battery charger and power supply question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carckton driver

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
im trying to charge my battery, 7400 mAh 4 cell, and its not charging at the amps i selected. i have a 12 volt 10 amp power supply hooked up to my hitec x4 x4 multi charger. the charger specs stats 200 watts output power with each bay/channel having 50 watts. when i hook up my 7400mAh 4s battery and try to charge it at 6 amps, the highest the charger will go, it only charges at around 3.5-4 volts. i find figuring out what power the charger is using vs what is being supplied very confusing since not everything is in the same units and i don't know electrical very well at all. why isnt my charger charging at anything over about 4 amps? i have tried using all the online calculators for calculating watt, amps and volts i can find but usually just to use one calculator i have to first use another calculator or even 2 just to get the info the first calculator needs and even then im not sure if thats in the input side or output side or if i have gotten numbers mixed up between the 2 and i cant make sense of any of it. thanks for any help in advance

Last edited:
To put it simply you only have 50w per channel you need 100w to charge at 6 amps.

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-charger-wattage-calculator/#B
Charger Rate Per Pack(C)Charge Current Per Pack (A)
0.34 C2.52 Amps (A)

It will take approximately 191 minutes to charge your pack(s) depending on a few different factors. The max charge rate calculated above will occur near the end of the charging cycle when the battery pack ramps up to maximum voltage. While the voltage is ramping up to maximum voltage, the charging rate will be slightly higher as max voltage has not yet been achieved.

^^^
+1
Your PSU simply doesn't have enough Grunt.:rolleyes:
It can't output what you are looking for. In this case no more than 4 Amps is available. Will charge slower at a lower rate.

At 6 amps you need close to 90 watts to charge your battery . Your power supply is good for 120 watts total . The 50 watt charging port will limit your charging to about 3.5 amps.

thanks for all the replies
putting the 50 watts each channel of the charger is capable of (i think to get an accurate result in that calculator i would put the watts of the charger where it asks for power supply wattage) it says i can charge at 2.5 amps, like you stated. but i can charge at more than 2.5 amps. as i understand if im only charging 1 battery (which is only some of the time) my power supply is more than enough. BTW thank you for that link. those 2 calculators are more helpfull than anything google came up with for me.
To put it simply you only have 50w per channel you need 100w to charge at 6 amps.

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-charger-wattage-calculator/#B
0.34 C2.52 Amps (A)

It will take approximately 191 minutes to charge your pack(s) depending on a few different factors. The max charge rate calculated above will occur near the end of the charging cycle when the battery pack ramps up to maximum voltage. While the voltage is ramping up to maximum voltage, the charging rate will be slightly higher as max voltage has not yet been achieved.

so i just realized something. say i set my charger to 6 amps for my 4s battery, whatever amps its charging at and whatever the current voltage of the battery is should multiply together to be around 50 watts (the total output my charger is capable of), right?

thanks for all the replies
putting the 50 watts each channel of the charger is capable of (i think to get an accurate result in that calculator i would put the watts of the charger where it asks for power supply wattage) it says i can charge at 2.5 amps, like you stated. but i can charge at more than 2.5 amps. as i understand if im only charging 1 battery (which is only some of the time) my power supply is more than enough. BTW thank you for that link. those 2 calculators are more helpfull than anything google came up with for me.

How many amps does it go up to?
so i just realized something. say i set my charger to 6 amps for my 4s battery, whatever amps its charging at and whatever the current voltage of the battery is should multiply together to be around 50 watts (the total output my charger is capable of), right?

It should be right around 40-50 somewhere in there depending on the efficiency of the charger and psu.

it goes up to about 4 amps depending on how charged the battery is.
Do you have this charger? https://hitecrcd.com/products/chargers/acdc-chargers/x4-ac-pro-acdc-four-port-multicharger/product

If so,

• Total Charge Circuit Power on DC Power:
    • 300 Watts Total Power
    • Channels A & B: 100 Watts each / Channels C & D 50 Watts each

0.68 C5.03 Amps (A)
It will take approximately 96 minutes to charge your pack(s) depending on a few different factors. The max charge rate calculated above will occur near the end of the charging cycle when the battery pack ramps up to maximum voltage. While the voltage is ramping up to maximum voltage, the charging rate will be slightly higher as max voltage has not yet been achieved.

No, i have the original version of that. Its a dc only charger
Do you have this charger? https://hitecrcd.com/products/chargers/acdc-chargers/x4-ac-pro-acdc-four-port-multicharger/product

If so,

• Total Charge Circuit Power on DC Power:
    • 300 Watts Total Power
    • Channels A & B: 100 Watts each / Channels C & D 50 Watts each

0.68 C5.03 Amps (A)

It will take approximately 96 minutes to charge your pack(s) depending on a few different factors. The max charge rate calculated above will occur near the end of the charging cycle when the battery pack ramps up to maximum voltage. While the voltage is ramping up to maximum voltage, the charging rate will be slightly higher as max voltage has not yet been achieved.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back