Outcast Outcast V2.5 Heating issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy5586

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 4s
I bought my first arrma last week, decided on the 4s outcast v2.5. I have 2 losi lmt mega trucks 4s so didn't want to have to start over again on batteries. I binded the outcast to my spektrum dx5 rugged out of the box. Sunday I drove the truck for the first time playing around in the back yard and noticed the motor temp on my radio showed roughly 240 degrees. I pulled the body off and you could definitely feel the heat from the motor as well as the battery. I'm running spektrum 4s 5000mah 100c batteries. So I looked around and researched as much as I could and many said the fans that come on these trucks are better than nothing but not by much. I installed surpass rocket fans on the motor and esc. Took the truck out again today and max motor temp I seen was 208 degrees if running it really hard. It cools down very quickly with the rocket fan but still that seems pretty dang hot to me. Battery temp was 143 degrees when I called it quits and let the truck just sit with the fans on to cool off. Truck is bone stock aside from fans. I have a spektrum box to change settings but all settings are stock. I made sure nothing was binding in the drive train and it rolls freely. While it does roll freely I notice a pretty audible clicking/popping which I'm assuming is the center diff? I checked the mesh on the motor pinion and it has slack/isn't dead tight up against the diff gear. Anyone else have this issue or know where to go now? I absolutely love the truck but don't want to melt stuff out of the gate. Thank y'all!

The audible clicking is cogging, something that happens from the magnets in the motor, totally normal. The heat range is about what I'd expect, tires are big, open diffs, moderately heavy vehicle. I run one of these Yeah Racing dual motor fans and still land near 200F after bashing around. I don't think you're way over.

The audible clicking is cogging, something that happens from the magnets in the motor, totally normal. The heat range is about what I'd expect, tires are big, open diffs, moderately heavy vehicle. I run one of these Yeah Racing dual motor fans and still land near 200F after bashing around. I don't think you're way over.
Does that fit the factory spektrum motor on the 4s outcast?

Battery heating up? That's a symptom of an over geared truck. Are you using stock gearing?

I don't have experience with Spektrum batteries, but the feedback is not positive in general. Quite expensive for little performance with C values that cannot be trusted.
Do you have another battery to try to see what happens?

Otherwise look into the CNHL discount:

https://chinahobbyline.com/collecti...ase-with-ec5-plug?_pos=1&_fid=11668f862&_ss=c

This would be a great battery for your car.
Funny you said that because I actually ordered one of their 6600mah 120c batteries that should be here tomorrow

I bought this gun after your recommendation and just tested everything out, when the remote read 200 degrees I pulled the body off and hit the back of the motor with the temp gun and it read 170, so the telemetry is off roughly 30-40 degrees. The lower the motor temp is the more accurate the telemetry is, and the hotter it gets the more it's off

interesting, but good news, not quite as bad as it looked at first
You got that right, had me a tad on edge about melting something down! Apparently after talking on here and outside of here the telemetry isn't accurate as far as motor temp and reads higher than it actually is

now try running it in sand during the summer :ROFLMAO:

All kinds of stuff to tweak as well, drivetrain losses etc you can spend a lot of time agonizing over every detail or just have fun with it. or both, depends on the personality lol

now try running it in sand during the summer :ROFLMAO:

All kinds of stuff to tweak as well, drivetrain losses etc you can spend a lot of time agonizing over every detail or just have fun with it. or both, depends on the personality lol
I can only imagine honestly! Only reason I was remotely concerned is due to the fact the outside temp here when this happened was 65 degrees, and it will only get worse as summer approaches

and imagine how awesome it will drive, with heatsink fans on the motor and an external BEC and the endless rabbit hole lol

and imagine how awesome it will drive, with heatsink fans on the motor and an external BEC and the endless rabbit hole lol
She's got the factory heat sink, rocket fan in place of the factory fan. I'm going to upgrade the steering servo and saver, run it until something breaks

I have to mention this, it may not be relevant to you, but the Honda civic crush washer that I had in a drawer, since 2003, fit perfectly under the spring to increase the tension of the servo saver. Steering is super tight. Added AVC with a SR6200A and a dx5 rugged transmitter bundle sale one day and it handled like a weapon.

I have to mention this, it may not be relevant to you, but the Honda civic crush washer that I had in a drawer, since 2003, fit perfectly under the spring to increase the tension of the servo saver. Steering is super tight. Added AVC with a SR6200A and a dx5 rugged transmitter bundle sale one day and it handled like a weapon.
I have a dx5 rugged as well. I've had a protek 370tbl sitting around I'm going to put in it and try out. I've had really good luck with reefs but figured I'd give this a try with a kimbrough 124 saver. If I destroy the protek I'll replace it with a reefs

If the motor is running that hot with stock gearing and fans running, check your bearings would be my first suggestion. Motor bearings, center diff bearings. If it’s not the bearings, something is making the motor work harder than it’s supposed to. Find out where the resistance is coming from. 170-200 is too hot, at 180 you are going to fry your motor magnets.

If the motor is running that hot with stock gearing and fans running, check your bearings would be my first suggestion. Motor bearings, center diff bearings. If it’s not the bearings, something is making the motor work harder than it’s supposed to. Find out where the resistance is coming from. 170-200 is too hot, at 180 you are going to fry your motor magnets.
I ordered a set of fast eddie bearings last night to go ahead and replace the factory ones with. Haven't checked the motor bearings but everything else seems to be free, not to say there isn't some that are slightly giving resistance that can't be felt rolling everything

I'm also going to drop the punch setting down a little today, it's still the factory 22.5

Last edited:
Back