Arrma Kraton 4S vs Traxxas Maxx

Arrma Kraton 4S or Traxxas Maxx

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the Kaiju is the same as the TA MT8. Overseas I believe it’s team majic or something. Had my fair share of bad Redcat experiences. Over time I learn….no Redcat and no tequila. Only bad things happen after each.
streaking will ferrell GIF
will ferrell frank the tank GIF
Yes, MT8 is similar, though it uses an aluminum chassis, it's the shorter wheelbase truck. I'd like to own one but, already having the Kaiju, nah. Plus the Kaiju has better electronics I believe. Both are HW rebrands, but the Reedy version is locked out from adjustments. I hear the MT8 handles better than the Kaiju, but I never drove one. Both are HCG MT's so, not sure how much it matters.

Yes, MT8 is similar, though it uses an aluminum chassis, it's the shorter wheelbase truck. I'd like to own one but, already having the Kaiju, nh. Plus the Kaiju has better electronics I believe. Both are HW rebrands, but the Reedy version is locked out from adjustments. I hear it handles better than the Kaiju, but I never drove one.
PLEEEASE stay away from those Reedy electronics. Absolutely no adjustability whatsoever...I learned this the hard way. And don't get me started on the motor, I was running one in an ECX Torment and the flimsy 3mm motor shaft completely snapped off on 2S power :mad:

I know the thread is about what is better between the Kraton 4s & Maxx, but its a toss up between those 2 to me. Personally I'd rather run a Notorious on 4s with Backflip LPs. Its very close to the Kraton 4s specs, 1" shorter wheel base, 1/2" wider track and about a pound heavier once you put the Backflip LPs on. Of course where/how you plan to drive it matters, for my situation I don't see much reason for a K4S or Maxx over the Notorious.

I have a Maxx that can do 6s. It’s a beast and is durable. I would not buy an Arrma 4s, what with their chassis issues.
Oh boy, I bet it's virtually undrivable on 6s. V1 or 2? My brother dropped a Max8 G2 2500kv combo into his v1 Maxx. 4s is bonkers, never even bothered trying 6s, LOL.

I would get a RC that can do 6s if possible, can always use 4s in it.
When I consider something non 6s or more its because I need a smaller size RC for a smaller place to run.

Oh boy, I bet it's virtually undrivable on 6s. V1 or 2? My brother dropped a Max8 G2 2500kv combo into his v1 Maxx. 4s is bonkers, never even bothered trying 6s, LOL.
It's controllable on 6s, but it's a handful. Mine is a V1 with a WideMaxx kit, Max8 ESC, and Traxxas 2200kv motor from a UDR. I mostly run 4s, with an occasional run on 6s.

i own a maxx and its def durable. so if your bashing and doing a lot of jumping i would say maxx. Ive seen too many broken chassis on the kraton 4s from the little time ive spent here. I woudnt buy new though. Your going to want the metal drive shafts and thats 100 bills so your at 700 brand new. way to much money for a 4s vehicle .

PLEEEASE stay away from those Reedy electronics. Absolutely no adjustability whatsoever...I learned this the hard way. And don't get me started on the motor, I was running one in an ECX Torment and the flimsy 3mm motor shaft completely snapped off on 2S power :mad:

MT8 electronics are adjustable IIRC.

If the Reedy ESC in the MT8 is anything like it's brother found in the MT10, it's not adjustable at all. It's a butchered & severely neutered Hobbywing. @slick2500 and I went on a small rant a while back about the lack of adjustability in those things. The Reedy Blackbox ESCs are tunable, but not their Hobbywing rebranded ESCs.

If the Reedy ESC in the MT8 is anything like it's brother found in the MT10, it's not adjustable at all. It's a butchered & severely neutered Hobbywing. @slick2500 and I went on a small rant a while back about the lack of adjustability in those things. The Reedy Blackbox ESCs are tunable, but not their Hobbywing rebranded ESCs.

All Reedy rtr escs only have throttle calibration. The SC1500BL says that you can run it on NIMH batteries but there are no directions in the manual for disabling or enabling LVC. https://img2.associatedelectrics.co...ed/27014_Reedy_ESC_SC1500BL_Manual_OnLine.pdf

I believe the Kaiju is the same as the TA MT8. Overseas I believe it’s team majic or something. Had my fair share of bad Redcat experiences. Over time I learn….no Redcat and no tequila. Only bad things happen after each.
streaking will ferrell GIF
will ferrell frank the tank GIF

Team Magic made the Redcat MT8E and MT10E. I do not know who makes the Kaiju, MT10, SC10 Pro 4 or the MT8 but they are all made by the same Chinese OEM.

All Reedy rtr escs only have throttle calibration. The SC1500BL says that you can run it on NIMH batteries but there are no directions in the manual for disabling or enabling LVC. https://img2.associatedelectrics.co...ed/27014_Reedy_ESC_SC1500BL_Manual_OnLine.pdf

I'm literally the guy that told the world that the MT10 ESC is not programmable. But the MT8 is programmable with a Hobbywing card. Never tried doing it with the beeps and lights method though, I will admit that.

I'm literally the guy that told the world that the MT10 ESC is not programmable. But the MT8 is programmable with a Hobbywing card. Never tried doing it with the beeps and lights method though, I will admit that.

Does it come with a 8BL150 rtr or the Reedy?

Does it come with a 8BL150 rtr or the Reedy?

Reedy --

"The all-new Reedy SC1500-BL brushless ESC is water-resistant for maximum durability. Its robust design installs in most 1:8 buggies, truggies, monster trucks, and short course trucks. When paired with a Reedy 680-SL4 brushless motor, a potent combination of power and efficiency is created, resulting in quick acceleration, high top speeds, generous run times, and more fun!

This powerful, wheelie-inducing ESC with the #27468 680-SL4 2100kV Sensorless Brushless Motor comes standard in Team Associated's MT8 monster truck, but the combination is suitable for a variety of vehicles where ultimate power output is desired."

Reedy --

"The all-new Reedy SC1500-BL brushless ESC is water-resistant for maximum durability. Its robust design installs in most 1:8 buggies, truggies, monster trucks, and short course trucks. When paired with a Reedy 680-SL4 brushless motor, a potent combination of power and efficiency is created, resulting in quick acceleration, high top speeds, generous run times, and more fun!

This powerful, wheelie-inducing ESC with the #27468 680-SL4 2100kV Sensorless Brushless Motor comes standard in Team Associated's MT8 monster truck, but the combination is suitable for a variety of vehicles where ultimate power output is desired."
Huh weird that they don't have the programming chart anywhere in the esc manual. I skimmed over the user manual for the truck and didn't notice any mention in there unless I missed it.

Huh weird that they don't have the programming chart anywhere in the esc manual. I skimmed over the user manual for the truck and didn't notice any mention in there unless I missed it.

It’s not listed. It’s an undocumented feature, so Reedy isn’t that keen on people making changes, but at least it’s an improvement over the MT10 ESC.

It’s not listed. It’s an undocumented feature, so Reedy isn’t that keen on people making changes, but at least it’s an improvement over the MT10 ESC.
That's pretty interesting. Definitely good information to know.

Back