Steering peg/post/not sure coming loose(?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Notorious
Hi everyone. I noticed some slop in the front steering (edit: on my Kraton 8s) and wanted to get rid of it prior to installing a new steering servo. I tightened up what I’m calling a post that connects to the linkage from the servo saver. I tightened this piece up snugly and ran it once and it’s backing out already. I did not put thread lock on, but think that’s my next move. I just worry about applying heat to that area if I can’t break it loose down the road.

Also, after doing this I cannot trim my steering. When I turn the knob on the handheld controller it’s not proportional to the movement inside the car. The servo makes a bit of a grunt noise and sometimes moves the steering, sometimes not. I’m not sure if this is related to me [over]tightening the post.

Advice appreciated.

IMG_9345.jpeg

Link to short video.

The squeaking may be NSFW 😂

Last edited:
Well you obviusly need to sort out that loose ball link at the Servo saver for sure. Maybe replace the Servo saver completely. An Upgrade one perhaps. I bet the whole Belcrank and even the 4 Pivot balls at the Hubs/uprights could be binding. Needs maintenance regularly. Clean and adjust the Pivot balls. The squeaking would drive me crazy. Needs to be adressed for sure. I have had bound up Pivot balls cause that same squeaking noise. Look closely, while the wheels are removed to do this.
A closer look throughout the whole steering is necessary. Not just at the SS. Probably another contributing factor going on there.

Good luck. :cool:

Last edited:
Well you obviusly need to sort out that loose link at the Servo saver for sure. Maybe replace the Servo saver completely. An Upgrade one perhaps. I bet the whole Belcrank and even the 4 Pivot balls at the Hubs/uprights could be binding. Needs maintenance regularly. The squeaking would drive me crazy. Needs to be adressed for sure.
A closer look throughout the whole steering is necessary. Not just at the SS. Probably another contributing factor going on there.
Well you obviusly need to sort out that loose ball link at the Servo saver for sure. Maybe replace the Servo saver completely. An Upgrade one perhaps. I bet the whole Belcrank and even the 4 Pivot balls at the Hubs/uprights could be binding. Needs maintenance regularly. Clean and adjust the Pivot balls. The squeaking would drive me crazy. Needs to be adressed for sure. I have had bound up Pivot balls cause that same squeaking noise. Look closely, while the wheels are removed to do this.

Good luck. :cool:
Thanks for the note. I’ll break down some of the steering tonight and see what I come up with. Regarding thread lock - advisable in that I use it in there?

So after taking the advice of SrC (thank you) I started to disassemble my front end linkage at lunch. Not only did an m4x43 decide to give up, but I did discover one of the pillow balls DOES bind at full lock. The steering seems asymmetrical as well. That is, the mechanism turns more to one side than the other, which is when the pivot ball bind occurs.

I’ll go through the rest later, buy a new screw, and hope I’m able to remove the slop.

If anyone is still out there, after making sure things are as secure/tight as possible I went ahead and adjusted my steering end points that cured the binding. However, I have a new problem.

The steering SUCKS now and barely moves the wheels without having the st rate turned all the way up. Which also turned AVC all the way on which I absolutely hate. I read the manual and it doesn’t seem like there’s a way to have little or no AVC on and power to steer turned all the way up.

I have a new 1/5th scale servo to put in, but I want to do it in the winter so I can drive the car now. I’m guessing with proper end points, a powerful servo, and AVC not being in the way this thing will turn nicely. Just feel stuck now with this AVC gahbageeee

Edit: I did bump the stock ESC’s BEC up to 8.4. Edit: I’ve accepted my fate. I need to upgrade the server sooner rather than later. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Are you using the old stock rtr servo? sorry I'm no help, I use a cheap 50$ servo from amazon thats been working great for over a year and I've never had steering problems. :eek:

Are you using the old stock rtr servo? sorry I'm no help, I use a cheap 50$ servo from amazon thats been working great for over a year and I've never had steering problems. :eek:
I got tired of hearing myself complain about the steering, so I yanked the stocker last night. Primal going in and turning AVC off off. Found a video from spektrum on how to disable so I’m pretty pumped.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back