800KV Motor Pinions always coming loose!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltyrc

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Heyo guys I’m in a bit of a dilemma here. Me and my dad both run 800kv Castle 2028 motors and no matter how much red loctite we put on our set screws they will always come loose. Is there any company that makes pinions with grub screws that are bigger than 2.0mm?

Thank you for your time.

Heyo guys I’m in a bit of a dilemma here. Me and my dad both run 800kv Castle 2028 motors and no matter how much red loctite we put on our set screws they will always come loose. Is there any company that makes pinions with grub screws that are bigger than 2.0mm?

Thank you for your time.
I had the same issues early on. I changed from blue to orange TL (orange is semi permanent) and don't have an issue now. Make sure you clean your grub and the threads on the pinion with parts cleaner. Also give at least 24hrs to cure. Good luck! (y)

I had a similar problem when I slapped a 2028 in my Typhon, I was using blue loctite mind you, I only managed to stop that happening with stud lock loctite, now I just have to blowtorch the grub to get it out.

I've encountered a whole new problem on my DBXL-E 2.0, the flat spot on the motor shaft is applying enough force to displace the end of the grub and loosen the pinion.
That cost me a pretty penny since it also meant I lost my brakes.

-Edit
To clarify, I would buy a full set of grubs to ensure you've got a grub long enough to fully engage all the threads on your pinion, that naturally gives the loctite more surface area to bite.

I had a similar problem when I slapped a 2028 in my Typhon, I was using blue loctite mind you, I only managed to stop that happening with stud lock loctite, now I just have to blowtorch the grub to get it out.

I've encountered a whole new problem on my DBXL-E 2.0, the flat spot on the motor shaft is applying enough force to displace the end of the grub and loosen the pinion.
That cost me a pretty penny since it also meant I lost my brakes.

-Edit
To clarify, I would buy a full set of grubs to ensure you've got a grub long enough to fully engage all the threads on your pinion, that naturally gives the loctite more surface area to bite.
I never considered getting longer grub screws themselves! Thank you for your input! I'll grab some stud lock loctite or Orange like Harriot said above.
I had the same issues early on. I changed from blue to orange TL (orange is semi permanent) and don't have an issue now. Make sure you clean your grub and the threads on the pinion with parts cleaner. Also give at least 24hrs to cure. Good luck! (y)
I'll continue cleaning everything with brake cleaner! Definitely going to grab some orange Loctite! Thank you for your input!

Thank you for your time.
What I personally do is use medium thread locker. Clean with brake clean and a wire wheel every time I take it off to make sure it’s clean, then when I’m ready I place the pinion gear on the shaft, I start with out the grub screw in it then put a few drops into the grub screw hole, spin the gear around the shaft to insure that it coated the shaft and pinion then add some to the grub screw and insert it. I am running a 800kv motor too and so far so good. I use this method on all my pinions and haven’t had a issue since. I always let it sit 24-48 hours before I even think about running it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back