Outcast 4s Velo scratch build, LWB chassis (Old Yeller)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you should mention the longer screws in the wheelie bar. I wouldn’t have had any idea what you were talking about 2 days ago. As of yesterday however, I now have 4s v2 arms and surrounding parts on my LWB Granite. Took me a good bit to get the sway bars on and even longer to realize why the rear screws on that plate wouldn’t tighten up.

For my ‘thing,’ I’m looking at the 3668 2800kv motor off a losi bog hog with a spectrum 150 esc. Seems like that motor would do well with 3-4s, and occasionally 6s if I felt brave for a speed run. Thoughts?

I will also probably get the kraton 4s copperheads as they are way cheaper than the backflips. My 2.8 badlands are running well, but look small to me. I wonder if the fireteam tires would be more ‘drifty’ for you. They seem to be less knobby than other off-road tires…

Funny you should mention the longer screws in the wheelie bar. I wouldn’t have had any idea what you were talking about 2 days ago. As of yesterday however, I now have 4s v2 arms and surrounding parts on my LWB Granite. Took me a good bit to get the sway bars on and even longer to realize why the rear screws on that plate wouldn’t tighten up.

For my ‘thing,’ I’m looking at the 3668 2800kv motor off a losi bog hog with a spectrum 150 esc. Seems like that motor would do well with 3-4s, and occasionally 6s if I felt brave for a speed run. Thoughts?

I will also probably get the kraton 4s copperheads as they are way cheaper than the backflips. My 2.8 badlands are running well, but look small to me. I wonder if the fireteam tires would be more ‘drifty’ for you. They seem to be less knobby than other off-road tires…
Yes, the screws that retain the sway bar plate interfere with longer screws to secure the wheelie bar. I’m getting rid of the sway bar on old yellers rear end. I don’t notice any difference and it irritates the crap out of me how it was designed. I don’t have to worry about it on my 4s Vorteks, Thing, because I am using a wheelie bar and wing off the 4S OutKast. I love the way that is designed. Ultimately, I may put one of those on old yeller.

My cars are in pieces right now though and the shops a mess. This last surgery a month ago was brutal and I am not recovering quick. Three surgeries in six months is too much. We also had to go to Washington state for a week to check on my wife’s daughter while she’s visiting her father. Just got back yesterday and I am dead. It’s 104F out as well good grief. I’ll start working on the cars in another few weeks or so. Meanwhile I have my rocks to tumble. I brought back close to 20 pounds from Washington to play with 😂

That motor and ESC should work great. Honestly, I rarely run Thing on 4s. It’s a handful on 3s with the short wheelbase. Old Yeller is great on 4s though and I’m going make a few changes to it that should make it even better. I I prefer the backflip LPs. I’ve run them on both cars. The 4s copperheads do work good on old yeller though with its LWB chassis, and they are cheaper. I did not like them as much when I put them on Thing though. The 2.8 badlands definitely looks small. I tried them. The fire team tires are huge though and I think would be way too much. I’d love to find some thing between 2.8 badlands and backflip LPs…

IMG_8829.jpeg

IMG_9112.jpeg

IMG_9087.jpeg

IMG_8997.jpeg

IMG_8948.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn’t realize you had more surgeries to go through, that’s rough.

Once again I confused your car titles. I am running your old yellar build with 2.8 badlands. Raced a couple friends a 2 nights ago, and I really like how stable and completely unflippable it is now. I’m 2” wider than my friend’s wide maxx, and my other friend’s big rock is downright skinny looking.

Old Yeller is coming back together, albeit slowly. No worries, it’s still over 100f and I’m still trying to heal from the surgeries.

The 4s diff I got from Jenny’s and had put on the rear end was frozen, and this had caused the rear spur hub to strip out. Bummer. Once I took the diff apart I found that the small inside bearing had exploded and the bits had jammed into the gears, ruining them. This is why I normally replace that bearing with a TBR bearing, I’d just forgot with this one. So I did that as well as throw in new gears. Fortunately the ring and input gears were fine. I put the 4s diff (40k oil) up front and the cnc diff (20k oil), that I’d built nearly 2 years ago and is still perfect, in back.

I finally got rid of the rear sway bar so I could properly attach the wheelie bar with longer screws. I did not notice much difference with or without it anyway in the back. I will keep the front one on though. I rather like it and do notice a difference.

Bye bye servo saver. I ditched it and put on a solid link attached to a 35k Amazon special servo. I’m sure it won’t last but man, I hate the way it steers now. The 3s servo saver is not made for the big tires and heavier weight. I did have to use spacers and raise the servo a bit. The link is rather tall and dragged on the chassis. I also have an extra servo and extra large HD kimbrough I may modify and try when this fails.

Hole in the new chassis beneath the spur. It does work and reduces the need to open and clean the spur case. The M2C brace makes for a good stencil also.

Liquid gasket to seal the diff housing. I’ve experimented with this on a dozen 3/4s diffs and it really does help. It reduces the need to open and clean the diff as well. The grease stays wet and functional rather then gunking up in chunks and pressing between the gears.

I replaced all the composite balls with team associated metal balls. I also hooked it up to my new Radiolink rc4gs. I love that remote and have been using it with Thing. Now I’m learning how to use all the features and such. The 4s Kraton wheels I’d gotten off Jenny’s are still solid. The extra time taken with cleaning and replying the bead on both sides with rubberized CA glue when they were new has paid off. They only needed a good cleaning and quick reglue.

The 4s motor I’d gotten off Jenny’s is still running strong. I did put a bigger pinion on. Went from a 13t to a 15t. I’m hoping for a bit less off the line and bit more top end. The M2C motor mount and brace are still super solid, even after a couple years abuse. I love the way they lock into the bottom chassis brace also. With my aluminum TtoT brace the car feels very solid.

The 130a spectrum smart esc that I’d gotten from Jenny’s 2 years ago is still working great. In fact, all three I have are working great still. I’m sticking with the mismatched fan set up, where I have a high CFM 20x20x20, 12v fan that I run off a 3s battery when it’s hot, and a 30mm rocket fan that runs off the esc constantly. Both are secured with a Powerhobby mount.

Now I just need to rebuild the rear shocks and put some heavier oil in. Shouldn’t take me more than another week or so 😂

IMG_9197.jpeg

(Figure I’ll put this under the 4s Outcast since many of the parts came from that car off of jennys.)

Ever since I built up Old Yeller (typhon/big rock mutation) nearly a year back, I’ve wanted to further modify it into a full 4S car. The wider footprint and bigger tires are probably the two main driving factors. I want to fill that niche between my 3S cars and 6S cars.

Once the new Kraton and Outcast hit Jennys I bought all the parts needed. Before my surgery I tore down Old Yeller and cleaned up the parts I intended to use again. I am going with the big rock/typhon long wheel base chassis and many of the stock parts from the new 4s cars. I’ve got a spectrum 130amp esc and new 4S motor off Jenny‘s that I’ll start off with (I have an MM2 esc and 4068, 2650kv surpass to install later on). M2C motor mount/brace, Amazon special 35kg servo and kimbrough servo saver, alloy steering rack, outcast 4s metal spur and diff for the rear, older style CNC diff for the front. New 6s shocks off Jenny’s from a Kraton top it all off.

I’m not sure if the existing body mount holes will work. If not, I’ll just get the exact same body and redo it the same way since I love how it turned out. For tires I went with a set of 4s Copperhead 2s. I like the full-size copperheads on my Kraton so figured they would work for this build as well.

Here is old yeller in 3S form. It’ll probably take me several weeks to do this while I’m recovering from surgery… but it will keep me busy at least 😊

View attachment 248132
Looking forward to seeing the New old Yeller.
Good luck with your surgery!!
Heal well and fast. I know what your about to go threw. I've had s1-L1disc fusion and cervical disc 5,6, and 7 fused also.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the New old Yeller.
Good luck with your surgery!!
Heal well and fast. I know what your about to go threw. I've had s1-s2disc fusion and cervical disc 5,6, and 7 fused also.
Thanks! Already had them just healing slow. I had c2-7 fused in 2016 and t1-3 nerve damage and other crap not operable developed in 2018. These last 3 surgeries were for a spinal stimulator. Like a pace maker for the spinal column nervous system, it eases the constant pain. It should have just been 2 surgeries but it broke, so had to reinstall.

Thanks! Already had them just healing slow. I had c2-7 fused in 2016 and t1-3 nerve damage and other crap not operable developed in 2018. These last 3 surgeries were for a spinal stimulator. Like a pace maker for the spinal column nervous system, it eases the constant pain. It should have just been 2 surgeries but it broke, so had to reinstall.
I might have to get c2 -c4 fused as well, degenerative disc disease got those pretty good to. If my pain gets worse and more consistent I'll have to make a appointment. My insurance would not pay for the external test for spinal stimulator. I hope you find some peice of mind.
Nurve damage really sucks. Both my feet,they like to swell loose felling,toes won't bend but yet they hurt like he'll if I step on a electric cord. Right leg and arm have issues to.

Last edited:
I might have to get c2 -c4 fused as well, degenerative disc disease got those pretty good to. If my pain gets worse and more consistent I'll have to make a appointment. My insurance would not pay for the external test for spinal stimulator. I hope you find some peice of mind.

Nurve damage really sucks. Both my feet,they like to swell loose felling,toes won't bend but yet they hurt like he'll if I step on an electric cord. Right leg and arm have issues too.
I’ve been dealing with it since 2013. Beat the ever living crud out of my self for 40 years until my cervical spine displaced. That’s a bummer they won’t pay for the test. The spinal stimulator cuts up to 80% of the neuropathy pain much of the time. Reduces the severe pins and needles feeling, joint aching and sensitivity to temperatures. It allows me to function more or less. It was working great before it broke so I’m hoping to be feeling good again by years end. Maybe keep pushing your insurance company. Took over a year to get mine through and 12k out of pocket. Good luck bud, sorry to hear you’re going through this.

I’ve been dealing with it since 2013. Beat the ever living crud out of my self for 40 years until my cervical spine displaced. That’s a bummer they won’t pay for the test. The spinal stimulator cuts up to 80% of the neuropathy pain much of the time. Reduces the severe pins and needles feeling, joint aching and sensitivity to temperatures. It allows me to function more or less. It was working great before it broke so I’m hoping to be feeling good again by years end. Maybe keep pushing your insurance company. Took over a year to get mine through and 12k out of pocket. Good luck bud, sorry to hear you’re going through this.
Too many years of abusing my body in the name of FUN. And work didn't help much.
The humidity most of the time just sucks. 2 weeks ago was really bad nerve pain. Yesterday and today next to no nerve pain. When I think I have it figured out, everything changes? 😆😂🥲🤔😅😅
Too many years of abusing my body in the name of FUN. And work didn't help much.
The humidity most of the time just sucks. 2 weeks ago was really bad nerve pain. Yesterday and today next to no nerve pain. When I think I have it figured out, everything changes? 😆😂🥲🤔😅😅
Feel better and do your best to enjoy this weekend. May the weather help you. I really don't want another surgery and recovery . If it helps 😒

My biggest complaint when I built this car was the boat like handling. I wanted it to handle like my 3s cars do. I always had a feeling it was due to the 3s servo saver, it can’t handle the weight and big tires. Well, I was right. My wife and I braved the 97f heat and hit the park once the sun went down a bit ago. It handles freaking amazing now!! It’s what I’ve wanted all along in terms of handling. I also nailed the shock and other set up, so it was a blast to drive. Have some things to fine-tune but otherwise it’s great.

I figure the cheap 35kg servo will die before long. I have another one out of a 6s corally (Asuga XTR) I may try, or perhaps I’ll just throw in the $95, 60kg servo that’s in my 6s Kraton and put the corally servo in the Kraton. It handles so nice that I’ll do what I have to to keep it like this.

All I need to do now is paint the new body. I got the exact same one because it’s so damn durable. I’ll be able to cut it better this time, more appropriately for a 4s set up, but will keep the same or similar color and lay out. I don’t think I’ll flame Hydro dip the windows or bed though. I’ll put a really good Compass on the bed (yellow on black?) for this one and keep the windows black.

Man I’m happy with this little beastie! I’m finally feeling better also and was able to function well today. Even had my younger brother come over and help put in an above stove microwave and water filtration system. It’s nice being useful again, almost 😂

IMG_9201.jpeg

IMG_9202.jpeg

My biggest complaint when I built this car was the boat like handling. I wanted it to handle like my 3s cars do. I always had a feeling it was due to the 3s servo saver, it can’t handle the weight and big tires. Well, I was right. My wife and I braved the 97f heat and hit the park once the sun went down a bit ago. It handles freaking amazing now!! It’s what I’ve wanted all along in terms of handling. I also nailed the shock and other set up, so it was a blast to drive. Have some things to fine-tune but otherwise it’s great.

I figure the cheap 35kg servo will die before long. I have another one out of a 6s corally (Asuga XTR) I may try, or perhaps I’ll just throw in the $95, 60kg servo that’s in my 6s Kraton and put the corally servo in the Kraton. It handles so nice that I’ll do what I have to to keep it like this.

All I need to do now is paint the new body. I got the exact same one because it’s so damn durable. I’ll be able to cut it better this time, more appropriately for a 4s set up, but will keep the same or similar color and lay out. I don’t think I’ll flame Hydro dip the windows or bed though. I’ll put a really good Compass on the bed (yellow on black?) for this one and keep the windows black.

Man I’m happy with this little beastie! I’m finally feeling better also and was able to function well today. Even had my younger brother come over and help put in an above stove microwave and water filtration system. It’s nice being useful again, almost 😂

View attachment 314310

View attachment 314311
Nice,all the work paid off.
Good to hear your feeling better. Last 2 days I've felt really good.

Nice,all the work paid off.
Good to hear your feeling better. Last 2 days I've felt really good.
Yes, good days are not taken for granted! Hang tough man.

The servo is still working without the saver. I did notice that it would stick when it got to hot last summer. It’s fine in the cool weather. I figure the cheap servo will last a few more months, then I’ll get something quality in there. The handling is amazing without the saver.

The servo is still working without the saver. I did notice that it would stick when it got to hot last summer. It’s fine in the cool weather. I figure the cheap servo will last a few more months, then I’ll get something quality in there. The handling is amazing without the saver.
I did the losi lmt mod. Feels ton better

I did the losi lmt mod. Feels ton better
Tell me more about this? Assume you made one of those adjustable savers fit in that box?
Sweet. Same here with my K4s. No saver for over a year now. No issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back