Granite 4x4 BLX cutting off after 5 minutes. Thermal red light flashing. Not water proof enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armarookie43

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
So I ran my granite BLX 4x4 brushless on some water, not too much, cleaned it up and now this is happening. Sent an email to horizon Hobby already to see if they can help me out. Ah shucks. And I just finished rebuilding my shocks. And my Outcast 6s just blew a rear differential. It's not my week! Anybody else with something similar. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to get this thing wet again. I'm scared now.

So I ran my granite BLX 4x4 brushless on some water, not too much, cleaned it up and now this is happening. Sent an email to horizon Hobby already to see if they can help me out. Ah shucks. And I just finished rebuilding my shocks. And my Outcast 6s just blew a rear differential. It's not my week! Anybody else with something similar. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to get this thing wet again. I'm scared now.
Did you check the temps with a IR thermometer? I've had mine in some deep puddles, out in the rain, wet grass to the point of throwing spray off the wheels, in snow (and our city uses salt on the roads), and more. This has gotta be a fluke if it was only a little water. Unless you have a bearing that seized up, which could cause this if you're still running the stockers.

My Typhon 3S was fully submerged in a ditch for almost a minute and survived with just a little rust.

Did you check the temps with a IR thermometer? I've had mine in some deep puddles, out in the rain, wet grass to the point of throwing spray off the wheels, in snow (and our city uses salt on the roads), and more. This has gotta be a fluke if it was only a little water. Unless you have a bearing that seized up, which could cause this if you're still running the stockers.
I forgot to add that I washed the whole truck with a faucet that the water comes straight out with lots of pressure. And then I used some RC cleaner that it's meant mostly for nitro cars? The LHS told me that it would be OK to use on my electronic parts. I think that one of those two things might have messed something up. It didn't just get wet like I mentioned before. It's probably my fault honestly. Yeah and I am still running my stock bearings.
Yeah check with temp gun. Make sure esc fan is still turning.
Fan still working ok. How can it be hot after less than 5 minutes? This started happening right after my mistake.

All the components are actually "waterproof" and if you mentioned water anywhere in your email they are going to deny your warranty as water damage is not covered.

Blew the rear diff in my LC Racing EMB-TGH, blew the front diff in my LC Racing EMB-MT...............

Last edited:
I forgot to add that I washed the whole truck with a faucet that the water comes straight out with lots of pressure. And then I used some RC cleaner that it's meant mostly for nitro cars? The LHS told me that it would be OK to use on my electronic parts. I think that one of those two things might have messed something up. It didn't just get wet like I mentioned before. It's probably my fault honestly. Yeah and I am still running my stock bearings.

Fan still working ok. How can it be hot after less than 5 minutes? This started happening right after my mistake.

I wash my trucks with a fast nozzle on a hose but only after I remove batteries and allow it to cool. Spray with Simple Green, let it sit and then hose it down somewhat avoiding the electrics. The esc and motor and servo box all get plenty wet, I just kinda avoid em with direct spray. Then, I use lots and lots of compressed air from my cheap Harbor Freight air comp.. Usually four or more 5 gallon tanks full with the motor kicking on to refill. Also, some wd-40 (to displace water and keep rust in check) which gets everywhere and then more air. I never run it again that day. I let it dry and chill out for 24 hours or more and inspect the electrics before it gets power again.
I don't mean to get off-topic but cleaning (and running in wet) is something I don't think we should take for granted because it can cause trouble later. The hobby shop is correct but they often don't take time to explain the details and you did nothing wrong imo. To me, dry is most important and we can't see every bit of liquid left in crevices. This is why I wait overnight plus air and more air.
I agree with @slick2500 that it's probably best to tell them as little as possible to get warranty replacement. And I think it's best to call rather than write because they're on the spot so to speak. If you haven't called and unsatisfied with the email response you get, I'd call back and be diplomatic and gracious. They are well known for delivering on warranty claims.
I apologize if I've mentioned something you've already done and I don't assume anything other than you wishing to be back in action. I'm sure you know how to handle your business. These are just my thoughts and how I would deal with it. I've only had to warranty one single esc in my life and it was a redcat 80amp and they shipped it without question. Otherwise, I've loved every bit of the dependability of BLX Arrma electrics with six trucks. If I had to guess, you'll be back in action soon as long as you bought the truck new and have proof with receipt and date of purchase.
I usually avoid water when I'm powered up but this doesn't do you any good now to mention. There are ways to make more waterproof resistant that you can find here on the forum.
Again, sorry if I assume too much. Good luck. ??

Let me ask you one question, after you washed it what did you do with the truck?

Did you just put it away?

I'd put all the eggs in the basket on that the bearings are all rusty now.. siezed and scalding seats...possibly even the motor bearings depending on the pressure of the water..

But that's where I would put my money, bearings are smoked someplace or everywhere..
Oh and shim those diffs if you havnt already on the outcast, you wont regret it..(y)

I'd put all the eggs in the basket on that the bearings are all rusty now.. siezed and scalding seats...possibly even the motor bearings depending on the pressure of the water..

This guy nailed it.

Thanks for all the replies. I narrowed my problem to the ESC. Tried one from another Granite and it runs just fine. Also have the fast Eddies bearings with me now. I'll be replacing those too.
Let me ask you one question, after you washed it what did you do with the truck?

Did you just put it away?

But that's where I would put my money, bearings are smoked someplace or everywhere..
Oh and shim those diffs if you havnt already on the outcast, you wont regret it..(y)
I didn't put it away. I sprayed that stuff all over the truck that the LHS sold me. I think that might have been the culprit. I'm not using that stuff directly on my electronics again. I wiped everything off, but I don't have a compressor so that probably didn't help either. One of the reasons I never pressure wash the engine on my real cars. I'd rather see them a little dirty than not running. Oh well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back