Senton Bearings Rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to really say that the stock bearings in these Arrma vehicles are just really, really bad. I love these trucks to bits but it has become obvious that almost as something you need to do before running even for the first time is swap out to sealed bearings.
I ran my Senton BLX on 2S for a day out in a dirt area and everything was fine. I got in some 3S packs and went for a run and the two bearings inside the transmission (so the 2 on the spur/slipper shaft) EXPLODED.
I don't mean they just fell apart... I mean I had bits of bearings here and there and (worse) tiny little ball bearings everywhere.... Including (and this was bad) wedged into the metal teeth of the spur gear.
This caused extreme wobble and rough spinning. I couldn't believe it.
Thankfully I had some bearings left over from a different project and I was able to swap them out. Between that and having to use an awl to pick out the ball bearings from the teeth, the truck is running fine again but I honestly don't think that is something that should have happened in the first place.
For the few cents it would cost Arrma, I really wish they'd give proper bearings to begin with.

/end rant
Yep! Had same problems, ever since Horizon Hobby got ahold of armma quality and service has suffered alot! Fast Eddie's the way to go. It's not really hard to swap out bearings just time consuming. Good luck ?
I have to really say that the stock bearings in these Arrma vehicles are just really, really bad. I love these trucks to bits but it has become obvious that almost as something you need to do before running even for the first time is swap out to sealed bearings.
I ran my Senton BLX on 2S for a day out in a dirt area and everything was fine. I got in some 3S packs and went for a run and the two bearings inside the transmission (so the 2 on the spur/slipper shaft) EXPLODED.
I don't mean they just fell apart... I mean I had bits of bearings here and there and (worse) tiny little ball bearings everywhere.... Including (and this was bad) wedged into the metal teeth of the spur gear.
This caused extreme wobble and rough spinning. I couldn't believe it.
Thankfully I had some bearings left over from a different project and I was able to swap them out. Between that and having to use an awl to pick out the ball bearings from the teeth, the truck is running fine again but I honestly don't think that is something that should have happened in the first place.
For the few cents it would cost Arrma, I really wish they'd give proper bearings to begin with.

/end rant

Same here. Brand new Typhon 3S stopped working after the 2nd run in some gravel and dirt. 4 bearing fell apart. One of them was a motor bearing.
If I wasn't a technical guy with many years experience in the hobby, I would have packed the entire car back in the box, and throw it in the face of whoever sold it to me.
Arrma can't use "Don't just bash. Blast" as a moto, but then go and make cars that can't really run safely in dirt or water. This is just unfair to their paying customers.
I'm sure that for every person that we see here complaining about a bad bearing, there are 50 others that have no idea about this forum, and have never needed or wanted to know about bearing replacement. And they can't be blamed!
Yeah, it doesn't take much effort to replace a bearing if you know what you're doing, but why should you?! In what world it is ok to tell someone that it is his fault that he didn't replace the bearings on his brand new 300usd car as soon as he got it out of the box?

Same here. Brand new Typhon 3S stopped working after the 2nd run in some gravel and dirt. 4 bearing fell apart. One of them was a motor bearing.
If I wasn't a technical guy with many years experience in the hobby, I would have packed the entire car back in the box, and throw it in the face of whoever sold it to me.
Arrma can't use "Don't just bash. Blast" as a moto, but then go and make cars that can't really run safely in dirt or water. This is just unfair to their paying customers.
I'm sure that for every person that we see here complaining about a bad bearing, there are 50 others that have no idea about this forum, and have never needed or wanted to know about bearing replacement. And they can't be blamed!
Yeah, it doesn't take much effort to replace a bearing if you know what you're doing, but why should you?! In what world it is ok to tell someone that it is his fault that he didn't replace the bearings on his brand new 300usd car as soon as he got it out of the box?
I'm with you on this one, not the way to hit your price point.

Yep! Had same problems, ever since Horizon Hobby got ahold of armma quality and service has suffered alot! Fast Eddie's the way to go. It's not really hard to swap out bearings just time consuming. Good luck ?
A friend of mine just got a new Senton, and the transmission gear exploded and some little pieces inside and made a mess just a week or two of running!

I have the Typhon 6s and have been beating the living crap out of it since February running in snow and water and mud and jumps 10 to 15 feet in the air and I still haven't replaced my first bearing on it.

One of the steering blocks needs replacing and I'll be replacing the bearings on that side just because.

I must have a hundred packs through that car by now, and I always run 6s. Totally impressed the Typhon 6s car, it's a monster!

Bearings have their lifespan. No matter what brand you put in there, they will fail at some point. It’s part of the hobby. I get that having to replace them so soon is frustrating but they are a dispensable item, in this hobby, just like paint is to a painter.
Arrma has to cut costs somewhere to offer the best vehicle possible under a price point. Perhaps it is the location in which it was driven more than it is the bearing.

Bearings have their lifespan. No matter what brand you put in there, they will fail at some point. It’s part of the hobby. I get that having to replace them so soon is frustrating but they are a dispensable item, in this hobby, just like paint is to a painter.
Arrma has to cut costs somewhere to offer the best vehicle possible under a price point. Perhaps it is the location in which it was driven more than it is the bearing.
What lifespan are you referring to? Isn't it obvious that if one would replace an original Arrma bearing with another original Arrma bearing, the new bearing will fail just as fast?
This means Arrma is selling us a bad design, not just a bad product.
If you need not only replace a bearing as soon as you get the car, but you must also put more money into it and get a 3rd party product - that's just not a fair play.

Also, I don't think that a rubber sealed bearing is more expensive than the original ones.

If Arrma would deliver the car with rubber sealed bearings, other shocks (to avoid the leaking issue) and some kind of cover to avoid all the debris in the car (at least in the right front, where small rocks can block the steering), Arrma could improve the car a lot without any or only minor additional costs.

Higher customer satisfaction without additional costs should be a no brainer for everyone that wants to sell stuff...

However, in general I really like the car and I think every car and brand has some issues.

Last edited:
What lifespan are you referring to? Isn't it obvious that if one would replace an original Arrma bearing with another original Arrma bearing, the new bearing will fail just as fast?
This means Arrma is selling us a bad design, not just a bad product.
If you need not only replace a bearing as soon as you get the car, but you must also put more money into it and get a 3rd party product - that's just not a fair play.
No because if you drive set A in loose dirt and sand and baseball diamonds and such, and you drive set B on pavement and grass, set B will last longer.
It took me one run on the beach for my castle motor to seize up and many more were close to doing so and these were sealed bearing. My comment is just suggesting to look at ones own involvement in said failure.
I understand someone pays $300 for these 3s models. That’s a lot of money for some. They could also spend $400 on a different brand’s and break axles every time they put a 3s pack in. Bearings wear out. They are not too expensive. Replacing them gives you experience. I don’t mean to ruffle your feathers, I understand it’s a rant and nothing else. I hope that Arrma fixes it in the future but they haven’t yet and it’s not really that big of a deal.

I replaced 85% of the bearings with Fast Eddy's with no problem.. the ones in the outdrives are truly a pain tho. I had to order longer hex to reach them. (although I haven't had a chance to go in and finally swap them out yet.) Hopefully I didn't completely strip one of the bolts using a poor quality straightened L hex and a pair of vise grips. ( which didn't work, hence the new long hex ordered)

A lifespan is not 2nd run.
I gotta back everyone else up here.... I am perfectly fine replacing bearings but if I have a bearing with a seal (no matter the brand) and it lasts months (in the same locations) vs a bearing that blows out after only 2 runs due to just being an unsealed bearing --- I'm gonna say its not the user but the product.
I love my Senton, I love my Granite.... but I have replaced the bearings in both because the originals were just crap.

Yep, Arrma has to cut the costs where they can - but as posted - the sealed bearings don't cost more. My understanding is the bare bearings make for faster runs (so I'm going to have to think that Arrma just uses them in everything because they want to claim the fastest vehicles which is a perfectly fine marketing thing). Personally I wish they had unsealed for their track cars/trucks and offered sealed in their "off-road" cars/trucks.
This isn't going to get me to not enjoy or like Arrma any more or less - its just a bit of a pain to know you have to do it. I'd rather spend $10 more on the truck and get sealed bearings than to just know (much like the STX2 radio) I'm going to need to spend $25 to replace bearings.

(Also much like I wish Arrma would charge $20 less and just simply NOT put that crappy radio in the box (but that's another rant for another post).

I gotta back everyone else up here.... I am perfectly fine replacing bearings but if I have a bearing with a seal (no matter the brand) and it lasts months (in the same locations) vs a bearing that blows out after only 2 runs due to just being an unsealed bearing --- I'm gonna say its not the user but the product.
I love my Senton, I love my Granite.... but I have replaced the bearings in both because the originals were just crap.

Yep, Arrma has to cut the costs where they can - but as posted - the sealed bearings don't cost more. My understanding is the bare bearings make for faster runs (so I'm going to have to think that Arrma just uses them in everything because they want to claim the fastest vehicles which is a perfectly fine marketing thing). Personally I wish they had unsealed for their track cars/trucks and offered sealed in their "off-road" cars/trucks.
This isn't going to get me to not enjoy or like Arrma any more or less - its just a bit of a pain to know you have to do it. I'd rather spend $10 more on the truck and get sealed bearings than to just know (much like the STX2 radio) I'm going to need to spend $25 to replace bearings.

(Also much like I wish Arrma would charge $20 less and just simply NOT put that crappy radio in the box (but that's another rant for another post).
None of the bearings are “sealed”. They have different shieldings. Some are metal shielded and some are rubber shielded. Rubber tends to shield better.

I think you missed my point but that’s ok. I agree the bearings suck. I’ve changed them and it’s not a big deal. I know where to drive to get better longevity from them. I know what to expect when I drive it in a location that has loose dirt or sand. I know that I could possibly break things when I launch the truck into the sky. I do it anyway. It’s fun. I only suggest that one take a little ownership in a part failure. These bearings being crap is common knowledge here in this forum and if someone can’t afford a new set right away, they should be more cautious about where they drive. $300 for what you get with these cars is an awesome price. But we all know that’s just the beginning of the investment. I hear your side and I get the frustration but it is what it is and you only have control of yourself. (And your RC) (unless you have an STX2)

I think you missed my point but that’s ok. I agree the bearings suck. I’ve changed them and it’s not a big deal. I know where to drive to get better longevity from them. I know what to expect when I drive it in a location that has loose dirt or sand. I know that I could possibly break things when I launch the truck into the sky. I do it anyway. It’s fun. I only suggest that one take a little ownership in a part failure. These bearings being crap is common knowledge here in this forum and if someone can’t afford a new set right away, they should be more cautious about where they drive. $300 for what you get with these cars is an awesome price. But we all know that’s just the beginning of the investment. I hear your side and I get the frustration but it is what it is and you only have control of yourself. (And your RC) (unless you have an STX2)
I kind of think we're both not understanding each other (one of the mishaps of the internet) :) ...
I hear what you're saying -- I am entirely that way myself.. my friends look at what I put my cars through and shudder. But I do it with a smile because it is fun. (I think it was a Kevin Talbot youtube post where he said "I don't care if others do it differently and want to say I'm doing it wrong..... It's a hobby people, If I'm smiling, I must be doing it right...")

I'm perfectly fine running my truck through (see previous posts) 4 inches of mud and having to swap out my bearings (and differential yoke because the outer driveshaft bearings overheated and melted the plastic). I'm ok with this because I know that is a ridiculous thing to ask of any vehicle ... (This was on my Granite MEGA turned brushless)
(so, "knowing where to drive for better longevity" is not really the point of the rant... ... and, honestly, if it was a matter of "if i drive in only clean areas to maintain the longevity of my bearings" .. that very much goes against Arrma's motto "Don't Just Bash, Blast".

In this case (my original rant), it was the Senton BLX (picked up so I had something to run while I waited for parts to arrive for above said Granite. And in this case, it was only on the 2nd run (maybe 4th battery pack... so roughly an hour of total driving time) and, at that, it was not on any crazy terrain or mud/water. It was a simple dirt track area. .. and for me, the spur gear bearings didn't just grind, they blew apart (see pictures).

Again, I get it (and honestly not trying to be argumentative).. it was the initial point of my rant... just for that... to rant and move on.
Sealed, shielded, whatever they want to be called, the rubber shield does seem to keep out the elements much better than metal shield.
In short, its just poor quality/quality control to have any vehicle have a part fail that easily/quickly... if after a month they went (under "normal" usage - grass, pavement, hard dirt) I'd fully understand, but not Day 2.
And for all I know the T branded competition uses the same types of bearings and suffers the same issues -- so not trying be "anti-Arrma". I still love these things and will continue to run them for quite some time.

Anyway ... hopefully this isn't read and ruffles anyone .. I guess my point is that, in my opinion (and seems to be shared by many), the quality of the stock bearings is not up to par for any amount you might spend, $200, $300, $800 ... /end rant about rant :)

I kind of think we're both not understanding each other (one of the mishaps of the internet) :) ...
I hear what you're saying -- I am entirely that way myself.. my friends look at what I put my cars through and shudder. But I do it with a smile because it is fun. (I think it was a Kevin Talbot youtube post where he said "I don't care if others do it differently and want to say I'm doing it wrong..... It's a hobby people, If I'm smiling, I must be doing it right...")

I'm perfectly fine running my truck through (see previous posts) 4 inches of mud and having to swap out my bearings (and differential yoke because the outer driveshaft bearings overheated and melted the plastic). I'm ok with this because I know that is a ridiculous thing to ask of any vehicle ... (This was on my Granite MEGA turned brushless)
(so, "knowing where to drive for better longevity" is not really the point of the rant... ... and, honestly, if it was a matter of "if i drive in only clean areas to maintain the longevity of my bearings" .. that very much goes against Arrma's motto "Don't Just Bash, Blast".

In this case (my original rant), it was the Senton BLX (picked up so I had something to run while I waited for parts to arrive for above said Granite. And in this case, it was only on the 2nd run (maybe 4th battery pack... so roughly an hour of total driving time) and, at that, it was not on any crazy terrain or mud/water. It was a simple dirt track area. .. and for me, the spur gear bearings didn't just grind, they blew apart (see pictures).

Again, I get it (and honestly not trying to be argumentative).. it was the initial point of my rant... just for that... to rant and move on.
Sealed, shielded, whatever they want to be called, the rubber shield does seem to keep out the elements much better than metal shield.
In short, its just poor quality/quality control to have any vehicle have a part fail that easily/quickly... if after a month they went (under "normal" usage - grass, pavement, hard dirt) I'd fully understand, but not Day 2.
And for all I know the T branded competition uses the same types of bearings and suffers the same issues -- so not trying be "anti-Arrma". I still love these things and will continue to run them for quite some time.

Anyway ... hopefully this isn't read and ruffles anyone .. I guess my point is that, in my opinion (and seems to be shared by many), the quality of the stock bearings is not up to par for any amount you might spend, $200, $300, $800 ... /end rant about rant :)
Perfectly put. I totally understand it was just a rant. I’m just fishing for a conversation. Thanks for talking??

I had one of my fast eddy wheel bearings seize up after a single run in a little bit of sticky dirt (I wouldn't even say mud). I was able to get it spinning again, but I was less than impressed. In contrast, my stock bearings although rusty, have held up fine even through the winter.

Maybe it's just a crapshoot with cheap bearings?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back