Does anyone use a power supply with a lipo charger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like you are going down the path of "what is the best charger".
I would argue it is the Junsi iCharger series of chargers. They offer high power and the really good part that has me looking at them is an extremely accurate internal resistance per cell function that is on par with the ESR meters that cost 150-250.

If you are ok with parallel charging then all you might need is an iCharger x6 series.
Or you can get the duo models for 2 lipo charging at the same time. These are DC voltage chargers and will need an AC to DC power supply. I want to say I heard they perform better with 24v power supplies versus 12v, but I don't have any evidence to back that up.

You can get just about everything you need through progressive RC.

Chargers: https://www.progressiverc.com/collections/lipo-chargers
Power Supply: https://www.progressiverc.com/collections/power-supplies
Parallel charging boards: https://www.progressiverc.com/collections/parallel-boards

If those things don't matter and you want a more simple setup then a Hota D6 has always been on my list for a simple AC charger with some balls.

Or you can get the duo models for 2 lipo charging at the same time. These are DC voltage chargers and will need an AC to DC power supply. I want to say I heard they perform better with 24v power supplies versus 12v, but I don't have any evidence to back that up.
Well said on the entire post. As far as power supply voltage, yes, you can get more output power from the charger with a higher-voltage supply, depending on the specifics of your charger, and supply.

Assume the charger has a 40A incoming-current limit. That's reasonable, though perhaps a bit optimistic (40A is kind of a lot continuously). If you have a 12V power supply, even if that power supply can put out 1000W and 83A, your charger will be limited to a supply power of 12V * 40A = 480W.

If it's a 300W charger, or if you're trying to do a 200W charge, then that 480W input doesn't matter, you have plenty of power.

But if it's a 1000W charger, and you're trying to charge at 800W, now your 12V supply is slowing you down a lot, giving you 480W to use.

Change to a 24V, 1000W (42A) power supply, and now you can feed 24V * 40A = 960W to the charger. Giving you access to nearly the entire 1000W from the charger, and significantly speeding up the 800W charge that you're trying to do.

Well said on the entire post. As far as power supply voltage, yes, you can get more output power from the charger with a higher-voltage supply, depending on the specifics of your charger, and supply.

Assume the charger has a 40A incoming-current limit. That's reasonable, though perhaps a bit optimistic (40A is kind of a lot continuously). If you have a 12V power supply, even if that power supply can put out 1000W and 83A, your charger will be limited to a supply power of 12V * 40A = 480W.

If it's a 300W charger, or if you're trying to do a 200W charge, then that 480W input doesn't matter, you have plenty of power.

But if it's a 1000W charger, and you're trying to charge at 800W, now your 12V supply is slowing you down a lot, giving you 480W to use.

Change to a 24V, 1000W (42A) power supply, and now you can feed 24V * 40A = 960W to the charger. Giving you access to nearly the entire 1000W from the charger, and significantly speeding up the 800W charge that you're trying to do.

If you don't trip the breaker for your garage outlets LOL.
Running the 2nd fridge and shop lights etc.... then add a 40+ amp load into the circuit and "click" all goes dark.

The only people I see running these are racers who have 3-4 cars and they need to charge multiple batteries and fast. For example, some people charge their race batteries at 40a.

The only people I see running these are racers who have 3-4 cars and they need to charge multiple batteries and fast. For example, some people charge their race batteries at 40a.
You can hit 40 A pretty easily at 1C with these car packs when parallel charging.

I posted this pick in another thread but I have about 40AH of 4S parallel charging:

D03E7D52-364A-4B24-AE7A-70639F7D936C.png

Last edited:
My power supply
C$ 376.29 | SKYRC EFUEL 1200W 50A DC Regulated Power Supply Adapter with XT90 Banana Connecter for icharger X6 308 4010 Charger
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO4ycOA

My charger
C$ 492.44 | iCharger 406 DUO 1400W Dual Channel Port 6s Lipo Battery Balance Charger Discharger
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m06UrxM

And for parallel charging any para board.

If you don't trip the breaker for your garage outlets LOL.
Running the 2nd fridge and shop lights etc.... then add a 40+ amp load into the circuit and "click" all goes dark.
But again, that 40A might be at 12V, so in that case it's "only" 480W, or less than 1/3 of the capacity of a typical 110V 15A circuit, which would be about 1650W.

What charger? And what batteries (size and voltage) are you trying to charge? A charger that can do 100W on AC, and 400W using a separate power supply, would see no benefit, if you only need 25W for charging your batteries.

6S packs max out at 25.2V, which makes the math kind of "nice". 100W, charging 6S, will basically give you 4A of charge current into the battery. For charging 3S, 100W gives you 8A. If you're charging a single 3S 5000mAh pack, at 5A, then this hypothetical 100W output is plenty, and you don't really need the 400W output that you could achieve with an external ~450W or greater power supply.

So, tell us more about your situation, otherwise it's all just theoretical.
I have a Hota d6 and a tenergy T180. I use 4s packs the most. I mostly run 8s fifth scale trucks. I do have 1 six s truck. My daughter has a few 3s trucks as well.

Sounds like a power supply could help if I’m trying to charge multiple 6s packs or a bunch of smaller packs parallel.

I was more less trying to understand why you would need or use a power supply. I am currently happy with my hota, but was just trying to understand this concept.

Thank you all.
To answer your original question, search Google for Joshua Bardwell Lipo charger and watch all his YouTube videos on the subject.
Thank you 🙏
You can hit 40 A pretty easily at 1C with these car packs when parallel charging.

I posted this pick in another thread but I have about 40AH of 4S parallel charging:

View attachment 285906
Holy crap bro. That charger looks like a bomb.
You maybe treading dangers waters trying to charge a lipo too fast. As for a power supply that all depends on what your charger can use. As one who has used lipo's for many years, totally disagree on your over priced statement. The ease of use and their self discharge to storage too is priceless to me. To each their own. Nice thing about competition. As far as a power supply, would not touch that, to dangerous. To high risk of fire and someone coming back with intention to sue for wrong advice. Good luck.
Seems like lots of guys are living dangerously….

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back