Anyone interested in the new Redcat KAIJU MT 1/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any consensus as to what weight oil to use in the diffs? I know a few of you guys have tried out different weights, any feedback? I am going to clean and fill mine soon and am wondering.
I wouldn't go heavier than 100k in the center. Front and rear are really up to you. I'm going to try 30k front and 20k rear.

Is there any consensus as to what weight oil to use in the diffs? I know a few of you guys have tried out different weights, any feedback? I am going to clean and fill mine soon and am wondering.
I topped mine with 50k front 500k middle and 30k rear. Works for my Arrmas and on the Kaiju too. ?

I topped mine with 50k front 500k middle and 30k rear. Works for my Arrmas and on the Kaiju too. ?
I went 500k I'm the center and I think it's too much. It almost locks the small diff and I'm afraid that could lead to more stripped spur gears.

I went 500k I'm the center and I think it's too much. It almost locks the small diff and I'm afraid that could lead to more stripped spur gears.
Cool. I'll probably go to 250k next time. Thanks for the tip. I mixed mine with whatever it already had, so it's not all 500k.

I broke my rear tail lights. That's not what bothers me. What bothers me is that it burned the crap out of my finger when I touched the exposed wire coming from the ESC. OUCH. Don't touch that damn thing if that happens! I took these wire off completely. It's still hurting. It felt like I touched an Iron. It actually made a small hole on my freaking finger. Wow.
20200405_121608.jpg
20200405_121154.jpg

I broke my rear tail lights. That's not what bothers me. What bothers me is that it burned the crap out of my finger when I touched the exposed wire coming from the ESC. OUCH. Don't touch that damn thing if that happens! I took these wire off completely. It's still hurting. It felt like I touched an Iron. It actually made a small hole on my freaking finger. Wow. View attachment 73305View attachment 73303
It's a dangerous hobby! There's an old thread where you can post up your RC related injuries!

It's a dangerous hobby! There's an old thread where you can post up your RC related injuries!
I almost broke my hand trying to unplug my cheapo ebay battery connectors from my esc, I pulled really hard and hit my hand on the rear shock tower, it hurt like a mother fudger for like a week.

I almost broke my hand trying to unplug my cheapo ebay battery connectors from my esc, I pulled really hard and hit my hand on the rear shock tower, it hurt like a mother fudger for like a week.
I heard you can get really hurt if you buy a Traxxas. It will break your heart.

I heard you can get really hurt if you buy a Traxxas. It will break your heart.
Depends on the model really.

Mini E-Revo will empty your wallet faster than any Arrma on the market. Pretty sad once you realize you have over $500 in parts in a $250 rc car so it doesn't destroy itself on every run.

The 1/10 platforms both Arrma and Traxxas have basically the same issues, the Arrma is just cheaper, but in the end you will have about the same amount of money in replacement parts for both.

It really caught me by surprise. I've been shocked by real car batteries, but I forgot how powerful a 6s battery really is. Now to the Kaiju carnage at the small skate park today. I got a little cocky from last time so let's go : I Broke two front upper-right control arms, stripped the spur gear, broke one lower control arm in the front, broke a c hub in the front, bent the crap out of the right side steering link, broke part of the lower bumper again. And the weirdest one is that the front diff locked up completely and the outdrive cup broke in half too. I noticed that I forgot to put back the shim that goes on the ring gear side, so I don't know if that caused it. And I also bent a front dog bone. Yeah, so one of the Kaijus is still running because I had a few of these extra parts with me and I also stole from the other Kaiju to keep this carnage going. Personally I feel that I'm way worse off on 6s. I'll try the carnage on 4s next time ?
20200405_113854.jpg
20200405_120332.jpg

This has been the story of my Kaiju so far:

View attachment 72789

2 runs, 2 blown spurs. I have 4 of these wonders now. Time to send Redcat this pic so they can prioritize it. I can't even run it long enough to break it. The 6500mah 6s was very close to LVC though.
Yeah I didn't strip the plastic spur gear running on 4s, so I think that I'll stick to 4s until someone comes out with a metal one (hopefully one day).

It really caught me by surprise. I've been shocked by real car batteries, but I forgot how powerful a 6s battery really is. Now to the Kaiju carnage at the small skate park today. I got a little cocky from last time so let's go : I Broke two front upper-right control arms, stripped the spur gear, broke one lower control arm in the front, broke a c hub in the front, bent the crap out of the right side steering link, broke part of the lower bumper again. And the weirdest one is that the front diff locked up completely and the outdrive cup broke in half too. I noticed that I forgot to put back the shim that goes on the ring gear side, so I don't know if that caused it. And I also bent a front dog bone. Yeah, so one of the Kaijus is still running because I had a few of these extra parts with me and I also stole from the other Kaiju to keep this carnage going. Personally I feel that I'm way worse off on 6s. I'll try the carnage on 4s next time ?View attachment 73369View attachment 73370
RCs & concrete playgrounds . . .

Anyway about the shim, forgot it in my V1 Outcast once & locked up the front diff in seconds. Teeth skipping & chipping will do that pretty fast.

Mini E-Revo will empty your wallet faster than any Arrma
The full size one will do that too, which is why mine is still sitting in a corner :ROFLMAO:

Depends on the model really.

Mini E-Revo will empty your wallet faster than any Arrma on the market. Pretty sad once you realize you have over $500 in parts in a $250 rc car so it doesn't destroy itself on every run.

The 1/10 platforms both Arrma and Traxxas have basically the same issues, the Arrma is just cheaper, but in the end you will have about the same amount of money in replacement parts for both.
I can say with confidence that my Maxx 4s and Xmaxx 8s are very durable. Super expensive, but durable. Also my Trx4 sport is durable too. That wasn't that expensive TBH. Adding the lights was on that crawler ?

Anyway about the shim, forgot it in my V1 Outcast once & locked up the front diff in seconds. Teeth skipping & chipping will do that pretty fast.

The full size one will do that too, which is why mine is still sitting in a corner :ROFLMAO:
I don't have any chipped teeth on the teeth of the output drive or ring gear, but the differential is locked. I'll probably rebuild it and use one of the shims I have here for my Arrmas. They seem to be the same.
I'm going to torture my maxx 4s on that same concrete jungle tomorrow (hopefully) and see how much it can take with my horrible landings on concrete. From what I know and experienced, I think that it has a high possibility of driving away. We'll see.

Last edited:

The 2.0 is better than the og Revo, at least it doesn't eat driveshafts and diffs every pack.

The 2.0 is better than the og Revo, at least it doesn't eat driveshafts and diffs every pack.
I wrecked & rebuilt that POS at least once a year in the decade I had it. I got wild with my 2.0 & blew the rear diff internals. So it's been in that sorry state for months now. Too many other projects . . .

I wrecked & rebuilt that POS at least once a year in the decade I had it. I got wild with my 2.0 & blew the rear diff internals. So it's been in that sorry state for months now. Too many other projects . . .
I have you ever seen my 2wd Stampede, I'm pretty sure I stole the rear a arms off of it for 4Pede since I took this pic, it's looked basically like this since 2016 :ROFLMAO:
jjXAz2G.jpg

I have you ever seen my 2wd Stampede, I'm pretty sure I stole the rear a arms off of it for 4Pede since I took this pic, it's looked basically like this since 2016 :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 73378
1586124728227.png

I look back at pics like these & wonder what happened to those cars. Both are in pieces somewhere. I'll show this to the Kaiju & tell 'em to step it up :ROFLMAO:

I guess you can call this 'fighting HSP junk with ZD trash':

View attachment 72107

I found steel rod ends but they aren't cheap, so I mocked this up first to see if it'll actually work. Long RPM ends might work too since they are doubled up.
Since I also got tired of breaking upper control arms I also did something similar but I with these parts from Traxxas. I believe they are steering links, and the other part is just some hex screws. The hex screws were put through the front and I used a nut on the rear.(part numbers in the picture). I took the Kaiju out today to test it with those parts, it was doing OK, while jumping my small ramps and bad landings (you know the usual. No skatepark though), but before I knew it BAM, there goes another rear drive cup dammit. I was running it on 4s BTW. At least those links didn't break on the first jump. I jumped it like 6 times before the drive cup mess. I also put a piece of foam and gorilla tape between the front bumper and the shock tower to try to save the bumper.
20200406_125708.jpg
20200406_151927.jpg

Back