Adding Channels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kljin

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
I like to add a temp sensor and gps sensor on my receiver, but I don't have 2 channels available on my receiver.
Is there a way to expand this?

What's your transmitter setup? SR515 is 5-channel Spektrum DSMR & 2.4Ghz

Damn, spend $700 MSRP for a Tx and only have 4-chan capability on the Rx...

Does the R617FS work?

I can help. I use Futaba Tx/Rx combinations with sensors, both Castle Creations Telemetry and Futaba sensors. The sensors don't plug into the normal PWM channels 1-4, they go in the S.BUS2 port. What you need is an S.BUS hub. Since you're just hooking up two devices, you can just use a Y-harness (the hubs are just glorified splitters). If you need help setting them up, let me know. I'll be happy to share what I've learned along the way. :)
Damn, spend $700 MSRP for a Tx and only have 4-chan capability on the Rx...

Does the R617FS work?
I'm not certain if that one will work with the 7PXR but it wouldn't solve his problem in this case as the sensors get connected to the S.BUS port and not to normal control channels.

+1
Futaba telem sensors require discrete S-Bussing throughput on their Rx's. Specific ports. Sometimes the sensors can be dasiy chained. Motor RPM, temps, gps, Etc. Not sure how Futaba 7PX does that. Those Rx's are costly.:whistle:

+1
Futaba telem sensors require S-Bussing throughput on their Rx's. Specific ports. Sometimes the sensors can be dasiy chained. Motor RPM, temps, gps, Etc. Not sure how Futaba 7PX does that. Those Rx' are costly.:whistle:
i didnt know that .. good info !

+1
Futaba telem sensors require S-Bussing throughput on their Rx's. Specific ports. Sometimes the sensors can be dasiy chained. Motor RPM, temps, gps, Etc. Not sure how Futaba 7PX does that. Those Rx' are costly.:whistle:
Yeah, they're not cheap. Fortunately he already has one :) In this specific case, all he needs is a Y-harness to connect the two sensors to the S.BUS port. The rest is just configuration on the transmitter.

Yeah, they're not cheap. Fortunately he already has one :) In this specific case, all he needs is a Y-harness to connect the two sensors to the S.BUS port. The rest is just configuration on the transmitter.
so you can daisy chain sensors ? im guessing thats for sensors that share the same task , IE temp can be piggybacked , and proxy can be piggybacked , but not say a temp spliced into a prox ?

That 7Px is a nice radio I am sure.
All Futaba stuff is.

so you can daisy chain sensors ? im guessing thats for sensors that share the same task , IE temp can be piggybacked , and proxy can be piggybacked , but not say a temp spliced into a prox ?
No, you can't daisy chain them. They have a single plug that gets plugged into the S.BUS2 port. The receiver only has a single S.BUS2 port but it can be expanded with the use of S.BUS hubs which are just parallel splitters. I think S.BUS is capable of sending up to 32 data sets which is way more than you'll ever need. You can display a max of five at once on the home screen of the 7PXR/10PX so there's really no point in hooking up more than that.

This is a 3-port S.BUS hub:
1689368908186.png

This is a 6-port:
1689368971634.png

And this 18-port S.HUB is the largest one I've yet come across:
1689369044477.png

I only see something like this being of utility in giant custom made planes and the like.

So I installed the Castle 2025-1100 kv, castle XLX2, pinion gear 30T and i'm getting just 60mph....
What is going wrong?

I can help. I use Futaba Tx/Rx combinations with sensors, both Castle Creations Telemetry and Futaba sensors. The sensors don't plug into the normal PWM channels 1-4, they go in the S.BUS2 port. What you need is an S.BUS hub. Since you're just hooking up two devices, you can just use a Y-harness (the hubs are just glorified splitters). If you need help setting them up, let me know. I'll be happy to share what I've learned along the way. :)

I'm not certain if that one will work with the 7PXR but it wouldn't solve his problem in this case as the sensors get connected to the S.BUS port and not to normal control channels.
Do you know how to get the esc temp on the futaba working?

Im planning on using that sensor to monitor the motor temp but can I monitor the esc XLX2 without a sensor?

Im planning on using that sensor to monitor the motor temp but can I monitor the esc XLX2 without a sensor?
Unfortunately not. While the Castle Futaba telemetry link provides ESC temp readouts, the XLX2 is one where it does not work (the temp is all wrong and there's no indication that it will be fixed anytime soon...though they say they are working on it). If you want to monitor your ESC temp, you'd need a second SBS01TE but I don't think it's really worth the expense on the XLX2. It runs cooler than most other ESCs and you really have to work hard if you want to push it into thermal shutdown (not saying it can't be done, but it does take some effort). Monitoring your motor temps should be sufficient as it's going to hit thermal limits before the ESC does.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back