Senton ARRMA MEGA ESC Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesTech24

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I bought a Arrma Granite Voltage and bought a 5000mah 2S Lipo and changed the jumper and it would run about 10 minutes and the throttle stopped but would still turn. The ESC would blink red.Then you could turn the truck off and back on and it would run about 30 seconds and then the throttle would shut off again. The ESC would blink red. I put the stock NIMH battery back in and changed the jumper and it would run until battery died. I bought a Senton MEGA 4x4 and tried the LIPOS in it and it would only last 10 minutes. What can i do to resolve this?

Ovonic 2S Lipo 5500mah 50C. I am using a EC3 to Deans adapter. Could that be my problem?

As I mentioned in the thread I linked above, I use a harness to go from EC5 (on the battery) to EC3 (in the vehicle), and I've used a Deans to EC5 adapter in the past, then switched to EC5 on the battery... and I've never experienced a noticeable change to the runtime.

I assume you read through the thread... so there are probably a few things to try.

What is the battery voltage when you start, and what is the battery voltage when your ESC blinks red? What is the temperature you're running in? Cold temps will affect LiPo voltage and increase sag (as discussed in the linked thread).

I would also suggest you and @Lonely_Coconut compare notes... I'm wondering if there is an issue with the Mega ESC's causing LVC to kick in too early, but knowing the voltage when this happens will help answer that. I would also recommend you contact Horizon Hobby for support. They'll likely just send a new ESC, and I guess fingers crossed that it fixes the problem.

In the mean time, get a voltage alarm (like this https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Battery-Voltage-Checker-Alarm/dp/B00XQ91ECA), set it to 3.4V and switch your ESC over to NiMH mode. This will lower the cut-off voltage and let you get a longer run time. Make sure that you stop running when the voltage alarm goes off, because that is your indication that your LiPo is low (you don't want to let it drop below 3V ever!)

I have this exact same problem; Turning it off and back on would resolve it for a few minutes then back to nothing. Check your Slipper to make sure its tight, it comes awful loose straight out of the box; this causes the motor/esc to overheat quickly.

Tightening the slipper helped, but by then I pretty much burnt up the slipper clutch already, you can flip the slipper clutch plate thing around and you're good to go. Worth a look.

The 550 setup tends to generate a lot of heat; adding a passive heatsink to the motor helps, any 540/550 heatsink will work. Just don't get it too long that it covers the vent holes in the back.

Last edited:
I have this exact same problem; Turning it off and back on would resolve it for a few minutes then back to nothing. Check your Slipper to make sure its tight, it comes awful loose straight out of the box; this causes the motor/esc to overheat quickly.

Tightening the slipper helped, but by then I pretty much burnt up the slipper clutch already, you can flip the slipper clutch plate thing around and you're good to go. Worth a look.

The 550 setup tends to generate a lot of heat; adding a passive heatsink to the motor helps, any 540/550 heatsink will work. Just don't get it too long that it covers the vent holes in the back.
Im still new to this...what is the heat sink?
Im still new to this...what is the heat sink?
I see its a fan to help with cooling. Where does this plug in?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back