Kraton Arrma kraton 8s Slow servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrmaK8

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a k8 rtr (stock servo), and I just changed my reciever and transmitter to the spektrum dx5c, and since then the servo is very slow and not strong. How can I fix this?

Better check your Steering settings at the radio , and also readjust the ST EPA. (done anytime you change a Servo or Radio set)
Otherwise I see No correlation between changing out a Tx and Rx affecting your servo response at all. :unsure:
If anything your ESC's BEC voltage setting would impact servo performance.
Before even upgrading your radio, was the servo fine enough for you?
Which stocker K 8s servo are you running?
You probably should have considered changing out the stocker servo for a better one first, before even considering a radio swap.
Just me.:cool:

Better check your Steering settings at the radio , and also readjust the ST EPA.
Otherwise I see No correlation between changing out a Tx and Rx affecting your servo response. :unsure:
If anything your ESC's BEC voltage setting would impact servo performance.
Before even upgrading your radio, was the servo fine enough for you?
Which stocker K 8s servo are you running?
You probably should have considered changing out the stocker servo for a better one first, before even considering a radio swap.
Just me.:cool:
I changed the radio because i got a new kraton 8s and replaced it, and therefore it has the dc5c. Steering rates are at 0, and BEC voltage is 7,4v (max) and the servo was perfect before. I also changed the esc, but i think i need to set the steering endpoints, and i don't know how to do that on the dx5c

Does the servo's poor performance appear undriveable and possibly even faulty????
That would not surprise me. Just some ideas. How I see it.
Contact HH and ask for a replacement Servo under the 2 year warranty. Just tell them your stocker servo bit the dust. And see how another stocker one compares to what you have. As one option.
Or buy a better true 1/5 scale upgrade servo, and not necessarily another Spektrum Brand servo. Spektrum ain't all that.
There are so many other better upgrade servos out there, for way less $$$.

Last edited:
Does the servo's poor performance appear undriveable and possibly even faulty????
That would not surprise me. Just some ideas. How I see it.
Nope, just a bit slow to my liking. It moves good when its off from the ground. But when it is placed on the ground it moves very slow

Honestly, it must have always been that way.
RTR servos always suck. Fact . No matter the brand. And the K8s is extremely heavy at 30+ pounds. Most guys swap them out first thing, if they don't do anything else. Good 1/5 scale servos get costly. Just part of the 1/5 parts $territory$.
Perhaps you are just over thinking its performance now, having that new Tx/Rx and all. And it was always lame from the start. Or possibly faulty now?
What is the max BEC Volts, your stocker 160 Firma ESC offers?
Is it 8.4v?? Have you double checked this. Break out your ESC manual and look.
I am not familiar with the Firma 160 in regards.
And if you inadvertently reset your ESC, you may have bumped down the BEC volts without even knowing??? Hence poor Servo performance.
Just some things to check first.

Last edited:
Honestly, it must have always been that way.
And you are just over thinking its performance now, having that new Tx/Rx and all.
What is the max BEC Volts, your stocker 160 Firma ESC offers?
Is it 8.4v?? Have you double checked this. Break out your ESC manual and look.
I am not familiar with the Firma 160 in regards.
And if you inadvertently reset your ESC, you may have bumped down the BEC volts without even knowing??? Hence poor Servo performance.
Just some things to check first.
Yes, the stock firma 160a is 8,4v, and the max5 has 7,4v as max BEC output. Its that too. But how does my other kraton 8s have such a good servo it has a spektrum large scale servo and its 3x better at 6v.

It all comes down to the sustained AMP output of the BEC, not just the volts. Compare the BEC Amp specs of the HW and Spektrum servos.
Also, the lower the BEC volts, you run. the less Amp overhead you generally require . FWIW
The Max 5 seems to be the better ESC overall. But I have no direct exper. with the Max5.
I have many other HW ESCs however.

The new EzRun Max 5 sensored G2 has 25 amp/ 8.4v max BEC now.

I know you don't have that one.
I was just giving you an example of BEC specs.
25 amp BEC is quite good.

I run a Power HD 65 that was $50 2 years ago, $65 now....... there are some faster out there, others more powerful, but it does just fine for me. Seems like you have the settings adjusted right...... just saying there are good servos out there that don't cost $300.

On another thread there was someone hesitating gettin 8S cause 'he would have to spend $400 on a good servo for it '........

Sure, you can, but......

you dont have to do this the sandlot GIF

Back