on each.
Follow what a @jkflow states above. 👍

Arrma motor – JimsBearings

EDIT: You have a new motor. Just maintain it well. Cant hurt to lube them right now. I rebuild my motors when new. But I am more anal like that.
And I rarely have motor issues and never run in the wet.

Last edited:
If you think your bearings are toast and never lubed or maintained you motor before, I suggest you replace both motor bearings.
The stock ones always fail easily.
If you don't replace them before they are bricked, you have a good chance at ruining the the whole armature. A part that is NOT replaceable. You will need a new motor. Bearings wont help at that point. Bearings are inexpensive by comparison. Rebuild your motors and lube them. A drop of oil on the bearings. Even with a fresh new set, put a drop on each.
Follow what a @jkflow states above. 👍

Arrma motor – JimsBearings

EDIT: You have a new motor. Just maintain it well. Cant hurt to lube them right now. I rebuild my motors when new. But I am more anal like that.
And I rarely have motor issues and never run in the wet.
Hi, I just removed the armature and the one bearing is destroyed. Under where the bearing goes is a half circle of what looks like blue gum or silicone. Is it supposed to be a full circle? I don’t think the bearing will lay flat. I didn’t want to buy bearings if motor is destroyed. I post a video on my YouTube channel to show what I am referring to. I have Typhon 3s and have never done this before. I had to hammer out the armature. No blue stuff fell out tho. Brianu333is my YouTube

Also, how do you maintain the motor and bearings. Aren’t they sealed bearing. Do I spray cleaner inside motor do get dirt out and off armature? I have other rc cars that haven’t broke yet.

Thanks in advance

Need to actually open the motors up every so often, your mileage will vary. Flush out the Open motor with any automotive Electrical Contact Spray. (Think CRC brand) Focus on flushing the BB's well too. After well flushed out, you need to distnguish between a viable BB versus a worn one with a very close inspection. Replacing a sloppy/loose BB before it explodes will prevent Rotor/Armature damage. Always replace both BB's in pairs, with motor specific BB's. Generally the Pinion side BB will fail first. Especially if the back BB is not exposed/hidden. Just this other BB is not far behind it, wear wise anyway. Some motors have them exposed, some not.
Not all BB's are perfectly "Sealed", In fact many Motor BB's are just "shielded". Shielded BB's generally provide less friction. Motor BB's are made to a high speed ABEC spec, for high RPM's and high temps of the motor. Unlike the rest of the BB's throughout the drivetrain. So there are motor specific BB's for this reason.
I prefer Ceramic BB's, for a mere few coins more $$ in my motors, only when the time comes to replace them in all my BLX motors. They always last the longest for me. I never had a Ceramic BB explode on me out of nowhere. Yet at least. Some are well used. But I maintain them often. About every 20-30 packs in, on average. Usually when I pull out the center diff for service. You should do this when you remove the Power Module/ Slipper clutch with your 4x4. These need a regular cleaning out as well anyway.
Lube the Motor's BB's with a Synthetic Oil. I happen to use Superlube oil, or a thinner Liberty RC Oil. (AMZ) Bothe are synthetic oils and handle high temps better. Lubing for longer.
One or 2 drops on each BB is all you need after the motor is cleaned out and BB's are dry of any spray solvent used. BLX motors will last for years and years.
The Stocker Motor BB's tend to be very dry, and of lower quality and fail much sooner than later. I always open and lube any motor that is brand new, to make sure it is lubed well.
Good luck. :cool:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back