Kraton 4s rear diff binding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheStapler

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a new katon 4s v2.5 with only 4 packs throught it. I decided to top up diff oil and notice after putting the rear diff back together the main gear and umbrella gear is slightly binding on one side of the main gear. I have try taking shim out, flipping gear around other side on diff cup and checked the bearing. Still binding on the same side. I've taken a video

Do you think i could let it go and drive it? Maybe improve after a few runs?

Good video. Observant to notice that.
Backlash seems ever so slight. But is there. Remember that it is not even installed/mounted just yet. The 2 Yoke halves may just line up better once mounted onto the chassis. Rotation appears smooth enough in the video. And with some Grease, might just be fine. Run it that way and evaluate from there.
Sometimes good enough is just that, "good enough". These are not the most precision parts.
The gears just might bed-in fine, within a few packs, when all said and done. I tend to like my backlash on the tighter side, FWIW. But this can be subjective for so many.
My spin.

Last edited:
Good video. Observant to notice that.
Backlash seems ever so slight. But is there. Remember that it is not even installed/mounted just yet. The 2 Yoke halves may just line up better once mounted onto the chassis. Rotation appears smooth enough in the video. And with some Grease, might just be fine. Run it that way and evaluate from there.
Sometimes good enough is just that, "good enough". These are not the most precision parts.
The gears just might bed-in fine, within a few packs, when all said and done. I tend to like my backlash on the tighter side, FWIW. But this can be subjective for so many.
My spin.
I'll put it back together and just run it i guess. 🤞

I also did notice the main metal gear isn't machined very well look at the photo.

20240114_184112.jpg

Just an update. I have filed and used wet n dry paper and almost totally got rid of the binding. I can't believe a RTR car would have a issue like this, No quality control at all.

Arrma spend more on marketing than quality control. We, the end users, are the ones correcting their mistakes.

I would clean up the burrs, grease well and run it, didn't sound overly tight (better than too loose) and it's not going to get tighter as you run it. :)

Back