Big Rock Big Rock 6S Conversion - Too Much!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contrakt

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Mojave
Well boys... I tried. I tried to make the BLX 185 system be a viable power plant for my Big Rock Crew Cab, but it’s just too much for the truck. First thing to be an issue was the battery tray isn’t capable of holding large 6S packs in place. A real nuisance. Second big issue was the 185 ESC is substantially larger than the 100, and mounting it to the chassis anywhere was a real chore. I tried tape, I tried screws, I tried tape and screws. I even tried JB WELD! The ESC just has no good home inside the chassis. The spur gear also stripped from all of the power. Replaced it with metal. The rear diff input and main gear then stripped from all of the power 15 minutes after replacing the spur. One of the Ragnarok tires blew. I’m done! The BLX 100 is going back into the truck and... word to the wise... 3s is plenty of power for the BRCC! ????

Lol I tried the same thing and the power wasn’t the problem it was the weight that broke everything for me?
And I managed to fit a HRB 5000mah 6S pack in it no problem
And for the esc I drilled new holes in the receiver cover?
I’m not sure how you pulled that off because the ESC is substantially wider than the receiver cover. I could get one screw in, but then on the opposing side of the ESC, it would hang way off the receiver cover with no home to fall into. Getting that big ESC to stay put was frustrating, big time!

I’m not sure how you pulled that off because the ESC is substantially wider than the receiver cover. I could get one screw in, but then on the opposing side of the ESC, it would hang way off the receiver cover with no home to fall into. Getting that big ESC to stay put was frustrating, big time!
I used the screw hole that was already there on the side of it closer to the driveshaft and on the outside side I drilled a hole in the far corner and it screwed right in with those holes... had to mount the switch down by the motor tho?

I have the BLX185 in my Typhon 3S but I made a new radio plate. Mine is a speed runner and not a basher so YMMV. I cut out the existing radio box and just left the stock servo mount. Then added a plate with matching posts and holes to mount the ESC, rx, and gyro (removed it since). A Turnigy Graphene Panther 5.0ah 6S pack fits just fine in the battery tray, but the straps are too short. I ordered some 400mm straps. Also have a WTF with a custom mount on the ESC.

66C69407-53DB-421B-BF03-89D68C9E8321.jpeg

I have the BLX185 in my Typhon 3S but I made a new radio plate. Mine is a speed runner and not a basher so YMMV. I cut out the existing radio box and just left the stock servo mount. Then added a plate with matching posts and holes to mount the ESC, rx, and gyro (removed it since). A Turnigy Graphene Panther 5.0ah 6S pack fits just fine in the battery tray, but the straps are too short. I ordered some 400mm straps. Also have a WTF with a custom mount on the ESC.

View attachment 73872
That is a serious rig!! Wow ?

I used the screw hole that was already there on the side of it closer to the driveshaft and on the outside side I drilled a hole in the far corner and it screwed right in with those holes... had to mount the switch down by the motor tho?
Ooooohhh you used the switch hole!

View attachment 73872
Yeah for a speed rig it’s totally doable because you’re not jumping it. When you jump the 3s rigs on 6s.... it’s just brutal on the drivetrain. But for speed machines oh yeah all the way the 6s made my BRCC sooooooo fast.

Its the jumping and bigger tires, I have a BRCC on 6s with metal spur and with hoons or GRP's nothing in the drive line breaks even launching it over and again, but when it was stock 3s and MT tires I blew a diff, input gear, stock plastic spurs and drive shafts all the time and a 5000 mah 6s pack fits fine in the battery tray you just need longer straps and I always just put the blx185 esc on top of the receiver lid with zipties

Well boys... I tried. I tried to make the BLX 185 system be a viable power plant for my Big Rock Crew Cab, but it’s just too much for the truck. First thing to be an issue was the battery tray isn’t capable of holding large 6S packs in place. A real nuisance. Second big issue was the 185 ESC is substantially larger than the 100, and mounting it to the chassis anywhere was a real chore. I tried tape, I tried screws, I tried tape and screws. I even tried JB WELD! The ESC just has no good home inside the chassis. The spur gear also stripped from all of the power. Replaced it with metal. The rear diff input and main gear then stripped from all of the power 15 minutes after replacing the spur. One of the Ragnarok tires blew. I’m done! The BLX 100 is going back into the truck and... word to the wise... 3s is plenty of power for the BRCC! ????
That sucks, but at least you tried.

Try shoegoe the esc to the radiobox works like a sharm shoe goe best glue ever
I personally screwed the blx 120+shoe goe because i broke the esc taps once in a roof landing

Well I have done close to what you have done. I took the 150amp hobbywing esc and 2100kv motor from my redcat Kaiju along woth a sr6100at avc receiver and 17mm wheel hubs on my Big Rock v3. I just used 3m two sided foam tape for the esc an put on the bottom of the tray between the motor and receiver box. Slight mod to to motor side of the receiver box lid. I put in the metal spur and locked the slipper, a modest Gens 6s 5000mah 60c battery and 26t pinion. I did have to print a 1/4 inch tpu tray riser for the battery wires to clear the bottom of the tray. I use a Spektrum dx5 with avc set to 60 on steering, 25 on speed and 70 on override. Best so far as of yesterday on my narrow street I hit 74mph and it has plenty more go in it. Trying to find a spool for this thing to no avail as of yet. But it is gonne be creepy fast. I'm waiting for the plastic axles or driveshaft to bail on me.

I noticed RCDude81 used a zip tie to hold a BLX185. (I'm guessing he also uses double sided tape.) I asked him how he fit the zip tie under the receiver box. He said he dremmeled out a channel on the bottom of the receiver box.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back