Arrma Kraton 4S vs Traxxas Maxx

Arrma Kraton 4S or Traxxas Maxx

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty interesting. Definitely good information to know.
I looked at the Reedy MT8 esc manual as well yesterday, no mention of adjustments. If @razorrc has done it, then I believe the manual is wrong. No suprise. Good to know it is adjustable even if only partially, which is true for all the WP-8BL150 rebrands.. there's only 5 adjustable parameters in the rebrands as far as I know. Fair enough. Still a great unit for an rtr, better than a vxl IMO.

I looked at the Reedy MT8 esc manual as well yesterday, no mention of adjustments. If @razorrc has done it, then I believe the manual is wrong. No suprise. Good to know it is adjustable even if only partially, which is true for all the WP-8BL150 rebrands.. there's only 5 adjustable parameters in the rebrands as far as I know. Fair enough. Still a great unit for an rtr, better than a vxl IMO.
I wish I would've known about the adjustability. I've passed on quite of the few of those ESCs on ebay that were priced VERY good only b/c I thought you couldn't adjust them. Well, at least I know now...🤷‍♂️

I wish I would've known about the adjustability. I've passed on quite of the few of those ESCs on ebay that were priced VERY good only b/c I thought you couldn't adjust them. Well, at least I know now...🤷‍♂️
Hey, if they turn out to be non-adjustable, it's @razorrc fault!! 😉😂
JK of course, but now that the G2 HW WP-8BL150 is out, with 7.4v BEC, not sure what a partially locked G1 rtr is worth? $50?

If you're selling your Kraton 4S, then... what exactly is the point of this poll? You want confirmation that you either screwed up or made a good decision?

I have been a member of this forum for years and learned a lot here also respect the opinions of others. Big fan of Arrma I bought the original Granite BLX, the original Green Kraton, the original Outcast…

I set out to get a really good Basher for the kids and actually after watching your videos it leaned me towards the Kraton 4S v2.5. I previously had the Outcast 4S 2.0 and it was great I really only broke the wing. Had high expectations for the Kraton 4S too so I was wondering the opinions of others and their experience with it. The Maxx has been our best Basher. Also judging by the replies and the experience of others I think the Maxx did quite well up against the Kraton.

I bought a Kaiju when the Kraton broke and it’s funny how many others jumped on the Kaiju conversation within the Kraton 4S vs Maxx thread. I have broke the upper links like crazy on the Kaiju so once again after watching your videos I recently did the Tekno link mod on the front and the other two links should be here today or tomorrow to fix the rears.

My end goal is to find the toughest Basher for the kids. Should I give the Kraton 4S another try? Should I buy a Maxx? Will the Kaiju out perform them both?

IMG_7288.jpeg

IMG_7287.jpeg

IMG_7286.jpeg

Ohh yeah on a side note…

I’m still in search for the best Basher. My kids will put this to the test when it gets here.

Dropping an old Hobbywing Max 10 and EZRun 3660 3800KV in it. 👍👍

Attachments

• IMG_7289.jpeg
    IMG_7289.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 19
My end goal is to find the toughest Basher for the kids
All of these trucks use the same basic designs. And when there’s a hard landing, something has to break. There’s no getting around that.

You’ve already tried the toughest bashers available IMO. So at this point, your only options are to drive them differently or accept the idea that they will break.

I have been a member of this forum for years and learned a lot here also respect the opinions of others. Big fan of Arrma I bought the original Granite BLX, the original Green Kraton, the original Outcast…

I set out to get a really good Basher for the kids and actually after watching your videos it leaned me towards the Kraton 4S v2.5. I previously had the Outcast 4S 2.0 and it was great I really only broke the wing. Had high expectations for the Kraton 4S too so I was wondering the opinions of others and their experience with it. The Maxx has been our best Basher. Also judging by the replies and the experience of others I think the Maxx did quite well up against the Kraton.

I bought a Kaiju when the Kraton broke and it’s funny how many others jumped on the Kaiju conversation within the Kraton 4S vs Maxx thread. I have broke the upper links like crazy on the Kaiju so once again after watching your videos I recently did the Tekno link mod on the front and the other two links should be here today or tomorrow to fix the rears.

My end goal is to find the toughest Basher for the kids. Should I give the Kraton 4S another try? Should I buy a Maxx? Will the Kaiju out perform them both?

View attachment 352960

View attachment 352961

View attachment 352962

Ohh yeah on a side note…

I’m still in search for the best Basher. My kids will put this to the test when it gets here.

Dropping an old Hobbywing Max 10 and EZRun 3660 3800KV in it. 👍👍
Regarding the kaiju upper links, definitely a good mod and you'll appreciate it. The beefier upper links (I went Arrma 5mm links cause they were cheaper) slow down breakages quite a bit, but they still occur even for me. Now instead of the cheese metal snapping you'll be tearing out the arm from the inner hinge pin--albeit at a slower rate.

@dure16 kind of hits the nail on the head though. Nothing is indestructible, and you've identified the best of the best already! Now it's time to "mod" those kids so they drive better and stop crashing! ;)

I suspect the Maxx is the most forgiving, crash tolerant 4s on the market currently. The Mojo 4s seems pretty darned tough too, though not what I'd classify as a basher in the traditional sense.
Of course each of those are the most expensive as well.
If you're considering 1/10 scale, TRX might just have the toughest lineup IMO.
As to the Kaiju, I completely replaced the upper arms with 5mm turnbuckles all the way around. My belief is the lower arms flex soo much, the fixed inner hinge of the upper arms can't move with them, so they snap. Sure stronger threaded turnbuckles helps, but the inability to pivot fore and aft is whats breaking them.
I have yet to break an upper link/turnbuckle since.. nearly 3 years on the same set.🤷‍♂️

Kaiju with Mojave 6s lower arms, turnbckles in place of upper arms.. haven't broken any more arms, suspension plates and hinge pins, yes. Rare occurrence though these days.

Attachments

• 20220102_160131.jpg
    20220102_160131.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220102_160203.jpg
    20220102_160203.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220102_160212.jpg
    20220102_160212.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220102_220629.jpg
    20220102_220629.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220102_220638.jpg
    20220102_220638.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Sorry if my question came off rude, I just didn’t get what was going on here. You already have the toughest RC out there. There is nothing tougher than the Maxx, at least 1/10 scale and above. The Savage XS might be the only thing as tough, but it’s 1/12.

The Maxx is like a 10, the Kraton v2.5 like a 7 and the Kaiju like a 4 (in terms of toughness).

Sorry if my question came off rude, I just didn’t get what was going on here. You already have the toughest RC out there. There is nothing tougher than the Maxx, at least 1/10 scale and above. The Savage XS might be the only thing as tough, but it’s 1/12.

The Maxx is like a 10, the Kraton v2.5 like a 7 and the Kaiju like a 4 (in terms of toughness).

No worries I can’t hear haters anyway all sounds like love to me…

Thanks for the info! Nice video too BTW 👊

I suspect the Maxx is the most forgiving, crash tolerant 4s on the market currently. The Mojo 4s seems pretty darned tough too, though not what I'd classify as a basher in the traditional sense.
Of course each of those are the most expensive as well.
If you're considering 1/10 scale, TRX might just have the toughest lineup IMO.
As to the Kaiju, I completely replaced the upper arms with 5mm turnbuckles all the way around. My belief is the lower arms flex soo much, the fixed inner hinge of the upper arms can't move with them, so they snap. Sure stronger threaded turnbuckles helps, but the inability to pivot fore and aft is whats breaking them.
I have yet to break an upper link/turnbuckle since.. nearly 3 years on the same set.🤷‍♂️

Kaiju with Mojave 6s lower arms, turnbckles in place of upper arms.. haven't broken any more arms, suspension plates and hinge pins, yes. Rare occurrence though these days.
Not to derail the thread, but I think the single upper link may work better in your situation because you have the greater stiffness from the mojave arms. Having the wet noodle stock arms, it kind of makes sense that you'd need something helping to hold the top of your caster block in place. Otherwise wouldn't your steering geometry likely get out of whack under even mild power with the stock Ramen arms?

Not to derail the thread, but I think the single upper link may work better in your situation because you have the greater stiffness from the mojave arms. Having the wet noodle stock arms, it kind of makes sense that you'd need something helping to hold the top of your caster block in place. Otherwise wouldn't your steering geometry likely get out of whack under even mild power with the stock Ramen arms?
Perhaps, I'm not sure. I did replace the uppers with links well before I decided to try the Mojo arms, so I did run the noodles for a while. I really can't remember what drove me to try the Mojo arms now TBH. I think I was bending cvds more than I liked. Anyway, the truck is obviously more rigid with the Mojo arms, however steering is still not great. It's a basher, so I can certainly live with it. There's just some satisfaction I get from the Kaiju. Maybe it's the low purchase price. I know out of the box durability goes to the Maxx, but at nearly $200 less, I love sticking it to my bro every time we put them up against each on our track knowing my Kaiju was cheaper and has way more hours on it. That's it!!😉😂🍻

Back