Typhon Any of you have that poor RC you beat the crap out of, toss to the side dirty, and it never quits on you? For me, it’s the Typhon 6S.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgitalchaos

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
This poor thing has been in a lake, the ocean, covered in mud multiple times, at the track, skatepark, ran over by ATVs, chewed and chased by dogs, hit 101MPH, stepped on, rolled around in the sand, kicked, sat in the rain, ran in the snow, and put away dirty countless times. It refuses to quit on me and I can count on it 100% of the time. Only thing I do is lube the bearings with synthetic motor oil after a hose down at the car wash when I do clean it.

IMG_8610.jpeg

IMG_8616.png

IMG_8619.png

IMG_8620.jpeg

IMG_8621.jpeg

IMG_8622.png

IMG_8623.jpeg

IMG_8626.jpeg

IMG_8624.jpeg

IMG_8625.jpeg

This poor thing has been in a lake, the ocean, covered in mud multiple times, at the track, skatepark, ran over by ATVs, chewed and chased by dogs, hit 101MPH, stepped on, rolled around in the sand, kicked, sat in the rain, ran in the snow, and put away dirty countless times. It refuses to quit on me and I can count on it 100% of the time. Only thing I do is lube the bearings with synthetic motor oil after a hose down at the car wash when I do clean it.

View attachment 338528

View attachment 338529

View attachment 338530

View attachment 338531

View attachment 338532

View attachment 338533

View attachment 338534

View attachment 338535

View attachment 338536

View attachment 338537
That could be called child abuse as all my cars are my babys but it just goes to show how tuff these kids are :)

View attachment 338528

View attachment 338529

View attachment 338530

View attachment 338531

View attachment 338532

View attachment 338533

View attachment 338534

View attachment 338535

View attachment 338536

View attachment 338537

Sounds like you're describing the Terminator..

Nice. I always hose my rigs down, as we have a lot of sticky clay and salty beach sand to play on.

One question that's been bothering me, though.
That lubing of the bearings you've been talking about. How do you lube them? Do you just put some oil on the outside of the bearings while they are still in the rig, or do you disassemble and lube the inners?

Wicked, what oil exactly do you use?
I use Mobil 1 Full synthetic 5W30 and the occasional marine grease on the diff gears, though not very often at all.
Nice. I always hose my rigs down, as we have a lot of sticky clay and salty beach sand to play on.

One question that's been bothering me, though.
That lubing of the bearings you've been talking about. How do you lube them? Do you just put some oil on the outside of the bearings while they are still in the rig, or do you disassemble and lube the inners?
Super easy, I take off the wheels, drop or two of oil on the outer bearings (I use a plastic oil dropper with a needle point), inner hub bearings, at the drive cup bearings, both sides of diff, at the center drive cup bearings and the front CVDs and a drop on the servo saver (I installed bearings instead of the bushings). Then I run at slow to medium speed while rotating the Typhon on every axis I can think of. I should make a video. I’ve only had to replace one front motor bearing due to the force of sand and the strength of the motor.

Last edited:
I use Mobil 1 Full synthetic 5W30 and the occasional marine grease on the diff gears, though not very often at all.

Super easy, I take off the wheels, drop or two of oil on the outer bearings (I use a plastic oil dropper with a needle point), inner hub bearings, at the drive cup bearings, both sides of diff, at the center drive cup bearings and the front CVDs and a drop on the servo saver (I installed bearings instead of the bushings). Then I run at slow to medium speed while rotating the Typhon on every axis I can think of. I should make a video. I’ve only had to replace one front motor bearing due to the force of sand and the strength of the motor.
Do you use the needle point to inject oil behind the seal into the bearing, or do you just apply it on the outside?

Do you use the needle point to inject oil behind the seal into the bearing, or do you just apply it on the outside?

Back in the day we used to drill VERY small holes in the seal/shield and use a pin point dropper to get oil in. Used spray cleaner that way also.
That was common practice.
All the racers kept bearings sprayed clean to reduce friction as much as possible. Extremely light coats of very thin oil at most.

That is very impressive that your typhon just keeps going. I love it. I have 1 rc that is like that but not arrma yet. It's an awesome feeling to have absolutely no worries about running them.. to just know it will take it and send it 😁

Just a few drops on the outside, by spinning it, the oil goes into the seals. I used to pop the seals off about 15 years ago on a Hyper 7 PBS PCR edition, but after so many RCs I’ve owned, it has the same affect either way. Even on my old XMAXX, I oiled one side of the truck, while popping off the seals and using red and tacky on the other side. After running in mud and letting it sit for a few days (to test which worked better), the oiled bearings still ran, while the greased ones were all seized.
Back in the day we used to drill VERY small holes in the seal/shield and use a pin point dropper to get oil in. Used spray cleaner that way also.
That was common practice.
All the racers kept bearings sprayed clean to reduce friction as much as possible. Extremely light coats of very thin oil at most.

That is very impressive that your typhon just keeps going. I love it. I have 1 rc that is like that but not arrma yet. It's an awesome feeling to have absolutely no worries about running them.. to just know it will take it and send it 😁
I used to pop the seals off a long time ago, but learned that by running the RC for a little bit after applying oil, that the oils goes into the bearings anyways.

This Typhon is certainly my toughest. My XRT by the other company needs a ton of care to keep running. Which has been your “go to” RC?

This Typhon is certainly my toughest. My XRT by the other company needs a ton of care to keep running. Which has been your “go to” RC?

My go to basher like yours has been my slash 4x4. I feel like the big rock would die if I did some of the abuse I've put that slash through. It simply doesn't care what I do, I can't break it. Over the years I've sent and crashed that thing harder then any rc should be able to withstand and after 30 years in this hobby it simply baffles me.
I started having the thought- "well if I kill it, it's due time" and time after time it laughs at my attempts.
1 day I feel like its gonna get sent and tumble to dust all of a sudden.

Just a few drops on the outside, by spinning it, the oil goes into the seals. I used to pop the seals off about 15 years ago on a Hyper 7 PBS PCR edition, but after so many RCs I’ve owned, it has the same affect either way. Even on my old XMAXX, I oiled one side of the truck, while popping off the seals and using red and tacky on the other side. After running in mud and letting it sit for a few days (to test which worked better), the oiled bearings still ran, while the greased ones were all seized.

I used to pop the seals off a long time ago, but learned that by running the RC for a little bit after applying oil, that the oils goes into the bearings anyways.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
I have a bottle of sewing machine oil here that i use for my air pistol.
I even have military grade gun oil, but that looks as dirty as used motor oil. So i stuck to the sewing machine oil.
Will that work?
I tried dry lube and silicone spray on the outside of the bearings, but neither worked very well and i am really feeding bearings into the Mojaves.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
I have a bottle of sewing machine oil here that i use for my air pistol.
I even have military grade gun oil, but that looks as dirty as used motor oil. So i stuck to the sewing machine oil.
Will that work?
I tried dry lube and silicone spray on the outside of the bearings, but neither worked very well and i am really feeding bearings into the Mojaves.
Both of your oils should work, but the gun oil will work better if it’s synthetic gun oil. Just shake before using. The gun oil also has cleaning agents and rust inhibitors. I’ve used synthetic gun oil to free stuck bearings on used RCs I’ve bought. Works like a charm! Main reason I’m using motor oil instead of gun oil is that I have a lot of motor oil.

My go to basher like yours has been my slash 4x4. I feel like the big rock would die if I did some of the abuse I've put that slash through. It simply doesn't care what I do, I can't break it. Over the years I've sent and crashed that thing harder then any rc should be able to withstand and after 30 years in this hobby it simply baffles me.
I started having the thought- "well if I kill it, it's due time" and time after time it laughs at my attempts.
We started this hobby with a Slash Ultimate.
I upgraded it with some more aluminium parts, like a T2T brace and motor mount. Topped it off with a white Proline brute basher body.
Then another one with exactly the same upgrades.
They are tough. Only real weak points are the axels. Traxxas introduced the XO-1 axels that are thicker. But since the wheel nut threads aren't any thicker, they still break occasionally in side ways landings or crashed.
We then added two Mojaves. They are tough machines, but the diffs are butter compared to the Traxxas diffs. I keep shredding input and ring gears. It's so annoying that i have ordered a GPM gear set to try. I am hoping the bigger teeth will hold up better.

Haha! That’s awesome! I actually destroyed a slash with my Typhon 6S. Snapped the chassis right in half! Easy enough to work on and fix, it’s a diverse platform for sure. I’m not sure why this Typhon has endured so much, just like your slash. I guess some RCs are loyal to their owners despite the ill treatment!

We started this hobby with a Slash Ultimate.
I upgraded it with some more aluminium parts, like a T2T brace and motor mount. Topped it off with a white Proline brute basher body.
Then another one with exactly the same upgrades.
They are tough. Only real weak points are the axels. Traxxas introduced the XO-1 axels that are thicker. But since the wheel nut threads aren't any thicker, they still break occasionally in side ways landings or crashed.
We then added two Mojaves. They are tough machines, but the diffs are butter compared to the Traxxas diffs. I keep shredding input and ring gears. It's so annoying that i have ordered a GPM gear set to try. I am hoping the bigger teeth will hold up better.

Yes sir, the only thing I've managed to break on this truck in a few years is a front stub axle. Well that and a steering rod end cracked. Didnt even bend the tie rod though! That was on a ramp shaver at a stupid speed. Really bad tumble from about 20ft 🤣

Haha! That’s awesome! I actually destroyed a slash with my Typhon 6S. Snapped the chassis right in half! Easy enough to work on and fix, it’s a diverse platform for sure. I’m not sure why this Typhon has endured so much, just like your slash. I guess some RCs are loyal to their owners despite the ill treatment!

Mine started life as a reg hcg 12t. Lasted about 3mo and I threw a velineon 3s system in it. Plenty of go for what I do. I can't remember the gears anymore (besides I do know it's on a 50t spur) but it gps's at 54mph. No fan on the motor.
In the last year I found a lcg kit on Walmart's site for $35 and couldn't pass it up so I swapped it all to lcg now. I cannot tell a diff in handling at all 🤣
The hcg took the abuse a few years and so far the lcg is also.
Still running the stock wheel bearings and by this point they are absolutely toast but it sends the same as always so..... 1 day I might throw a jennys set in there 😅

Through it all this truck somehow still looks like newish. Hoping to find an Arrma that can fill it's shoes and retire the old girl to the shelf queen of hall of fame.

Yes sir, the only thing I've managed to break on this truck in a few years is a front stub axle. Well that and a steering rod end cracked. Didnt even bend the tie rod though! That was on a ramp shaver at a stupid speed. Really bad tumble from about 20ft 🤣

Mine started life as a reg hcg 12t. Lasted about 3mo and I threw a velineon 3s system in it. Plenty of go for what I do. I can't remember the gears anymore (besides I do know it's on a 50t spur) but it gps's at 54mph. No fan on the motor.
In the last year I found a lcg kit on Walmart's site for $35 and couldn't pass it up so I swapped it all to lcg now. I cannot tell a diff in handling at all 🤣
The hcg took the abuse a few years and so far the lcg is also.
Still running the stock wheel bearings and by this point they are absolutely toast but it sends the same as always so..... 1 day I might throw a jennys set in there 😅

Through it all this truck somehow still looks like newish. Hoping to find an Arrma that can fill it's shoes and retire the old girl to the shelf queen of hall of fame.
I like to hear stories like this! You can probably get a whole set of bearings for an inexpensive price at Jimsbearings.com. But if they still run, send it!

For me it's my FT Ironically, yet many others have breakage issues for some reason. I keep getting more and more abusive with it and it keeps going. Yet it has 99% stock parts , little if any upgrades at that. I go out with 3 packs and I always burn through all packs successfully. Looks like hell all dirty and all. But runs like a champ.
FWIW, I did completely rebuild it when new out the box, before running it . Because it was a complete mess from the factory. (n) HH had to warranty a good amount of $$ in parts for it.

Last edited:
For me it's my FT Ironically, yet many others have breakage issues for some reason. I keep getting more and more abusive with it and it keeps going. Yet it has 99% stock parts , little if any upgrades at that. I go out with 3 packs and I always burn through all packs successfully. Looks like hell all dirty and all. But runs like a champ.
FWIW, I did completely rebuild it when new out the box, before running it . Because it was a complete mess from the factory. (n) HH had to warranty a good amount of $$ in parts for it.

I believe same as you sometimes stock is best 😁

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back