Kraton Best esc / motor upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ39

Reaction score
hey guys. I'd like to get a new esc and motor .. my stock combo is just not cutting it for me anymore and I'd like something stronger and more capable of handling power .. lots of power
Kraton 6s v4 btw.

Last edited:
Tried and true system...?Hobby wing Max 6 esc/ hobby star 4092 motor. You can go 1730 kv or 1440kv i believe. The lower the kv, the higher the pinion you'll need. I run a 1730 kv with a 20 tooth pinion and it'll lift the front end up before it hits full speed. Its ridiculous! If you have a heavy throttle finger, it would be wise to go with a 18 tooth pinion so you don't over heat. My system stays at no higher than 140 though. ?

Tried and true system...?Hobby wing Max 6 esc/ hobby star 4092 motor. You can go 1730 kv or 1440kv i believe. The lower the kv, the higher the pinion you'll need. I run a 1730 kv with a 20 tooth pinion and it'll lift the front end up before it hits full speed. Its ridiculous! If you have a heavy throttle finger, it would be wise to go with a 18 tooth pinion so you don't over heat. My system stays at no higher than 140 though. ?
Thanks man.. do I just look at hw or castle for motors or is there some other brand that does the job ?
And would this max 6 esc work with my stock motor ? Work as in would it be more forgiving and not chocke when i abuse it?

Last edited:
Thanks man.. do I just look at hw or castle for motors or is there some other brand that does the job ?
And would this max 6 esc work with my stock motor ? Work as in would it be more forgiving and not chocke when i abuse it?
No prob bro ? the motor brand is called hobby star and the size you want is 4092. Type in Google search, hobby star 4092 motor. Look for the 1730kv version and pair it with a 18 to 20 tooth pinion.

I run a hobbywing Max 6.. , Hobbystar.1480kv 21 pin. Temperatures never really get above a 126 On motor! 6S all the time... Your.are gonna run a hobbywing . Or castle... The 2 different brands are like Ford and Chevy guys.. they Have their believers and followers.. It's really all about preference on what you're trying to do.. My opinion if you're trying to bash hobbywing is your best bet.. If you're doing speed runs you'll hear the castle guys...

Last edited:
Thanks a million guys for the help .. the only combo I can get my hands on here is the max6 and 1650kv hw is that ok ?
Or should I keep looking for the hobby star that y'all been talking so highly about ?
Found the combo for 235$ is that about right?
I run a hobbywing Max 6.. , Hobbystar.1480kv 21 pin. Temperatures never really get above a 126 On motor! 6S all the time... Your.are gonna run a hobbywing . Or castle... The 2 different brands are like Ford and Chevy guys.. they Have their believers and followers.. It's really all about preference on what you're trying to do.. My opinion if you're trying to bash hobbywing is your best bet.. If you're doing speed runs you'll hear the castle guys...
Yeah I'm more of a speed freak but not much castle around my part mainly hw

Last edited:
Thanks a million guys for the help .. the only combo I can get my hands on here is the max6 and 1650kv hw is that ok ?
Or should I keep looking for the hobby star that y'all been talking so highly about ?
Found the combo for 235$ is that about right?

Yeah I'm more of a speed freak but not much castle around my part mainly hw
That HW 1650 combo is well recommended by many here. I’ve never ran it but many well trusted others have and liked it.

only combo I can get my hands on here is the max6 and 1650kv hw is that ok
Very strong combo, I use a 20t pinion and can go higher in the winter time. Esc will thermal quickly in the summertime though. Imo the mmx8s runs cooler and if you can live without a sensored motor and don’t want to spend 230$ just get that and run the hw 1650. Either motor will like a fan or two. Not many options there, some have rigged up the k8s heatsink and fan others have made their own setup, I think the xmaxx one might work as well with some tweeking.

Max6 and 1650 have been working great for me. As @Jimbobjr mentioned, they will get hot. With some a little modifying I was able to get the Kraton 8s fan and heatsink to work and its made a huge difference. Also have a 3d printed mount on the way to put a 40mm fan on the ESC. Hoping that will help as well. This setup makes all my other cars feel incredibly slow.

Zombie thread should I resurrect or start a new one? Would the

Hobbywing EzRun Max8 2600Kv Brushless 150A Motor and MAX8 V3 ESC Combo be a good for the 6s Kraton?​

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back