Outcast Bearings are annoying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you run on dry stuff and have decent rubber shielded bearings they can last for a few years. Ussualy the thin ones go out first. I still have original smooth like new 5 yr old shielded bearings 8x16x4 from my kratkn 4s v1
Yeah there is something to be said for those OG Shielded BB's years past. I noticed the same. QC overall with most things these days has taken a back seat.
We as consumers are expected to toss and replace frequently, like we change our socks everyday. Keeps us spending and sellers selling.:LOL:

Maybe from my perspective having built way more Kit builds over the years than owning RTR ones.
I bet 99% of RC'ers these days never built a kit from scratch. If RTR's never existed, many would not even be in this hobby. RTR brands have reached out to so many this way, to grow the hobby, This hobby for me started in the 1980's when Kits were the absolute norm . Models always were built by you from a box of bagged parts. Now RTR's are basically preassembled Toys that anyone can have. Instant gratification out the box. It is actually cheaper to sell RTR models. Kits cost more to design, package and manufacture. QC must be way more Spot on. Or that brand/model is a fail.
I can easily disassemble something and while reverse engineering its layout. Honestly it is all muscle memory. Learn by doing, working with sub assy's as you go.

>>> Would it be great if every RTR came with a 30+ page factory build manual showing Step by step each screw and part assembled in correct order??? Sure.
But that will never happen. It's simply not a thing. Never was with RTR Models.
A blow up diagram is as good as it gets. And if you understand it well , makes things quite easy.
I am a gear head anyway myself. I was a Toyota tech years back and all. Is probably easier for me. RC models are just child's play for me.
Same experience back in the 80's. Enjoyed building from kits. More emotional attachment knowing you put that thing together yourself. I remember planes were exceptionally time consuming. Purchased a box of balsa with a set of plans. Had to purchase motor, servos, fuel tank, and all hardware separately but again, that sense of making your own was prideful.

When you build it, you know how to wrench on it very easily.
I always rebuild most of my RTR Arrma's right out the box.
Is it necessary to do a complete, part by part, screw by screw tear down? No. But I do anyway. And it always reveals the many factory mistakes and QC issues right away. I then use the HH warranty. They can never argue with me, because it was never driven. Sometimes they will insist on me sending it back to them. I battle them on it and send them tons of Pix. I don't want a replacement, because I already know the next one I get will be just as bad if not even worse. Like clockwork. I tell HH this up front. I am not bashful. They already know who I am. I am in their system.
Just that they always drive better, and are generally more durable when rebuilt correctly. Unskilled fast labor assembles these Arrma's. They end up driving more like a quality Kit build, when blessed by my own 2 hands. Arrmas' will shine once you do it this way.
Add to the fact I like building them anyway. Just my love with RC's.
I don't mind spending 2 weeks with a New out the box rig on my bench.
That immediate joy of taking a new RTR and driving it right away is not a thing for me.
I am a kit builder at heart. What drew me into RC in the first place.

Edited.

Last edited:
When you build it, you know how to wrench on it very easily.
I always rebuild most of my RTR Arrma's right out the box.
Is it necessary to do a complete, part by part, screw by screw tear down? No. But I do anyway. And it always reveals the many factory mistakes and QC issues right away. I then use the HH warranty. They can never argue with me, because it was never driven. Sometimes they will insist on me sending it back to them. I battle them on it and send them tons of Pix. I don't want a replacement, because I already know the next one I get will be just as bad if not even worse. Like clockwork. I tell HH this up front. I am not bashful. They already know who I am. I am in their system.
Just that they always drive better, and are generally more durable when rebuilt correctly. Unskilled fast labor assembles these Arrma's. They end up driving more like a quality Kit build, when blessed by my own 2 hands. Arrmas' will shine once you do it this way.
Add to the fact I like building them anyway. Just my love with RC's.
I don't mind spending 2 weeks with a New out the box rig on my bench.
That immediate joy of taking a new RTR and driving it right away is not a thing for me.
I am a kit builder at heart. What drew me into RC in the first place.

Edited.
I would honestly pay full price for a brand new box of parts to build an Arrma, as long as I get a nice teardown/rough build guide!

Same experience back in the 80's. Enjoyed building from kits. More emotional attachment knowing you put that thing together yourself. I remember planes were exceptionally time consuming. Purchased a box of balsa with a set of plans. Had to purchase motor, servos, fuel tank, and all hardware separately but again, that sense of making your own was prideful.
I also built a very basic balsa plane many years back. Took me forever. My first attempt. I was psyched.
Wrecked it in less than a minute and accepted that Air RC is not for me. Never looked back since.:ROFLMAO:

I also built a very basic balsa plane many years back. Took me forever. My first attempt. I was psyched.
Wrecked it in less than a minute and accepted that Air RC is not for me. Never looked back since.:ROFLMAO:
Same exact outcome as you! :LOL: having said that , planes are so much easier to master now with safe technology built into them. Had my cub now for 2 years and still flying on beginner mode. Makes me look talented.:LOL:

Same exact outcome as you! :LOL: having said that , planes are so much easier to master now with safe technology built into them. Had my cub now for 2 years and still flying on beginner mode. Makes me look talented.:LOL:

You used to have to be a jedi master or something to fly heli's back in the day also. Now the radio's are so smart they aren't bad at all.

I've built a few balsa planes. I'd absolutely still love to build them but thier prices are ridiculous now days.
It's extremely calming/ relaxing sitting at the table cutting out pieces, fitting them and gluing them. Rc kits are the same but much smaller scale. Doesn't take nearly as long.

We used to fly every weekend, me and pops. Thought about getting a new foam style rtf and takin him out but even the molded foam planes are way more then I'd like to spend these days 😬

"I shall call it Preparation H. Why Preparation H? Because A-G failed!"

That's pretty much my strategy when it comes to bearings and what to pack them with. If it works then good, if not then off to the next idea.

Back