Typhon Arrma typhon mega brushless upgrade.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BLX100 ESC would work with most any brushless motor, so long as it is not a big 1/8 motor. And yes, it would be better than the Racerstar I linked.

For Max10 vs Max8, realize there are two different Max10 - the regular max10 - 100a, and the Max10SCT - 120a. Many of us think the BLX100 ESC is a Max10, and the BLX120 is a Max10SCT, both with Arrma programing.

One last thought on the motor - the motor shaft. Seems like a minor thing, but most 3650 will have a 1/8" (3.2mm) shaft, most 3660 will have a 5mm shaft. You mega has a 1/8 shaft, and most 48p pinions have the smaller 1/8" shaft. So if you get a 3660 motor, you will have a harder time finding a 5mm 48p pinion gear.

Last - motor size and batteries - if you go with a 3660 motor, your Nimh batteries will have trouble. Nimh really will not support big amp loads very well, which is why I was suggesting the 3650 size motor.
This together with @Cheapbastard post gives me a good map on how to proceed. I just have one last question between this esc and the one the @Cheapbastard suggested which one is best? Would I be able to use the 3650 motor with either?

Thanks to everyone who chipped in. I am amazed on how many people replied with such detailed post. I am a complete noob, but this lockdown has given me an itch for upgrades and I want to scratch it. What a great community. I will update once I buy an esc and the motor. I will most likely buy one of the esc that I mentioned here either the blx or the one the @Cheapbastard suggested. Thanks again

By keeping nimh battery upgrade only to 3650 motor (3000-3500kv) and max 60 amp esc. In this set-up the weak point is the battery. Since it is a typhon the tire are smaller than a Granite. No need to upgrade any other part with nimh battery.

This together with @Cheapbastard post gives me a good map on how to proceed. I just have one last question between this esc and the one the @Cheapbastard suggested which one is best? Would I be able to use the 3650 motor with either?

Thanks to everyone who chipped in. I am amazed on how many people replied with such detailed post. I am a complete noob, but this lockdown has given me an itch for upgrades and I want to scratch it. What a great community. I will update once I buy an esc and the motor. I will most likely buy one of the esc that I mentioned here either the blx or the one the @Cheapbastard suggested. Thanks again

I wouldn't get the BLX100 not right now anyway. There have been more than a few who have had issues with the BLX100 mainly early low voltage cutoff issues. It won't affect you now using nimh batteries but may if and when you move to lipos. The BLX100 is a 2-3s 100a esc and the one I suggested is a 2-4s 130a esc and the Hobbwing 120a escs are 2-4s as well. It's up to you but the one I suggested has more programming options as well. Also, either will work with the 3650 size motors.

To get the optimal performance I would highly suggest moving to lipos.

The BLX100 ESC would work with most any brushless motor, so long as it is not a big 1/8 motor. And yes, it would be better than the Racerstar I linked.

For Max10 vs Max8, realize there are two different Max10 - the regular max10 - 100a, and the Max10SCT - 120a. Many of us think the BLX100 ESC is a Max10, and the BLX120 is a Max10SCT, both with Arrma programing.

One last thought on the motor - the motor shaft. Seems like a minor thing, but most 3650 will have a 1/8" (3.2mm) shaft, most 3660 will have a 5mm shaft. You mega has a 1/8 shaft, and most 48p pinions have the smaller 1/8" shaft. So if you get a 3660 motor, you will have a harder time finding a 5mm 48p pinion gear.

Last - motor size and batteries - if you go with a 3660 motor, your Nimh batteries will have trouble. Nimh really will not support big amp loads very well, which is why I was suggesting the 3650 size motor.
Rw make loads of 5mm shaft pinions for 48dp, easy

If you can get a SC8, those were great, affordable ESC. 2s-4s capable, and lots were run in 1/8 buggies - on 4s with 1/8 size motors - as an affordable option. But, I don't think they are made anymore, they were replaced by the MAX10SCT.

Either the Max10SCT or the SC8 would be a much better ESC vs the Racerstar/GoolRC, by a long shot. I only suggested the cheap system because you posted concern about budget. If you can afford a HobbyWing ESC, then get one.

And any of these ESCs we are chatting about will run a 3650. Having too big of an ESC is not really a problem. :) You may have to swap plugs on the motor leads, but that is easy.

@Cheapbastard Sorry, this is going to be the last question regarding the esc as i will buy one of these two. You mention this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Ori...876810?hash=item4b74d8418a:g:Ko4AAOSw5PleRU0I you believe to be a rebrand of this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywin...113373&hash=item23a14d78e1:g:A0EAAOSwgc1ar8sx right? Will any of those fit straight into the Typhon (out of the box)? is there any difference between them, that you would recommend getting one or the other? I like the look of the team orion vortex.
Again many thanks to all those who have replied.

If you can get a SC8, those were great, affordable ESC. 2s-4s capable, and lots were run in 1/8 buggies - on 4s with 1/8 size motors - as an affordable option. But, I don't think they are made anymore, they were replaced by the MAX10SCT.

Either the Max10SCT or the SC8 would be a much better ESC vs the Racerstar/GoolRC, by a long shot. I only suggested the cheap system because you posted concern about budget. If you can afford a HobbyWing ESC, then get one.

And any of these ESCs we are chatting about will run a 3650. Having too big of an ESC is not really a problem. :) You may have to swap plugs on the motor leads, but that is easy.
Thanks. I will do just that. I have now narrowed it down to two esc (post above) i will get one of those depending on what advice i get. I wasnt sure what the 120 A vs 60 A means in the ESC but reading more it seems that it is always better to go for a higher one as you say. I am still learning the basics, there is a lot more to know that i thought. I have also started to look at a lipo charger, i will eventually go to a 2c or 3c. But the fact that they need careful handling is a bit worrisome, i am not the most careful person around...

When doing my brushless upgrade and using the cheapest combo I could find, I went with a 60 amp ESC. I find it sufficient for my RWD car and have found that some batteries that don't perform well on my BLX100 (cheap lipo with incorrect/inflated C rating) will do fine on the 60 amp ESC. I would imagine the lower amp draw may be better since you want to continue using NIMH batteries, for a while anyway.

Lipos come with a risk, however, when handled properly, this risk is minimal. It's good that you are aware and with a bit of research, you can make sure that your batteries are maintained properly.

@Cheapbastard Sorry, this is going to be the last question regarding the esc as i will buy one of these two. You mention this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Ori...876810?hash=item4b74d8418a:g:Ko4AAOSw5PleRU0I you believe to be a rebrand of this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywin...113373&hash=item23a14d78e1:g:A0EAAOSwgc1ar8sx right? Will any of those fit straight into the Typhon (out of the box)? is there any difference between them, that you would recommend getting one or the other? I like the look of the team orion vortex.
Again many thanks to all those who have replied.

I am not well versed on shipping in UK (I'm in the US) nor what may be available for shopping for people in the UK so I suggested the Orion through a quick search of brushless escs on eBay UK. I can suggest some things but they may or not ship to you or may have to be bought from China and you'll have to wait longer on shipping. I prefer when to buy things shipped from within the US even if I have to pay just a little bit more. If you get anything we suggest here for cheaper or bought more locally to you then go for it.

Looking at the specs and the programmable features of the two there's not much difference. The SC8 will come with a mounting bracket that will bolt right up onto the receiver box but depnding on the SC8 you get you may have to solder on all your connectors. I don't know if you how to solder or want to solder on all the connectors. The Orion won't come a mounting bracket but should already have the connectors already soldered on.

I am not well versed on shipping in UK (I'm in the US) nor what may be available for shopping for people in the UK so I suggested the Orion through a quick search of brushless escs on eBay UK. I can suggest some things but they may or not ship to you or may have to be bought from China and you'll have to wait longer on shipping. I prefer when to buy things shipped from within the US even if I have to pay just a little bit more. If you get anything we suggest here for cheaper or bought more locally to you then go for it.

Looking at the specs and the programmable features of the two there's not much difference. The SC8 will come with a mounting bracket that will bolt right up onto the receiver box but depnding on the SC8 you get you may have to solder on all your connectors. I don't know if you how to solder or want to solder on all the connectors. The Orion won't come a mounting bracket but should already have the connectors already soldered on.
Well, the plot thickens. I don’t have any soldering equipment at the moment. Is there a way to know if the connectors are soldered? That sucks, I guess I will get the Orion, unless you have a better sugestion. Do I need a programming card? And is the mounting bracket easier to source? I.e. is it esc dependent? I prefer to buy locally too.
thanks for the reply

Sorry i just noticed that the connector is different than those in the arrma BLX for the team orion vortex r8, but i can easily get an adapter right?

Well, the plot thickens. I don’t have any soldering equipment at the moment. Is there a way to know if the connectors are soldered? That sucks, I guess I will get the Orion, unless you have a better sugestion. Do I need a programming card? And is the mounting bracket easier to source? I.e. is it esc dependent? I prefer to buy locally too.
thanks for the reply

Hobbywing program card should work not 100% sure on that. Don't need one to program it, it will be easier though if you had one since it has a bunch of options you can change. Heres the manual https://www.dropbox.com/sh/52x3l4m06adu5u5/AAA6sgvsqef95w7Fprh4Jem3a?dl=0&preview=ORI65116.pdf. The mounting bracket is esc dependent and as far as I know, only comes if with an actual Hobbywing esc. The Orion will mount using the same bracket as the SC8 but won't come with it.

You can get an adapter from the deans (t-plug) to whatever battery you use but would try to avoid using adapters if possible. Go far enough into this hobby you are going to want to know how to solder if anything else just to make buying batteries and escs easier then using whatever connector you want.

I am trying to make it so you are not buying something twice. But really right now for your needs could get away with 60a esc 3650 motor combo like mentioned earlier. Like I said before also they will come with connectors already installed most likely with deans and batteries with deans connectors already soldered on are easier to find. Your needs and expectations may not be as great as others just if you get something with a 60a esc don't expect the combo to ever perform like the BLX. You can get more speed out of the combo compared to the brushed motors tough. I started with a 60a 3650 combo in my Mega Granite it ran fine but ended wanting more power also have a system that ran a little cooler then again wanted to use 3s lipos also.

Hobbywing program card should work not 100% sure on that. Don't need one to program it, it will be easier though if you had one since it has a bunch of options you can change. Heres the manual https://www.dropbox.com/sh/52x3l4m06adu5u5/AAA6sgvsqef95w7Fprh4Jem3a?dl=0&preview=ORI65116.pdf. The mounting bracket is esc dependent and as far as I know, only comes if with an actual Hobbywing esc. The Orion will mount using the same bracket as the SC8 but won't come with it.

You can get an adapter from the deans (t-plug) to whatever battery you use but would try to avoid using adapters if possible. Go far enough into this hobby you are going to want to know how to solder if anything else just to make buying batteries and escs easier then using whatever connector you want.

I am trying to make it so you are not buying something twice. But really right now for your needs could get away with 60a esc 3650 motor combo like mentioned earlier. Like I said before also they will come with connectors already installed most likely with deans and batteries with deans connectors already soldered on are easier to find. Your needs and expectations may not be as great as others just if you get something with a 60a esc don't expect the combo to ever perform like the BLX. You can get more speed out of the combo compared to the brushed motors tough. I started with a 60a 3650 combo in my Mega Granite it ran fine but ended wanting more power also have a system that ran a little cooler then again wanted to use 3s lipos also.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I understand I must sound like s complete noob and a pain, sorry dude. I really like that Orion esc, if getting the mount isn’t so difficult then that’s the one I will be going with. After reading deeper I think that the blx 100 might be easier for me (if the Orion doesn’t pan out) because of the ease of just plugging in no need to worry about solderin for now. You mentioned some problems but is that like widespread or just some here and there and is that just for the 100 version?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I understand I must sound like s complete noob and a pain, sorry dude. I really like that Orion esc, if getting the mount isn’t so difficult then that’s the one I will be going with. After reading deeper I think that the blx 100 might be easier for me (if the Orion doesn’t pan out) because of the ease of just plugging in no need to worry about solderin for now. You mentioned some problems but is that like widespread or just some here and there and is that just for the 100 version?

The brushed esc on the Mega has an IC3 (EC3 compatible) connector. The BLX100 has an IC5 (EC5 compatible) connector. If your batteries have an EC3 (IC3) connector you would still need an adapter for the BLX100 esc. What connector do your batteries have now?

Just check other threads on the forum (mainly in the 4x4 section) about BLX100 esc issues.

The brushed esc on the Mega has an IC3 (EC3 compatible) connector. The BLX100 has an IC5 (EC5 compatible) connector. If your batteries have an EC3 (IC3) connector you would still need an adapter for the BLX100 esc. What connector do your batteries have now?

Just check other threads on the forum (mainly in the 4x4 section) about BLX100 esc issues.
Yeah the blx 100 problems seem to be quite widespread. Is the blx85 any good? Would using double sided sticky tape to mount the Orion esc be enough? Or it must be bolted down? I can’t seem to find the sc8 mount separately in the uk

Yeah the blx 100 problems seem to be quite widespread. Is the blx85 any good? Would using double sided sticky tape to mount the Orion esc be enough? Or it must be bolted down? I can’t seem to find the sc8 mount separately in the uk
The BLX185 seems to be plagued too. ??‍♂️

The newer BLX185 escs no longer have a setting for nimh batteries and are 3s-6s lipos only. I use Gorilla double sided tape holds well enough for me just make sure both surfaces are flat and clean when you put the tape on if Gorilla tape doesn't hold I use E6000 adhesive. The mount isn't sold separately it only comes with the Hobbywing escs (SC8, MAX10 SCT).

The newer BLX185 escs no longer have a setting for nimh batteries and are 3s-6s lipos only. I use Gorilla double sided tape holds well enough for me just make sure both surfaces are flat and clean when you put the tape on if Gorilla tape doesn't hold I use E6000 adhesive. The mount isn't sold separately it only comes with the Hobbywing escs (SC8, MAX10 SCT).
Thanks dude. I been reading more, i guess almost everyone uses the double sided tape or something similar to place the esc. I never imagined that to be the case. I assumed you needed an esc mount for it to be durable, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
The BLX185 seems to be plagued too. ??‍♂️
Geez. is it just recent BLx100 and BLX 185? or almost all?

Thanks dude. I been reading more, i guess almost everyone uses the double sided tape or something similar to place the esc. I never imagined that to be the case. I assumed you needed an esc mount for it to be durable, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Geez. is it just recent BLx100 and BLX 185? or almost all?
Seems just the BLX100 and BLX185 so far

Hi.
Just letting you guys know of what i am doing.
First, i found a used BLX 100 for a good price which the seller said it was working. I will eventually get a MAX 10SCT or a SC8 when this lockdown ends and i have access to my soldering iron at work. By this time i will probably move to Lipo too, hopefully the BLX100 will still work. Regardless the seller said it as working with Lipo as he tested it briefly. I will be using NiMh for now regardless. i will also be getting some 5000mah batteries as well.
I am buying a 3650 surpass motor 3100kv from banggood. I will also buy the Hd gears and the Aluminium motor mount.
Thanks for all the suggestions particularly @Cheapbastard and @Jerry-rigged. i know i most likely committed a cardinal sin by getting the BLX100, but it was a good price and i will be using the NIMH battery. i will follow suit and get a Hobbywing esc if this one fails anyway by the time i get to lipos.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back