Arrma ESC heatsink improvement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco Antonio

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hi

My son is having a lot of fun with his Granite brushed 4x4. However, since he switched to LiPos, we've seen lots of thermal protection kicking in after some use. I know fans can be added to the ESC, but most fans I've seen pull between 0.6 and 1.5A from the battery. That's a lot of juice stolen from fun time... Has anyone tried to replace the stock heatsink for a bigger one?

Thanks

Hi

My son is having a lot of fun with his Granite brushed 4x4. However, since he switched to LiPos, we've seen lots of thermal protection kicking in after some use. I know fans can be added to the ESC, but most fans I've seen pull between 0.6 and 1.5A from the battery. That's a lot of juice stolen from fun time... Has anyone tried to replace the stock heatsink for a bigger one?

Thanks
I would definitely add a fan on top of the ESC. I don't own a Mega but I think a 30x30 fan should be fine (obviously the bigger the better), what fans have you looked into? Because they usually don't pull more than 0.5A. And this shouldn't influence your runtime at all, maybe a few seconds but I would rather have a little bit shorter run time than have to stop all the time or even worse a burnt ESC. I run a big 40x40 12V fan on my Infraction and that one pulls around 0.7A :)

Hi

Thanks
Yeah man don’t worry about an amp or 1.5 amps. It’ll cut 30 seconds off of your run at the absolute most, really it’s nothing.

The pictures say 0.65A ?
But as already said just go with a fan you won't regret it. If that one pulls to much amps for your liking, you can still get a less powerful one :)
This^ but for all intensive purposes, even the most powerful fans pull negligible amounts of current.

Edit: all intents and purposes ?

Last edited:
Great, thanks for all the advice. One last question, what about motor heatsink+fan solutions? The motor also gets very hot and there's no thermal shutdown for that guy.

Great, thanks for all the advice. One last question, what about motor heatsink+fan solutions? The motor also gets very hot and there's no thermal shutdown for that guy.
To be honest, brushed motors are so cheap it’s not worth investing money and buying a heatsink for one. Many just replace that motor with a traxxas titan 12 turn for better reliability. And by the time you replace it for the third time you’ll be ready for a brushless motor.

I have those exact fans. I can confirm they use 0.65A each (ran them on a seperate 2s lipo and did the math ?). They move a serious amount of air. They can be had cheaper if you look on Aliexpress or Banggood?.

Thanks! That's a good confirmation. And yes, I found it for 9 bucks on ali :D. ARe you running it out of the LiPo balance connector?

They probably do 1.5A on the advetised 8.4V. You will be running these at 7.2'ish. Again, no notable impact on battery life unless you have the truck standing around a lot for chitchat, but then you don't need fans to begin with.

This^ but for all intensive purposes, even the most powerful fans pull negligible amounts of current.
The phrase you’re attempting to use here is “for all intents and purposes” ???✌?

Thanks! That's a good confirmation. And yes, I found it for 9 bucks on ali :D. ARe you running it out of the LiPo balance connector?
I’m playing around with the electronics lately, so I tried it from receiver also. But I bought a separate lightweight 2s lipo (3000mah) because they are advertised as up to 8.45v and I wanted to see their power at 8.4v. @6v they are good but at 8.4v they are real good. FYI because I like a bit of overkill I bought 4 of those fans for the motor; even when it was 40C ?outside the motor stayed very cool. Since temp is dropping rapidly now I switched to the 50mm Hobbywing fans (2 of them) running from receiver. The Rocket fans and lipo are now in the spare parts bin and will be installed on the Mojave when it will be available in stores again ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back