A few mixed questions and LIPO batteries?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Kenobi

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon TLR
hi all, being new to rc car cells i am finding a few things perplexing, the biggest of all being weight (mass) of lipo batteries.

I am trying as hard as i can to keep weight down on my Typhon build and found a battery which gives me C rating, mah and the weight range in 4s, so all great there apart from the fact i cant find stock of these batteries in Australia all out everywhere on Performna racing 5500mah Hv 25.2v and 120 c shorty fitting the typhon tray so sweet as bro.

I have noted the effect of c rating on batteries and seems consitant with weight of the battery as does the increase in mah, naturally.

Now i am trying to find a HV 6s battery and things in 6s just do not add up, unfortunately Performa racing do not make 3s or 6s, so that just plain sucks as they hit my target spot on with 4s.

I was looking at 6s from spammers, the new advanced batteries, but holy hell seriously $300 Aud battery plus postage, dimensions are out of control on a 6800 cell and weight, like really are we strapping in nearly 1 kg just to run 6s?
To my mind weight is a major player, the Performa 4s is only 410g, @ 5500mah 120c, more than double the weight for 6s is just plain stupid, weight means available power,torque to the wheels, less load on drivetrain and motor and less current draw through the esc to move a heavier load.

Math is telling me i should be able to find around 6000mah 100c HV battery that weighs in at around 600-700grams, why are we pushing 1kg batteries around and paying a small fortune for them, i can buy a Castle 1717 for only $70 Aud more than supposedly the most advanced Battery going.

https://www.gens-ace-r-spam.de/gens...p-hardcase-61-lipo-battery-pack-with-ec5.html

The only available cell that comes in around $200 shipped that even comes close is the SMC

https://www.coast2coastrc.com.au/sm...-v2-22-2v-5200mah-120c-hardcase-traxxas-plug/

Is the above SMC the best we can do so far as performance and weight goes?? Please advise your best recommendation.

I have no problem paying for quality as with many things we get what we pay for. For some reason i don't like wires and balance leads hanging out of my cell, don't ask me why maybe in the year 2022 i simply expect better.

Am looking into 6s for the Typhon build, has anyone run a centre locked diff? such as below and what were your findings versus open centre or open with earplugs?

https://scorchedparts.co.uk/product...ront-rear-centre?_pos=11&_sid=2d14f3457&_ss=r

Has anyone found it necessary to run a heavier motor mount on 6s?

I am not looking into serious speed running just yet but the 1717 is on the cards at some point in the future, maybe limitless?? will see what the TLR can do as a test chassis first.

aprreciate some pointers from the folks who have the experience and willing to pass along.

Regards
B.

Welcome to the arrma forum, your definitely in the right place to get all the info your looking for. Definitely try the forums section on 6s typhons and search functions. There’s just tons of info for you.
As for batteries you do seem to get what you pay for at the upper end of the spectru, for speed running especially. I run a couple 6s zeee
DE08A23F-EFA7-421E-8E7B-43DA8C24B144.jpeg

Ouse a couple of cnhl 4s packs for running 8s on my limitless for speed running.
81C4311F-782E-4527-AC2D-014C4C344093.jpeg

And then I run miscellaneous 2s and 3s batteries like ovonic, cnhl, or zeee for other running, like bashing my kraton exb, or my tfl pursuit 33” deep v boat.

I run a center diff on my typhon 6s with earplugs, and a spool on my limitless.
some people do run a spool (locked center diff) on any of there speed rigs typhon included.

as for mot mounts a lot of us love the pps grub lock mount, I personally have 3 of them on my different rigs.

so good luck, and you should get lots of advice on this forum fo shoo 😂

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back