Outcast Bearings are annoying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

Reaction score
I no no wanna have to replace bearings :cry:
Which brand are you most likely to pick up for a simple basher who tries to stay away from the rain and hates driving in puddles?
I am more worried about not wanting to pull things apart just for a bearing and would like to get good ones and install "properly?" from the start.

Better get used to Replacing BB's ,or this hobby is not for you. They are normally consumable and critical parts
Yeah don't drive in the wet if you can absolutely help it. What I do. Water rusts out BB's in a heartbeat. Become junk fast.
TRBRC , Jims Bearings, and others are fine. Basic Chromium BB's are like $30. a set. Give or take. Is what it is. Replace them when worn. Neglect them and when they fail/explode, you are SOL.
Need to embrace the wrenching aspect of RCing.
80% is wrenching and only 20% is the driving aspect of this hobby. The more you wrench the easier and faster it gets. Break, Fix, repeat. Having the right tools means a lot also. Need hand Hex drivers. Makes a huge difference.
Not BS "L" wrenches as well. If that is what you have.

Last edited:
I swear it's a 50/50 on if I like wrenching more or driving them more...

I look for any excuse I can to tear into an rc and wrench. "well nothings broke let's do a deep clean today" 😂

I love wrenching on anything in general though...

As @SrC said, wrenching is a huge part of this hobby. No way to do the hobby and avoid it.

I look for any excuse I can to tear into an rc and wrench. "well nothings broke let's do a deep clean today" 😂

As @SrC said, wrenching is a huge part of this hobby. No way to do the hobby and avoid it.
I see many who PAY a LHS to "do their hobby" for them. LHS's love this type of Pseudo Hobbyist. Gets costly. LHS' make beacoup $$ off them. To do the basic things like charge their lipos clean and detail it. I've seen it all. I've seen some price lists of the most stupidist services that some LHS's have. They make a killing. One LHS told me. A shop in a well heeled area of Long Island, NY. Rich people suit and tie guys driving high end cars, Bentleys, Lambos etc bringing their Xmaxx's and TRX4's in to fix em up, clean up , charge the lipos and all. I witnessed it. Not kidding. The LHS offers it because some people want those things regularly. These Pseudo hobbyists, don't want to get their hands dirty.
Some just want to drive them. That is it. No interest in fixing or even touching a tool. :rolleyes:
Then it is just about driving a Toy car, like a young child, all sad when it is broken or the lipo is discharged. The fun suddenly stops. . All sad. Can't make this crap up.
When you think about it, that is Not much of a hobby at all.
I just cant imagine needing or asking a LHS to charge my Lipo. That's just lame.
:giggle:

Last edited:
I wouldn't let a lhs tech touch my Rc's . Pretty much the same with my full size car, boat and quad. I've seen the results that these so called professionals put out. Learn to wrench as you might surprise yourself and enjoy it and save a ton of money along the way. For my Rcs , I only really use 3 size metric hex drivers. Not much else needed. I found the original Arrma bearings to be pretty crappy out of the gate. Been really happy with the TRBRC bearings so far. As you mentioned, if you stay out of water, mud and sand, they will last a lot longer.

Right!? Tear down and get everything looking "as new as possible" 👍

A powered, torque adjustable driver with very low minimum torque and at least 5NM max torque, and a set of good hex hobby grade hex bits help a lot in reducing the wrenching chore. I have arthritis in my wrists and I try to manage. You’d also do well with a lighter / torch to soften any loctited screw, and some marker pens to indicate where which screw goes. I also like to use 90 deg angles for hex bits for those inaccessible screws.

A powered, torque adjustable driver with very low minimum torque and at least 5NM max torque, and a set of good hex hobby grade hex bits help a lot in reducing the wrenching chore. I have arthritis in my wrists and I try to manage. You’d also do well with a lighter / torch to soften any loctited screw, and some marker pens to indicate where which screw goes. I also like to use 90 deg angles for hex bits for those inaccessible screws.
@lee82gx if you don't mind me asking, what driver do you use?

Would also like to know as I currently am a manual only wrencher
Go to Jenny’s RC they sell MIP hex screw drivers. They are expensive but long lasting and won’t strip screw’s like the cheap ones.
You’ll need 1.5 mm, 2 mm, 2.5 mm, and a 3mm. They sell a three piece set 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5. This will get anything done on an Arrma. Jenny’s also sells stock parts for all Arrmas for way cheaper than any LHS or RC online retailer. MIP also sells the bits to go in a battery drill. They are definitely worth the money

Been using fast Eddy's for years. Better than stock I can tell you that. But, I'm just bashing.
Go to Jenny’s RC they sell MIP hex screw drivers. They are expensive but long lasting and won’t strip screw’s like the cheap ones.
You’ll need 1.5 mm, 2 mm, 2.5 mm, and a 3mm. They sell a three piece set 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5. This will get anything done on an Arrma. Jenny’s also sells stock parts for all Arrmas for way cheaper than any LHS or RC online retailer. MIP also sells the bits to go in a battery drill. They are definitely worth the money
I have the MIP bits for the drill. Work great. Someone posted these. Not sure who but, thanks. They work great. I bought the 8 piece set.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QGZW57K?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Last edited:
@lee82gx if you don't mind me asking, what driver do you use?
https://www.bosch-pt.com.my/my/en/products/bosch-go-06019H2181I don’t mind at all

Tbh if budget permits id have gotten the Dewalt gyroscopic screwdriver which is speed controllable and way more intuitive. The Bosch only works at single speed which is a little too fast for initial setting of the screw. But it’s 1/5 the price of the Dewalt where I live, and it’s designed and manufactured by personal friends in a factory next to mine. 🥳

https://www.bosch-pt.com.my/my/en/products/bosch-go-06019H2181I don’t mind at all

Tbh if budget permits id have gotten the Dewalt gyroscopic screwdriver which is speed controllable and way more intuitive. The Bosch only works at single speed which is a little too fast for initial setting of the screw. But it’s 1/5 the price of the Dewalt where I live, and it’s designed and manufactured by personal friends in a factory next to mine. 🥳

I start every single screw/bolt by hand atleast a couple threads every time.
Believe it or not if you do a half turn backwards even on plastic and wait to feel the threads line up you will make your parts last much longer.

I see so many folks just throw them in and run them down- cutting new threads each time... Thats a no go.... why put extra wear into a part just to speed up the process a few seconds?

Just this wrencher's opinion.

I start every single screw/bolt by hand atleast a couple threads every time.
Believe it or not if you do a half turn backwards even on plastic and wait to feel the threads line up you will make your parts last much longer.

I see so many folks just throw them in and run them down- cutting new threads each time... Thats a no go.... why put extra wear into a part just to speed up the process a few seconds?

Just this wrencher's opinion.
I totally agree. This is the way.

I've spent thousands of hours working on my RC cars (no exaggeration). I'm pretty tired of it to be honest, if I never had to work on another RC car again I'd be OK with it. I don't hate it, but I don't enjoy it either.

BTW, bearings are some of the easiest things to change (except the ones on the diffs), so if you hate it, well... yeah like @SrC said, maybe this hobby isn't for you.

I wouldn't let a lhs tech touch my Rc's . Pretty much the same with my full size car, boat and quad. I've seen the results that these so called professionals put out. Learn to wrench as you might surprise yourself and enjoy it and save a ton of money along the way. For my Rcs , I only really use 3 size metric hex drivers. Not much else needed. I found the original Arrma bearings to be pretty crappy out of the gate. Been really happy with the TRBRC bearings so far. As you mentioned, if you stay out of water, mud and sand, they will last a lot longer.
+!!

If you have the know how to fix something yourself, no one else will do it better than you. No matter what you have front and center of you.
This hobby is about fixing these models with your own 2 hands. You learn by doing.

Back