Armchair legal advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross_jsy

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Talion
Hi all

A bit of an odd one to turn to Arrma forum, but as a lot of you are US based, someone might be able to help.

As background, I co-own a business where we retail cannabis and nicotine vaporisers. We import a lot of our stock from the States.

We have several suppliers, and we placed a larger than usual order with one we have used for several years without issue (in excess of £40k/$50k).

The order didn't turn up, communication started getting worse and it eventually stopped. We ended up finding his wife on social media and messaging her (hoping it was something innocent like he was unwell). He then got back to us stating he had placed an onwards order with his supplier and the money has essentially been stolen from him.

He has promised he will do everything he can to return the funds, including taking out a personal loan, but we are at a point where communication has completely stopped.

If this was the UK, I would have some idea of what our next steps would be to try recover the funds. But given they are in the States, I have no idea.

They are based in Texas, with a Texas registered LLC. We have tried a bank charge back to no avail.

I imagine we are probably screwed, and he can hide behind the LLC and claim insolvency if push comes to shove, but if anyone on here has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all!

Ross

Hi all

A bit of an odd one to turn to Arrma forum, but as a lot of you are US based, someone might be able to help.

As background, I co-own a business where we retail cannabis and nicotine vaporisers. We import a lot of our stock from the States.

We have several suppliers, and we placed a larger than usual order with one we have used for several years without issue (in excess of £40k/$50k).

The order didn't turn up, communication started getting worse and it eventually stopped. We ended up finding his wife on social media and messaging her (hoping it was something innocent like he was unwell). He then got back to us stating he had placed an onwards order with his supplier and the money has essentially been stolen from him.

He has promised he will do everything he can to return the funds, including taking out a personal loan, but we are at a point where communication has completely stopped.

If this was the UK, I would have some idea of what our next steps would be to try recover the funds. But given they are in the States, I have no idea.

They are based in Texas, with a Texas registered LLC. We have tried a bank charge back to no avail.

I imagine we are probably screwed, and he can hide behind the LLC and claim insolvency if push comes to shove, but if anyone on here has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all!

Ross

Where in Texas?

Really - I am out of my wheelhouse with this....but that being said..

I would stop all communication attempts at this point with the company, and contact the Federal Trade Commission and/or the Texas State Attorney General.

Tex and I are about 1 hr away from them.

We could pay them a visit...

Stretching Johnny Pemberton GIF by Eternal Family

Like @HZRDOS stated. Contact the US FTC and The Texas State AG.
Here in the states Cannabis is very tightly regulated.
Being in Texas however, right close to the Border, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mex. Cartels have their hands in this industry right now. Especially in Tx.

Contact an attorney. The LLC is not a brick wall to hide behind while you are ripping people off. It may just be as simple as sending a nasty letter.
Locate one in Texas

Contact an attorney. The LLC is not a brick wall to hide behind while you are ripping people off. It may just be as simple as sending a nasty letter.
I was thinking similar.. I don't particularly like lawyers, but sometimes ya need em. Tough call.. could end up paying a lawyer for nothing, we know that's happened more than once..

What I spent on Atty's over my lifetime, I could have bought another house.... no a Mansion.:rolleyes: A necessary evil at times. Just part of American culture. Very letigious here. Be represented or be screwed, no matter how you sice it. Screwed either way.
Maybe some specific qualities are required to do so.

pulp fiction coffee GIF by The Good Films

FTC is for consumers isn't it? This is a B2B situation.

Definately lawyer up though
One business buying from another... One is still a consumer? right? IDK....

Last edited:
What I spent on Atty's over my lifetime, I could have bought another house.... no a Mansion.:rolleyes: A necessary evil at times. Just part of American culture. Very letigious here. Be represented or be screwed, no matter how you sice it. Screwed either way.

One business buying from another... One is still a consumer? right? IDK....
Yeah man.. thank goodness the only time I've needed an attorney was when I was to blame..traffic tickets.. so much worses when you need an attorney for someone elses mistakes or, more specifically, indiscretions..my bro went through that a few years back. Sucks.

Lawyers are definitely a double edge sword..

I needed to use a few , a couple of times throughout the years..
They do know the intricacies of laws -on whatever legalities- you happen need help with...

In one case I paid about $2,250 ,but didn't get the outcome I wanted..

In another case, I won over $85,000
But it took almost exactly two years to complete..
And, I felt I did most of the paperwork (regarding all the photos, bills etc)...

BUT, he did make some nasty phone calls and wrote some letters that needed to be written "with flair" to get the insurance companies to comply..

So it really depends on who you end up hiring...
And it's difficult to tell how good they are until after the fact..

Hi all

Cheers all!

Ross

I think I found your missing inventory....

https://cdllife.com/2023/agents-sei...na-from-big-rig-at-texas-border-crossing/?amp

I was in the PreLaw program in college. Then accepted to Toro Law School.
I decided I was too broke at that point to continue. I wanted to work, not get into more Gov't loan debts.
So I did some Paralegal work. It sucked. Doing all the work, knowing more than most the atty's. Found it to be a crappy field.
I met so many stupid atty's over the years. Have no clue. Most of them are just whores and ambulance chasers. Sharks. Its all a dog and pony show and having a BAR license to practice Law. The majority of atty's surprisingly make crap $$$. Barely 6 figures/year. Give or take.
I retired with that amount , working for NYC as a LEO. In my line of work I met so many Atty's and Judges. NYC Office counsel and all. Atty's are a dime a dozen. And like a box of chocolate. Its the luck of the draw that you get one who works with you. The fees they charge are pretty much all the same. I been through a 5+ year old divorce proceeding. I know. I tried so hard to divorce my spouse without an Atty. But she knew that she would make out better than I by going through the courts and atty's. Is what it is.
I am definitely in a better place now, however you slice it. Thank god.

I was in the PreLaw program in college. Then accepted to Toro Law School.
I decided I was too broke at that point to continue. I wanted to work, not get into more Gov't loan debts.
So I did some Paralegal work. It sucked. Doing all the work, knowing more than most the atty's. Found it to be a crappy field.

I have a cousin who went through law school - UT Austin
Finished and took two tries to past the BAR, finally passed.
Got in with a nice Law firm in Houston ,in a fancy building. He took me up there and showed me his cubicle area..
I can't recall what they specialize in.. but what ever it was...

After a year or so he quit.
🤯😲

I met so many stupid atty's over the years. Have no clue. Most of them are just whores and ambulance chasers. Sharks. Its all a dog and pony show and having a BAR license to practice Law. The majority of atty's surprisingly make crap $$$. Barely 6 figures/year. Give or take.

Yep.
I've met a few, they pull out attorney's fees out their asses and most folks don't know any better. Or are afraid to counter offer / negotiate.

I retired with that amount , working for NYC as a LEO. In my line of work I met so many Atty's and Judges. NYC Office counsel and all. Atty's are a dime a dozen. And like a box of chocolate. Its the luck of the draw that you get one who works with you. The fees they charge are pretty much all the same.

There are quite a few attorneys floating around...
Those sharks then to circle the pool when they smell flesh blood..

Trust your instincts, you can feel when your talking to a snakey person.

I been through a 5+ year old divorce proceeding. I know. I tried so hard to divorce my spouse without an Atty. But she knew that she would make out better than I by going through the courts and atty's. Is what it is.
I am definitely in a better place now, however you slice it. Thank god.

Sorry to hear about the divorce.
Not a fun thing to go through ,for sure. Especially when the other person is out to take you to the cleaners.

There was a major legal case that (that I was going to be on the jury pool for) occured here in Dallas regarding a wrongfully incarcerated person...
His wife gave up on him and wanted/asked for a divorce.

After years passed the city released him, apologized and was going to pay him some money$$$$

That Ex-wife lawyered up quick and wanted Her share...

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back