Senton ARRMA Senton MEGA mostly unresponsive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TotalNoob

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I’m new to the hobby and just recently got myself the ARRMA Mega Senton 4x4. I’ve had it for a couple months, and it only has at max 4 hours of runtime on it. It recently started acting up, and I’m at a loss as to what the problem is…
I’ve re-bound the controller and car 4 times now. It works for the first five seconds it’s connected then it starts giving me issues. Little to no steering, the throttle works sporadically. Sometimes it even turns or throttles without me giving input. I’ve tried this in multiple areas because I was worried about interference so that’s not it… I hate to think that I’ve already fried my ESC.
I went with this model, because it was touted as being strong and resilient.. ANY tips tricks and advice welcome, I’ve really enjoyed this hobby so far and just found a dirt track near me :(
Also, I was going to add a video but I’m not sure how.

Last edited:
Usually the Mega ESC's are like that. Bricked early on. Is what is. A pattern with these. Many threads here in regards.
Make sure you try a Tx/Rx rebind and setup the ESC/radio calibration as one last ditch effort.
Arrma will warranty it with a receipt for 2 years. Free.
I would upgrade to BLX instead. Lipo, charger, and all. Another stocker Mega ESC wil do the same again. Will cost you. Basically best to buy the 3s BLX from the start if you can. Because you are paying anyway now to upgrade to a durable ESC/motor. You are not alone.
BTW, 4 hours run time is actually alot more than you think. Conservatively that equals 16 packs/Runs. Average estimate, compared with how I drive.
Meaning you are probably due for Preventitive maintenance. Unless you have been wrenching alot regularly after use.
Consider checking both diffs, with 4 hours run time. Maybe clean out the motor lube it, and Power module if you haven't so far.

I like Brushed motors too. Mostly in my Crawlers.
I tried a ISDT ESC in my XXXT/ Losi brushed Truggy. Runs cool too. There are better brushed ESC's out there. But BLX may be better in the long run for bashing around.
This one below is 90 amps.(y) It is not just for Brushed Crawlers only. Any Brushed RC type. You just set it up for whatever type. The price is right. ISDT as a brand is no joke. Quality stuff, IMO. I have their Chargers and Discharger as well. If you are comfortable using your cell apps, you will like this ISDT BT ESC. ( Bluetooth)

https://www.amazon.com/ISDT-Electronic-Controller-Crawler-Waterproof/dp/B0BVYZMDPD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=SAJH88TIIC87&keywords=isdt+esc+90&qid=1698265092&sprefix=isdt+esc+90,aps,119&sr=8-2

You have some choices here. :cool:
If you were all good with Senton Mega Brushed power, then this might be a good inexpensive brushed ESC. Just understand that Brushed motors also wear out more often. Brushes normally wear out. You replace the motors, normally. A thing. There are always trade offs. Brushed motors need to be cleaned and lubed with oil often. Or expect to buy then more often.

Last edited:
Usually the Mega ESC's are like that. Bricked early on. Is what is. A pattern with these. Many threads here in regards.
Make sure you try a Tx/Rx rebind and setup the ESC/radio calibration as one last ditch effort.
Arrma will warranty it with a receipt for 2 years. Free.
I would upgrade to BLX instead. Lipo, charger, and all. Another stocker Mega ESC wil do the same again. Will cost you. Basically best to buy the 3s BLX from the start if you can. Because you are paying anyway now to upgrade to a durable ESC/motor. You are not alone.
BTW, 4 hours run time is actually alot more than you think. Conservatively that equals 16 packs/Runs. Average estimate, compared with how I drive.
Meaning you are probably due for Preventitive maintenance. Unless you have been wrenching alot regularly after use.
Consider checking both diffs, with 4 hours run time. Maybe clean out the motor lube it, and Power module if you haven't so far.

I like Brushed motors too. Mostly in my Crawlers.
I tried a ISDT ESC in my XXXT/ Losi brushed Truggy. Runs cool too. There are better brushed ESC's out there. But BLX may be better in the long run for bashing around.
This one below is 90 amps.(y) It is not just for Brushed Crawlers only. Any Brushed RC type. You just set it up for whatever type. The price is right.

https://www.amazon.com/ISDT-Electronic-Controller-Crawler-Waterproof/dp/B0BVYZMDPD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=SAJH88TIIC87&keywords=isdt+esc+90&qid=1698265092&sprefix=isdt+esc+90,aps,119&sr=8-2
When getting a new ESC what should I look for? I see a lot with fans but maybe those are just for bigger mods? I’m also trying to learn the technical side of it like what determines me needing a 60a 70a or 90a? I am going to be upgrading to a lipo, probably 2s-3s, would the 90A be efficient? Is there a specific formula I can use when figuring out all of this battery/motor/ESC size?

When getting a new ESC what should I look for? I see a lot with fans but maybe those are just for bigger mods? I’m also trying to learn the technical side of it like what determines me needing a 60a 70a or 90a? I am going to be upgrading to a lipo, probably 2s-3s, would the 90A be efficient? Is there a specific formula I can use when figuring out all of this battery/motor/ESC size?
Adding a link for the motor/esc combo I was considering as a cheap remedy
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WHCM3Y2

Time to go brushless/LiPo. If you’re gonna be a bear, BE A GRIZZLY!!! Or something like that. You can install a combo right into your rig, and it’s better in every conceivable way.

Brushless/LiPo offers:
More power
Longer battery life
More power
More reliability
More power
More power
More power
More power

Did I mention more power?

Time to go brushless/LiPo. If you’re gonna be a bear, BE A GRIZZLY!!! Or something like that. You can install a combo right into your rig, and it’s better in every conceivable way.

Brushless/LiPo offers:
More power
Longer battery life
More power
More reliability
More power
More power
More power
More power

Did I mention more power?
Would this be okay as a started motor/ESC?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WHCM3Y2
What others would you recommend? I don’t have a lot of money to spend but at the same time I don’t want to be in this situation again

Definitely sounds like a fried ESC. Surprised the ESC went out before that brushed motor took a dump.
Brushed motors are always shortlived.
Mega ESC's can and will crap out at anytime, and usually sooner than later.

Brushed motors are always shortlived.
Mega ESC's can and will crap out at anytime, and usually sooner than later.
Arrma's brushed motors especially. Back when I was a noob and owned a Senton Mega, I replaced the Arrma motor with a Titan 550 when it died. Everyone's experience is different, but for me, that Titan motor took much more abuse than the Arrma can. Members here were telling me to just go brushless, but I was terrified at the thought of such a task back then 🤣

Yeah the Titan 550 motor is actually a go-to brushed motor for many, I know. I even use TRX Crawler shocks on my Axial Crawlers. Way better. I also have a TRX-4.
I run Holmes Hobbies Rebuildable brushed motors in them . I can replace the brushes this way. I prefer brushed in my Crawlers only. BLX for all else.
The OP may just want to stay with Brushed, that's fine too. We all RC differently.
I suggested an inexpensive ISDT Brushed ESC, that I liked myself. $30.00. Another free stocker Mega ESC under warranty will just do the same again. Even though it is free for 2 years, you become a glutten for punishment at some point.:LOL:
HW also has a decent Brushed ESC .

Last edited:
What would have came in the 3S senton would be a Firma 100A https://www.spektrumrc.com/product/firma-100a-brushless-smart-esc-3s/SPMXSE1100.html here is a jennys link for it https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ess-blx100-esc-speed-control-granite-ar102711
And a 3200KV like this https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...tor-brushless-3200kv-spektrum-firma-ara4305v3

Does not mean you have to start with this just that this is what arrma thought was a good starting point.

Most motors to keep under 50k RPM fail points on 3S should be under 4000KV and is why I would not use the one you linked from amazon. Some want you to stay under 45k RPM and that is 4054KV on 3s. I would want to stay with a 36MM can.
As for ESC something that can run the motor you pick. More info needed like how many amp the motor want Max or constant. Shoot for and ESC that's got good head room over constant. Example BLX 150Amp ESC is paired with a 2050KV BLX motor that has a constant close to 80-85 amps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back