Kraton Am I the only one that's like meh?‍♂️

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like the xmaxx, too big for what I do and what I want to work on. I had a 1/5th scale. Ran an hour on a tank of fuel... $1300 in and I ran 4 tanks through it over the course of 2 years. Granted, was gas and a 2wd HPI Baja 5B SS, but still, the size was there and it just wasn't my cup of tea to wrench on or drive. Even shortened the chassis 2 inches (scorpion shorty chassis) and that made it more responsive, but still, the general mass of it and working on it wasn't pleasant.

For that matter, I don't care for the 6S kraton/talion either. Too long to fit in my truck bag and fit nicely in the space I have in my trunk when out bashing/wrenching in the field. They may handle better, but if they are a nuisance for me to haul and work on in the field... I won't drive it.

I was actually hoping the Maxx was a bit bigger than it is. I was hoping for a 6S revo 2.0 style diffs/axles sized maxx with normal upright shocks. That was a real let down for me.

Annnnd Kevin talbot already bent the top chassis brace.

? mint. I doubt the chassis itself is ruined though. I suspect an aftermarket T2T brace is an easy remedy.

Edit the chassis is destroyed I mean destroyed.

Last edited:
Watched all the videos, seen the reviews, went to thru the parts, and I'm like idk about this. Some parts will be in high demand, some cost a fortune ($99 diff, $26 for a bulkhead?). And it has a smaller motor than my Notorious 4685 vs. 4985. ?
I bet the 4685 is actually the same 4985 but the max 6 combo 4985 has fins on it and I think those are added to the size of the can. 4685 with 1.5mm fins = 4985. Could be wrong but thats what it appears to me - spektrum smart hobbywing max 6 combo with a kv tweak.

Edit: on the Arrma website its listed as a Spektrum 4985 as well, even though I am pretty sure it says 4685 on the box lmao.
3433.png

Last edited:
There are some general things to consider here:

- You first have to see it. You can't judge 1/5 scale rc's just from pics or vids. In real life these rigs are much bigger and more impressive.
- The bigger the car, the slower it looks
- In my opinion Arrma did a good job keeping the top speed low out of the box for beginner drivers. Otherwise people will get killed.

Everything else is just personal preference. There is no perfect RTR rc, you choose the rc that suits you best and drive it. After that you sell it or start adjusting it to your liking.

I also do have the meh feeling. It's an awesome car and if i see it, i want it. But in the end it doesn't suit me, i guess that's called experience.

I am watching at first run videos of xmaxx 8s and I am so sceptical about the Kraton 8s. I mean, for everyone who is saying that it's big and heavy I'd like to address the fact that is the same size of the xmaxx, but when you see xmaxx doing its stunts it looks like a 1/10 car, fast and crazy, wheelies backflips and frontflips out of the box. This one feels slow and heavy. When it jumps you see it reach the height fast and fall down even faster, making it look sluggish. I wait for a possible Outcast/Notorious 8s to see if it's more bashing friendly. And watch out for the bending issue, as it seems still present. It nose dives too. We will see, time will tell. For now I am happy with my Notorious 6s.

Annnnd Kevin talbot already bent the top chassis brace.

? mint. I doubt the chassis itself is ruined though. I suspect an aftermarket T2T brace is an easy remedy.
"Easy" for sure, cheap surely not. I can assume a $35 for front brace, a $35 for rear brace, a $40 for the center brace and you end up spending $110 more, for a non cheap RC. I find it stupid. But again, we will see how much of an issue the design is, in expert hands.

I love 1/5 scale, granted they are difficult to work on and can be lethal weapons. Here is the fastest Losi 5ive T 2.0 (not my video).
I am in the process of converting mine to brushless, so it's easier to run and set up

Ofc it can be judged.been there..When you go up in size, more then double the weight more then that, and ad 1mm on a stamped wet alu chassi, we all know from the 6s line, big troubble will be here.

I like the idea, i do. But when having so many issiues with the 6s line, making it more or less identical but just bigger and much heavier, bigger issiues will be here

Watched all the videos, seen the reviews, went to thru the parts, and I'm like idk about this. Some parts will be in high demand, some cost a fortune ($99 diff, $26 for a bulkhead?). And it has a smaller motor than my Notorious 4685 vs. 4985. ?
I agree was greeted by tons of vids on this on you tube but watched Kevin Talbots first and he loved it but didn’t notice that the centre brace had bent only after a couple of jumps. I’m still on the fence about this but £900 is a lot of money to spend when you know you are going to be looking at £300 plus on hop ups plus it’s v slow , why no bigger motor and why integrate the esc with the receiver , was expecting more to be honest.

I agree was greeted by tons of vids on this on you tube but watched Kevin Talbots first and he loved it but didn’t notice that the centre brace had bent only after a couple of jumps. I’m still on the fence about this but £900 is a lot of money to spend when you know you are going to be looking at £300 plus on hop ups plus it’s v slow , why no bigger motor and why integrate the esc with the receiver , was expecting more to be honest.
Actually it's not a lot of money when you compare it to other 1/5 scale trucks. I don't understand why people are comparing the cost to the 1/8 scale trucks. It's like comparing the cost of the 3s trucks to the 6s trucks.

As far as it being very slow, that's rectified with a $13 pinion change. Oh, not sure what you mean by integrated ESC and receiver. They are two separate pieces of equipment.

Ofc it can be judged.been there..When you go up in size, more then double the weight more then that, and ad 1mm on a stamped wet alu chassi, we all know from the 6s line, big troubble will be here.

I like the idea, i do. But when having so many issiues with the 6s line, making it more or less identical but just bigger and much heavier, bigger issiues will be here

I know I’ve always seen the issues in the 6s line, but I’ve been so used to seeing you defend it. Change of heart or just not as tight lipped these days given your change in direction? Asking honestly

I want to see a 1/5 8s OUTCAST NOW. I guess I really love MT vehicles more ?

It’s just not... fast enough for me. My Kraton 6s zips along when I want it to. This truck just looks slow and clunky in all the videos I’ve seen. Going to have to pass :(

I think the moral of the story is until you see it run, we're all guessing. It just hit the interwebs this morning.

Looks like he also bent the T2T brace (10:00). Kudos @RC DUDE81

That was what I wanted to see, someone gearing it up a bit, increasing the punch and letting her fly! That was some great footage. Really making me chomp at the bit for @Rich Duperbash to post up a video of him running it at his bmx area.

It's very strange hearing the lower drone of the lower KV motor and see that thing screaming along the dirt.

That was what I wanted to see, someone gearing it up a bit, increasing the punch and letting her fly! That was some great footage. Really making me chomp at the bit for @Rich Duperbash to post up a video of him running it at his bmx area.

It's very strange hearing the lower drone of the lower KV motor and see that thing screaming along the dirt.
And the sound of the whine under breaking too is sexy AF. I'm surprised it sounds so different than my Talion since I'm using the max6 combo. But it allures me.

Looks like he also bent the T2T brace (10:00). Kudos @RC DUDE81

He doesn't look like, he bent the brace AND the chassis plate. Pretty sure he will talk about that to M2C and there will be a chassis plate pretty soon. Shame that this one bent like the others.

But so far i haven't bent my 6s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back