best battery connector for amps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the 'continuous' part that makes the difference.
XT90 are rated for 100 amp duty ,designed to handle 100 Amps continuously without exceeding 80°C. You can easily pull bursts of 300 amps from xt90, but when it's too frequent/continious they will run hot and melt the solder at the connector.

So if your xt90's don't get hot after a few packs of abuse, there is no reason to swap them, and when you do, why go for 6.5mm when there is also 8mm

Which 8mm would u suggest?
XT90 are only 3.5mm diameter? Tiny in comparison
I stand corrected, they are 5mm

Last edited:
I use 8mm bulletplugs myself for my 8S speedrun rigs and XT90S for 4/6S (sometimes with 8mm bullet to xt90 converters)
Anti-spark will keep them in good shape for a long time, so that should be a criteria as well.

Best is to check what your favorite battery supplier has to offer. You don't wanna resolder every battery you buy.
CNHL for example offers bulletplugs and QS8 at 8mm

Hi guys,

What is the best connector my 8s setup?
Currently running XT90 on my rig but then came across these bad boys - max amps @ 200A continuous so wondering do I switch or leave as is with my XT90 setup?
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/castle-connectors-6-5mm-011-0053-00
I recently switched to XT150 bullet style connectors which are 6mm guage. My reading around the interwebs shows a huge turn to QS8 connectors now. Similar style to XT90'S but with huge 8mm guage capacity but might be overkill for anything other than speed run builds

Agreed, QS8 are the standard for such high amperage on these rigs. It’s what I’m running and I have minimal issues.

The one thing that will happen over time is the male bullet connector will loosen up. You just simply need to spread them out a bit with a tool so the spring action they create on the female is tight again. Otherwise, they will pull apart on heavy impacts.

QS8/OS8 for sure. I have the leo 58113 1050kv, the old EC5s weren’t cutting it, they got really hot and one desoldered. After putting in the OS8 connectors are slightly warm but not hot, haven’t had any issues since.

Definitely QS8. The Castle connectors are terrible.
Out of interest, why don't you like the Castle connectors?
Reason I ask is that I called 3 local hobby shops (Sydney) & none of them have heard of QS8 hence I decided to stick with my Castle connectors as I was advised that they are more than enough for my application & in fact they feel great on my car - connector feels solid.

I recently switched to XT150 bullet style connectors which are 6mm guage. My reading around the interwebs shows a huge turn to QS8 connectors now. Similar style to XT90'S but with huge 8mm guage capacity but might be overkill for anything other than speed run builds
I concur.....agree with ya, however, some long term guys I have relied on with my 8s build for their input are using qs8.

You guys know a heck of a lot more about this stuff than I do, but the guys I asked also know a lot more than I do and they learned by trial and error. I was almost sold on XT 150, but one fellow in particular that I value his input a lot, said he noticed a little better response and a little less heat and some of his battery problems went away when he went qs8. I don't know....the difference is probably minimal, but I went all out on my K8 EXB
Reason I ask is that I called 3 local hobby shops (Sydney) & none of them have heard of QS8 hence I decided to stick with my Castle connectors as I was advised that they are more than enough for my application & in fact they feel great on my car - connector feels solid.
Never used them, can't give feedback on them

qs8 hands down. Get them from SMC, they are still the cheapest.
Below are the official ratings. Keep in mind that ratings are temperature based. Yes they can carry more but they head up exponentially.
I did melt off EC5's on my cars as well as boats. I swapped to qs8 on those.
Using EC5 vs XT150 really is no big improvement, not worth changing imho.
Never used castle, feedback is mixed though.

You will need a beefy soldering setup.

Connector rating:
Tamiya plug - 6.5 amps
Deans - 45 amps
EC3 - 60 amps
XT60 - 60 amps
Castle 4.0mm Polarized - 75 amps
XT90 - 90 amps
EC5 - 120 amps
Castle 5.5mm bullets - 150 amps
XT150 - 150 amps
Castle 6.5mm Polarized - 200 amps
Castle 8.0mm bullets - 300 amps
QS8 - 300 amps

Anti-spark doesn't cause damage everytime connected..I liked the xt150 amass. Sparks cause damage everytime.damage will cause restriction,restriction burns up cc escs

16361659541507541987277384440059.jpg

The higher the 'xS' the bigger the spark. Addition of cap packs increases this spark as well. In-rush current to charge up the capacitors.

QS8 have anti-spark build in (build in resistor). Forgot about that little feature.

QS8 is really good. If you want best of the best and slightly overkill there is QS

qs8 hands down. Get them from SMC, they are still the cheapest.
Below are the official ratings. Keep in mind that ratings are temperature based. Yes they can carry more but they head up exponentially.
I did melt off EC5's on my cars as well as boats. I swapped to qs8 on those.
Using EC5 vs XT150 really is no big improvement, not worth changing imho.
Never used castle, feedback is mixed though.

You will need a beefy soldering setup.

Connector rating:
Tamiya plug - 6.5 amps
Deans - 45 amps
EC3 - 60 amps
XT60 - 60 amps
Castle 4.0mm Polarized - 75 amps
XT90 - 90 amps
EC5 - 120 amps
Castle 5.5mm bullets - 150 amps
XT150 - 150 amps
Castle 6.5mm Polarized - 200 amps
Castle 8.0mm bullets - 300 amps
QS8 - 300 amps
100% agree about the soldering tip for the qs8, if you are going to solder them you will need to have a good soldering iron

Thank you for including the ratings, I know you speed guys really pay close attention to that, but us bashers notice some benefits to it as well. Thank you for putting that in here

One of my cables was damaged because they are very difficult to pull apart and after a few uses they were turning black from the sparking and some times the connectors would not stay in the plastic if they were re used.

One of my cables was damaged because they are very difficult to pull apart and after a few uses they were turning black from the sparking and some times the connectors would not stay in the plastic if they were re used.
Is there a lubricant we can use such as WD40 to reduce spark and help with smooth lubrication?

There is no anti-spark lubricant. You need to use anti-spark connectors or add an anti-spark line.

On qs10, no disagreement they are bigger, but for our applications it's overkill.
QS8 can carry 300A continuously, peaks up to 700A for a couple seconds. Our Lipos are drained before heat becomes an issue,plus the Lipo wires or ESC would be limiting the current. Again, this is for our world.
Bigger is better for longer durations in this type of environment.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back